The Mystery Writers of America Cookbook:…

The Mystery Writers of America Cookbook: Wickedly Good Meals and Desserts… (2015)

by Kate White (Editor)

Other authors: Lee Child (Contributor), Mary Higgins Clark (Contributor), Harlan Coben (Contributor), Nelson DeMille (Contributor), Gillian Flynn (Contributor)7 more, Sue Grafton (Contributor), Charlaine Harris (Contributor), Brad Meltzer (Contributor), Sara Paretsky (Contributor), James Patterson (Contributor), Louise Penny (Contributor), Scott Turow (Contributor)

Have you ever found yourself wondering how to make Richard Castle’s pancakes or Kinsey Millhone’s peanut butter and pickle sandwich? If so, this is the cookbook for you! It showcases recipes from more than one hundred mystery authors, and chances are at least one of your favorite mystery authors contributed a recipe. Each recipe includes an introduction from the author, which may include a family history or personal anecdote, connect the recipe to the fictional world or characters associated with the author, and/or rhapsodize about the delights of food. Brief snippets throughout the book explore connections between food and the mystery genre that are likely to educate and entertain. While a few of the authors are foodies or have formal culinary training, novices have nothing to fear. Many contributors proudly declare their preference for quick, simple dishes! There are color photographs throughout the book, but the number is relatively small, so if you like to browse cookbooks for the photos, you’re likely to be disappointed. I enjoyed reading the fun, often humorous introductions to the recipes and enjoyed the playful tone of the cookbook.

Rachel H. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.
  mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Great book with insight on some of my favorite authors. Filled with good recipes and bits about what the recipe means to each author. I didn't "read" this in one sitting, but it is something I will pick up over and over again. ( )
  booboobad | Oct 6, 2015 |
The Mystery Writers of America Wickedly Good Meals And Desserts to Die For is a cookbook that everyone is going to want in their kitchen. This cookbook, edited by Kate White, is broken down in the usual manner: Breakfast, Appetizers, Soups and Salads, Entrees, Side Dishes, Desserts, and Cocktails. What's fascinating about this book is that all the recipes are from fantastic mystery writers. Over one hundred to be exact. The first recipe I came across--rum soaked Nutella French toast--told me this was a cookbook that a novice like me could master.

Each recipe is proceeded by a little history as to why the author chose to include it in this cookbook. This aspect gives it a personal touch that every reader can appreciate. White also includes a homage to departed authors such as Agatha Christie and P.D. James, as well as some fascinating facts on the art of murder and food. I also can't fail to mention the delicious photos taken of some of the recipes finished results. They will make you want to lick the page--but don't. It's just paper.

If you buy one cookbook this year, The Mystery Writers of America Wickedly Good Meals And Desserts to Die For should be it!
Read more at http://www.toreadornottoread.net/2015/07/review-mystery-writers-of-america.html#... ( )
  mt256 | Aug 18, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was expecting this cookbook to be a bunch of hoity-toity recipes that I'd probably never try. But, I was surprised to find many that look easy and yummy... will definitely try them. The list of celebrated mystery writers credited with these gems is long. Some of my favorite authors (Harlan Coben, Sue Grafton, JA Jance, and Sara Paretsky) submitted recipes. James Patterson's "Grandma's Killer Chocolate Cake" looks so much like my own Grandma's chocolate cake that I might have to see how it compares. Great idea! Great recipes! ( )
  catlinp | Jun 13, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Wonderful book! I hope to try each and every recipe in it. Wish there were more pictures of the meals, but the ones there are are quite nice. ( )
  Readanon | Jun 1, 2015 |

Paretsky, SaraContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Patterson, JamesContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Penny, LouiseContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Turow, ScottContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Hard-boiled breakfasts, thrilling entrées, cozy desserts, and more--this illustrated cookbook features more than 100 recipes from legendary mystery authors. Whether you're planning a sinister dinner party or whipping up some comfort food perfect for a day of writing, you'll find plenty to savor in this cunning collection. Full-color photography is featured throughout, along with mischievous sidebars revealing the links between food and foul play. Contributors include Lee Child, Mary Higgins Clark, Harlan Coben, Nelson DeMille, Gillian Flynn, Sue Grafton, Charlaine Harris, James Patterson, Louise Penny, Scott Turow, and many more.

Hard-boiled breakfasts, thrilling entrees, cozy desserts, and more--this illustrated cookbook features more than 100 recipes from legendary mystery authors. Whether you're planning a sinister dinner party or whipping up some comfort food perfect for a day of writing, you'll find plenty to savor in this cunning collection. Full-color photography is featured throughout, along with mischievous sidebars revealing the links between food and foul play. Contributors include Lee Child, Mary Higgins Clark, Harlan Coben, Nelson DeMille, Gillian Flynn, Sue Grafton, Charlaine Harris, James Patterson, Louise Penny, Scott Turow, and many more.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Kate White's book The Mystery Writers of America Cookbook was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,576,510 books! | Top bar: Always visible