The Heartbreakers (The Heartbreak…

The Heartbreakers (The Heartbreak Chronicles)

by Ali Novak

Read my full review of the book at seriesousbookreviews.com! Spoiler Free!
**I received a copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley. All opinions are my own.**

I was in the perfect mood to start this book and it hit the spot!

I wanted to read a book that had a swoon-worthy romance and great character development--and I really feel like this book delivered!

It was great watching Sloane and Oliver grow as individual characters as well as in their relationship. I feel like there was a great balance between the romance and the character growth throughout the novel which made it very addicting to read. I couldn't put this book down!

Sloane's family situation was very realistic and I felt like it grounded the slightly over the top romantic plot. I think most readers can connect with the various situations Sloane finds herself in: a sick relative, leaving for college, finding herself. The coming of age aspect was very well done.

And the romance...Oliver won me over pretty quickly! I also loved the rest of the band as well so I hope there are more books ;) I will say that I didn't really like this one romantic plot device used near the end but I understand why it was used, even if I didn't love it.

Full Review: http://wp.me/p3txrs-14j

seriesousbooks | Feb 7, 2018 |
On a scale of Astrophil to Stella this book is an adorable sonnet.
I fell in love with Oliver the moment he was introduced in the most adorable coffee shop scene. It was one of the cutest things ever. I had to sit down and breath deeply to keep from fangirling.Stella is absolutely fabulous. Her sass gives me life. Every single character in this book is complex and well developed. Every single scene in this book makes me wish my squad was that reckless and fun.
I have a soft spot for Wattpad books and Ali Novak is one of my favourite authors. Her writing is breathtakingly amazing. I love reading her vivid descriptions not to mention the heart-racing song Oliver writes for Stella which is gorgeous.
I would recommend this book to anyone absolutely obsessed with a boy band because this book will be totally #Relatable. In addition, this book should be read by people who enjoy romance, people who don’t, your next door neighbour, you cat, and the cute guy you ‘accidentally’ bump into at the coffee shop who smells absolutely heavenly.
I am absolutely obsessed with the Heartbreakers and I can’t wait to read Alec’s story in Paper Hearts this summer. ( )
  Kaitlin_DSouza | Mar 16, 2017 |
Okay... cute. ( )
  mleivers | Aug 29, 2016 |
Having a love of boy bands myself, I was really excited about this book. It sounded right up my alley. The fact that on the first page there's a Kirkus Reviews quote that says, “...Fans of boy bands will be on this like tattoos on Harry Styles's chest,” made my directioner heart sing, “Yesssss.”
It was very fan fic-y at first, which isn't really a bad thing, just a slightly obvious thing at some points I thought. I was glad Stella and Oliver met in Starbucks first and made a genuine connection as people, though. Of course, everyone saw it coming that this mysterious boy she met was clearly going to be the Oliver. I resented Stella a smidge in the beginning, especially at the signing. Seriously, you're going to stand in line and knock the boys you're about to suck up to and ask a favor for in a minute? As someone who has stood in line to meet celebrities myself, it kind of pissed me off.
The whole first day they met was kind of frustrating. It was a bit predictable and I wanted to yell at Stella for acting like such a snob. After that, I felt it transitioned really quickly from her family back to the Heartbreakers. There's not a lot with her family, and I feel like it would have been nice to get the little in-between bits. Not just with her family, either. The Heartbreakers has a good story line, but it's like it only highlights the major plot points, and basically completely skips over the rest. I truly think it could have been a few books, but they wanted to mash it into one. It's really choppy, and I feel like her relationship with Oliver sort of comes out of the blue. Not that we weren't expecting it, but I wish there was a bigger buildup.
I have one more complaint, which is that Stella did not arrange for The Heartbreaks to meet Cara. Like, what the heck? That's totally, completely unfair. Cara is obsessed with them, Stella didn't even like them, but she's the one spending all the time with them. I understand they're busy, and it's a very nice thing Stella and Drew did for Cara, but if I were in Cara's shoes, I'd be hoping for a little something more than some signed merch.
On the good side, I like reading about the boy band world. I love all the drama and excitement, but then that they're still mostly normal guys. I like the incorporation of Stella's choices and passion and confusion about her photography and her life. I love that she has a support system in the three boys who mostly act like her brothers, and the one who's interested in her. All the members of The Heartbreakers are completely loveable.
This book kept me turning the pages, and the ending was pretty marvelous. I'm anxious for the rest of the series. If you're into more serious reading, I'd look for another book. If you're into fantasizing and fan-girling, though, I'd definitely give this book a shot. ( )
  jewelsk96 | Jun 28, 2016 |
There are many teens who love books about hookups with boy bands, and who will be pleased by this new entry into the category.

This story is narrated by Stella Samuel, one of a set of 17-year-old triplets also including brother Drew and sister Cara. Cara has Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma, a cancer of the lymph system that can have a good prognosis, depending on the stage of the disease and response to therapy. The three siblings stay pretty positive, and Drew and Stella look forward to “out-gifting” Cara on their upcoming 18th birthdays. They live in Minneapolis, so it would be just a “road trip” to Chicago for Drew and Stella to go the autograph signing being held by Cara’s favorite band, "The Heartbreakers." Drew convinces Stella it will also be a good trip to take since the signing will be near a gallery of her favorite photographer; Stella is an aspiring photographer herself.

Inevitably, there is a “meet cute” between Stella and Oliver Perry, the heartthrob “bad boy” of the band. Furthermore, Stella and Drew get to hang out later with the guys, and Stella takes lots of pictures. The band’s publicist thinks the pictures are great, and offers Stella a job to go on a two-month tour with the band and post pictures and comments on a new blog site. But Stella is reluctant to leave Cara; she has always felt guilty for not noticing when Cara first got sick, and the thought of chasing her own dreams while Cara struggles seems like it would be a betrayal.

Discussion: It may seem so from the plot summary, but this is not really a mash-up of The Fault in Our Stars and Angie Stanton’s boy band books. It will not break your heart (contrary to what the title might suggest) and is a good coming-of-age story with a dash of romance, and rock-star-back-scenes fun.

Evaluation: All of the characters are bright, funny, and likable, and the overall story will gratify fans of this genre. Apparently it is only the first book of a series, which is also good news. ( )
  nbmars | Jun 1, 2016 |

When her triplet sister Cara is diagnosed with leukemia, eighteen-year-old Stella puts her dreams on hold to move home and be with her family, but when she starts spending time with the lead singer of Cara's favorite band, will Stella resent him for taking her attention away from her sister--or will he help Stella find the courage to live her own life?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,430,785 books! | Top bar: Always visible