9 1/2 Narrow: My Life in Shoes by Patricia…

9 1/2 Narrow: My Life in Shoes

by Patricia Morrisroe

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I won this book from LibraryThing and found it a delightful read! Utilizing her collection of shoes to tell her memoir I would rather you read this than me reveal her intriguing story. Grab a cup of coffee or cocoa, curl up on your couch and start on a Saturday morning and you won't want to stop until you're done. Enjoy as I certainly did! ( )
  sdmtngirl | Apr 5, 2016 |
Most of the time when I read a memoir or autobiography I am struck by the overblown ego of the author. This was not the case here. This really is a look at Ms. Morrisroe's life through the shoes she has worn and observed on others over the years and her experiences in them. It is not that she has had a particularly eventful life. She has not. Yet, I found the book both charming and for a baby boomer a look back at similar shared experiences and feelings right up to the present when the author has to deal with aging parents. A memoir without a lot of narcissism is a great thing. ( )
  muddyboy | Jul 6, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I won this book from Librarything's Early Reviewers giveaways in exchange for an honest review.

Patricia Morrisroe's memoir, 9 1/2 Narrow: My Life in Shoes, is a delightful, entertaining read. We learn about Patricia's life through the shoes she has worn. A clever concept that I would think most women could relate to.

The writing is quick and at times humorous as you see Patricia grow up from a young girl in love with white Mary Janes to a mature woman suffering from foot related issues such as plantar fasciitis and mourning the passing of a parent.

Loves come and go in her life but of all the characters, I felt the best was her mother. The banter between the two was worthy of a sitcom in itself!

A nice summer read! ( )
  NancyNo5 | Jun 26, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A few years ago I counted my shoes and found I had 188 pairs. I'm afraid to count them now, but know they are overflowing out of three closets. Call me Imelda. I may have to take Patricia Morrisroe's cue and tell the story of my life through my shoes. This is a pleasant and fluffy memoir about the author's Catholic girl hood and life experiences growing up through the perspective of her love of shoes and what they've meant to her. Shoe gals will empathize. ( )
  varielle | Jun 17, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Proust had his madeleines, Patricia Morrisroe has her shoes. Each triggers memories to bring us stories of the author's life. But while Proust disguises his in fiction, Morrisroe gives us a memoir. And an interesting one it is, too, as she tells us stories of her childhood in an Irish-Catholic family, her days as a college student and aspiring journalist, as a wife and daughter and caretaker. I expect I am not the only person in the world who has items in her closet that she no longer wears, for reasons of style or size or condition, but keeps because they represent a particular moment in life that holds special meaning. We can all relate to that connection between material and memory which forms the basis of this delightful book.
  lilithcat | May 23, 2015 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Patricia Morrisroe's book 9 1/2 Narrow: My Life in Shoes was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,065,451 books! | Top bar: Always visible