Powder Coating: A How-to Guide for…

Powder Coating: A How-to Guide for Automotive, Motorcycle, Bicycle and…

by Jeffery Zurschmeide

This is a great book for the beginning powder coater. The author not only goes over the fundamentals but you receive insight into most aspects of powder coating. Whether tips on creating your workspace, which home kits to buy, or the best paints and supplies to use, it is all covered. There is also a very important section on parts cleaning and prep work. The author wisely explains just how important this is to getting good results, and shows you what happens when you don't perform good prep work. Recommended for anyone wanting to learn the basics of powder coating. ( )
  David.A.Rainey | Jun 17, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book in exchange for an honest review. I felt this book was organized in an effective way. The pictures were helpful and well done. I can see this book being of interest to our high school students doing the auto body program through our Career Center. I especially like the project details sections which gave you information about the cost, time to build and tools needed for various projects. We greatly appreciate having this book in our library. ( )
  ASigler | May 11, 2015 |
I think this is a great starter book for anyone who wants to powder coat your porject. ( )
  aleigh115 | May 8, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received an early review copy of this book in the mail a couple of weeks ago. I have no experience with powder coating but I have painted a bunch of industrial machinery and I have helped prep for painting a couple of trucks so I am familiar with a lot of the concepts covered in this book.

This is definitely an introductory book. Before digging into the actual technical aspect of powder coating it covers everything from setting up your workshop and building a work bench, to cleaning parts and preparing them for re-finishing. There is an interesting section on how the finish turns out if you don't prep the metal properly. Because prep is so important to getting a good final finish the author goes over all sorts of options from detergents, solvents and strippers to sanders, wire wheels and media blasting. He also covers some repair such as welding and solder filling pitting.

All the projects in the book are done with either the Chicago Electric from Harbor Freight or one of the HotCoat guns from Eastwood. These are the two best known economy powder coating guns.

Once the project is prepared, the actual process of powder coating it is very simple and straight forward. It will probably take a few tries to get a feel for the gun and how to apply it but application sounds very similar to paint with the exception that if you mess up, you can blow it off with an air gun and try again (before baking).

The author says that after bad prep, one of the most common problems is not applying a thick enough layer of powder. It would be nice to have some close up pictures to get a new user in the right ballpark. Of course, a couple practice project will teach quick enough.

Overall it is a great intro to getting started with powder coating.
  ZechariahStover | May 6, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Great, straightforward how-to book for someone interested in learning about powder coating. Lots of pictures and I appreciated the author putting in pictures of what didn't work as well - for example, he powder coated a rusty spring without cleaning it to show the importance of cleaning things well, then he stripped it and powder coated it again - what a difference, and an excellent demonstration of the importance of prepping properly. This book has lots of useful information for the hobbyist interested in learning more about powder coating. ( )
  angw11 | May 6, 2015 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jeffery Zurschmeide's book Powder Coating: A How-to Guide for Automotive, Motorcycle, Bicycle and Other Parts was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,991,965 books! | Top bar: Always visible