High-Powered Plyometrics 2nd Edition by…

High-Powered Plyometrics 2nd Edition

by James C. Radcliffe

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Well, this is a its not you its me review. I thought I would be interested in this, but I am not. The book seems to be very detailed on the subject and has lots of pictures to demonstrate the techniques... but I just could not get into it. ( )
  rkchr | Mar 30, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
[High Powered Plyometrics by [[James Radcliffe]] and [[Robert Farentinos]] is a detailed and technical guide to a complete plyometrics training program. In addition to 79 detailed descriptions of plyometric exercises, the authors cover the technical theory behind plyometrics and its effectiveness in their first two chapters. They cover training methods and equipment and how to assess where athletes are in their physical capabilities. In the last three chapters they cover training programs, both general and sport-specific programs, as well as year round training.

This book will be useful to professional trainers in schools and gyms, and in all sports. ( )
  jjvors | Nov 9, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is the second edition to the original 1999 book of the same name. I was not aware of the first edition so my review is a complete review of the second edition

The book is well organized. I particularly liked the Drill Finder page up front, as well as the page guiding the reader to the online video. The individual drill pages were excellent but it is quite helpful to have the voiceover as well as the video in order for the reader to completely master the nuances of the drills. One small issue is that in the section of the video and the book which guided the reader through the assessment portion of the sequence, the example used were of perfect execution and the way the assessment is supposed to look. While the authors incorporated some common problems found during the power assessment, it would be good to have a demonstration of common problems in order for the reader to identify the problems from an example.

Part I of the book detailing the Plyometric Training itself was superb, those four chapters laid an excellent ground work for the reader to gain a systematic understanding of what plymetric entails. The four chapters laid out the reason for doing plyometric training, the necessity for the trainer to be aware of the potential dangers associated with plyometric training if the traninee is not well prepared. it laid out the theory as well as the execution aspects of the training. The third chapter talk about the equipment and method used in plyometric training. Chapter four is the all important chapter on power assessment of the weaknesses of the person being trained.

The bulk of the rest of the book is centered around the individual drills for each area of concentration, but the more important section in the latter part of the book is the portion devoted to Plyometric programming for individual needs, sports, how to complex train, and more importantly, how to program a year long program. This part is also worth its weight in gold. It is a how to guide for the beginning coach/trainer to implement the program, it answers the questions at the front of their minds and even though the guide is not comprehensive, it gives the coach/trainer ample material to get started.

I would highly recommend this book. ( )
  pw0327 | Jul 4, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was not familiar with this sports training methodology, and I was delighted to learn about it. The photos and illustrations are clear and easy to follow. I especially liked the various charts showing "12 Week Conditioning Programs." They are arranged by athletic specialty, such as rugby, football, skiing, etc.

One aspect of HIGH-POWERED PLYOMETRICS that impressed me: The authors cite numerous scientific research papers when they make a point. For example, the authors note on page 11, "Research believe the rate of stretch to be more important than its length or magnitude." Then, the authors cite two separate research studies to support their conclusion. In other words, these are not just theories concocted in the locker room--they are based on experience and extensive research.

The book itself is well-designed and well written. The beginning of the book contains a "Drill Finder," to help the reader located the desired exercise. An appendix contains End-notes supporting the authors' statements, arranged by chapter. There is an online video that the reader accesses using a passcode in the book itself.

All in all, an impressive, professional book. Recommend!

Sample product for impartial review courtesy of The Library Thing. ( )
  bassocantor | Mar 31, 2015 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

James C. Radcliffe's book High-Powered Plyometrics 2E was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,157,473 books! | Top bar: Always visible