The Occasional Diamond Thief by Jane Ann…

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is easy to read and a really excellent way to spend a couple of days. As a bonus, one of the things I appreciated most about it was its treatment of linguists and translators, which is difficult to do unless you do your research well. The author's representation of interpreting and translating is surprisingly accurate. The setting is also well built and intriguing.

The only negative is that the characters are sometimes flat and inconsistent; however, the positives of the book make this easy to ignore. I'm not sure I would read another installment dealing with these characters, but I would read something else taking place in this world. ( )
  raistlinsshadow | Mar 21, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I had a hard getting into this at first because of the present tense. However, once the story and the action picked up, it was a great YA sci-fi read of political intrigue. The end seemed like it might be open for sequels, and I sure hope that is the case. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Jan 13, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is not a book I would typically read, but I'm glad that I did. I enjoyed the two strong female characters and the relationship between the two. The writing created very vivid and fascinating worlds that were easy to fall into. ( )
  rpultz | Nov 5, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was an ebook received as part of LT's Early Reviewer program. It's science fiction, YA in tone, with some good diversity and some interesting world building, but it could have been longer to develop some of the plot lines more credibly to go beyond the YA format. ( )
  ronincats | Oct 23, 2015 |
Good book with a strong female heroine. Good character and world development. ( )
  lbmillar | Sep 27, 2015 |

On his deathbed, Kia's father discloses a secret to her alone: a magnificent and unique diamond he has been hiding for years. Fearing he stole it, she too keeps it secret. She learns it comes from the distant colonized planet of Malem, where her father caught the illness that eventually killed him. Now she is even more convinced he stole it, as it is illegal for any off-worlder to possess a Malemese diamond. When 16-yr-old Kia is training to be a translator, she is co-opted by a series of events into travelling as a translator to Malem. Using her skill in languages, and another skill she picked up after her father's death, the skill of picking locks - she unravels the secret of the mysterious gem and learns what she must do to set things right: return the diamond to its original owner. But how will she find out who that is when no one can know that she, an off-worlder, has a Malemese diamond? And how can she bear to part with this last link to her father? Kia is quirky, with an ironic sense of humour and a loner. Her sidekick, Agatha, is hopeless in languages and naive to the point of idiocy in Kia's opinion, but possesses the wisdom and compassion Kia needs. --Publisher… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jane Ann McLachlan's book The Occasional Diamond Thief was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,400,787 books! | Top bar: Always visible