Bradbury Stories: 100 of His Most Celebrated…

Bradbury Stories: 100 of His Most Celebrated Tales (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Ray Bradbury

Member:cannellfan
Title:Bradbury Stories: 100 of His Most Celebrated Tales
Authors:Ray Bradbury
Info:William Morrow (2003), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 912 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Rating:****1/2
Tags:science fiction, fantasy, horror, short stories, collection, TBR

Bradbury Stories: 100 of His Most Celebrated Tales by Ray Bradbury (2003)

This collection got me through the last few weeks of a very tough pregnancy. I love his lyrical prose and especially his stories about Mars. ( )
  silva_44 | Aug 9, 2014 |
I think I need smaller doses. I'll come back to it, but I had to return it to the library, and that's OK for now.
  liz.mabry | Sep 11, 2013 |
I read this awhile back, before I was on Goodreads. Bradbury seems to be more conservative now from what I read...he has some opinions that I don't really think would benefit human kind, which makes me sad. Still, he's really one of the best story tellers that ever walked the Earth. ( )
  kirstiecat | Mar 31, 2013 |
Ray Bradbury was one of the true giants of 20th century literature, with close to fifty books published, including classics such as Fahrenheit 451, The Martian Chronicles, The Illustrated Man, Dandelion Wine, Something Wicked This Way Comes, etc. He also wrote poems, essays, operas, plays, teleplays and screenplays -- he was nominated for an Academy Award for his screenplay to John Huston's version of Moby Dick. But one of the things he'll be best remembered for is the hundreds, yes, hundreds of short stories he wrote over the course of his career. I grew up reading his classic collections, such as R is for Rocket and S is for Space in my school library as a kid, growing into The Martian Chronicles and others as I got older. For me, Bradbury has become one of my top five favorite authors of all time. He's had so many stories published in his lifetime, that it is sometimes difficult to track them all down. This collection, Bradbury Stories, assembles 100 of his absolute best short works, and is a perfect way to pay tribute to the master, now that he has passed away, just this month. It's impossible to single out which of Ray's stories have most affected me over the years -- he's such a lyrical, stylized writer, with a gift for capturing a "sense of place" and nailing characters in just a few phrases. But, if you've never read Bradbury (shame on you), I would definitely start with "There Will Come Soft Rains" and "A Sound of Thunder" (perhaps one of the two or three best "time travel" stories ever written!). Though those two stories are not in this particular 2003 volume (from which I'd recommend "The Burning Man" and "The Toynbee Convector"), this collection is still to be savored -- don't try to read it all in one short period of time -- instead, read a few stories at a time and spread out the pleasure. You've got a treasure chest waiting to be opened! [If you enjoy this, you may also wish to try any of Bradbury's other short story collections or novels, including Fahrenheit 451, The Martian Chronicles, Something Wicked This Way Comes, The Illustrated Man, The Halloween Tree, and many more. Another excellent story collection is The Stories of Ray Bradbury, released in 1980.]

Originally reviewed for my local library's website: http://www.lincolnlibraries.org/depts/bookguide/srec/staffrec12-06.htm ( )
  cannellfan | Nov 21, 2012 |
Bradbury's someone u either love or loathe. If u loathe him, he's forever the evergreen oldman stuck in a time warp, building stories with no beginning, no end, and no plot. If u love him, he's a painter - each metaphor a brush stroke that paints rainbow dreams on ur mind's canvas, and becomes part of your life. U have to pick up one of his books and read them to find out which faction u belong to. ( )
  shob.dw | Feb 8, 2011 |

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:45 -0400)

For more than sixty years, the imagination of Ray Bradbury has opened doors into remarkable places, ushering us across unexplored territories of the heart and mind while leading us inexorably toward a profound understanding of ourselves and the universe we inhabit. In this landmark volume, America's preeminent storyteller offers us one hundred treasures from a lifetime of words and ideas. The stories within these pages were chosen by Bradbury himself, and span a career that blossomed in the pulp magazines of the early 1940s and continues to flourish in the new millennium. Here are representatives of the legendary author's finest works of short fiction, including many that have not been republished for decades, all forever fresh and vital, evocative and immensely entertaining.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,302,683 books! | Top bar: Always visible