Imperfect Strangers by Mr David M Staniforth

Imperfect Strangers

by Mr David M Staniforth

101880,191 (4)None

I have posted this review on my website as well as below.

Imperfect Strangers by David Staniforth is a story of Sally and Keith.

Sally has just broken up with her boyfriend again and her friends are certain she will be back with him by the end of the week.

Keith however was creepy for me right from the start. His obsession with Sally was his sole purpose in life for the majority of the book.

This is a harrowing story of how easily mixed messages can lead down a dark scary path and well I’ve struggled alot with this book.

As a person who has not only been stalked but also someone who’s parents either physically or emotionally battered her this book was really hard for me. Keith’s mother was truly nasty to her son which I know is what lead him down his path but it was sad to read not only for Keith but what it brought back for me.

I had no real sympathy for Keith except in his past recollections. I’d like to say I did but I am a firm believer in that although a past can mess a person up it is not also what should dictate your future. He allowed his future to be dictated by his horrible mother and again I can see how and why but it is not a reason for him to behave the way he did.

Sally, well I felt sorry for her. She actually never had any spark with Keith although due to his behavior with her she wished there was as her past relationship never had the kind of obsessed love that Keith had for her and she wished she could return it but she just never felt that spark. Telling Keith that was the hard part because as she got to know him she liked the guy. Yes he had been creepy but his heart was in a good place.

The turning point for this pair was about halfway when Sally’s niece decided to give Keith a makeover and turn him into a likely candidate for her mental love triangle. I’m sorry Poppy recreating Twilight is not a good idea, although her reference to Keith being Edward was a little closer to the mark than she realised with his stalker ways.

I think for me the point where I knew the book wasn’t going anywhere near where I would be happy was when Keith had a bright idea to help Sally. The wrongness of his plan was evident when Sally did find out about it.

I won’t go further as I’ve said enough about the plot.

I really did not like Keith but I did understand albeit grudgingly where he was going and I guess why. I can’t remember the last time I truly did not like a character. Where I didn’t find something in the character I liked. I didn’t even like to hate him as is the way in some books. No matter how horrific Grizzle was in Staniforth’s Fuel to the Fire series she was a character you read to see good prevail and reading her was horrible but you didn’t mind due to knowing the pure evil in her to know that Davran would have to defeat her and bring good back to the world. That is not the case with Keith as this is not a fantasy and the likelihood of him getting what he wants is extremely high no matter the cost to Sally’s own body or mind at the end of the book.

Saying all of that Sally wasn’t a pushover she didn’t intentionally walk into this situation as people probably think any girl in this position might have. She didn’t go looking for a stalker or the events of the ending. Circumstances that occurred throughout the book, like in life led her down a path and no one was truly aware of where any of those things may lead except for the reader which is where after all these things happen is the perspective that people don’t get that is only seen from the outside or from afterwards. Sally given the situations she was in I think handled it as many would. That’s obviously quite a statement as it’s as always in these cases something you could not be sure of as you yourself are not in the persons shoes as these occurrences take place. It is easy for anyone to judge what they would do but until you are the one surrounded by the events you could never truly say what you would do and Sally in this book shows others how easy for something to spiral out of control when you have no idea the possible end result, because why would you?

I’ve been in two minds about this book all day but I think 4 stars is the right result for me. Although I hated Keith I can’t fault the writing and motivation for him. Same goes for Sally, the writing is flawless. This book gives you insight into what can happen with infatuation and Staniforth’s writing gives us perfectly well rounded thought out characters. The fact I hated Keith is his fault, he wrote a character that made me think of others in my past and it is that that led me down the I hate Keith path. The range of emotions and possible nightmares are a testemant to a great writer and I can only hope to write so well one day, bringing such emotions to my readers. ( )
  Spiderg1rl | Aug 12, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,747,722 books! | Top bar: Always visible