The Singing Guru: Legends and Adventures of…

The Singing Guru: Legends and Adventures of Guru Nanak, the First Sikh

by Kamla K. Kapur

I received this book a long time ago from librarything . It is difficult to read because there are many stories and many characters so you lost the way a lot . the style is typical of indian writers with many teferences to indian language. It reminds me the book of the thousand nights and one night ( )
  obispo | Nov 6, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received an electronic version of this book through the LibraryThing Early Reviewers scheme. I must apologize for not writing the review sooner, and have to admit that I did not read the whole book - it is too dense to read on-screen, and there are too many pages to print out. So my impressions here are from my reading of the introduction and Chapter 1, and from scanning through the rest.
The book is tastefully and elegantly produced with an attractive typeface and black-and-white line illustrations, with ornaments that give it an Indian feel. There are many footnotes and a bibliography. The language flows smoothly and easily, and I think the book would appeal to anyone interested in Indian history, religions, mythology and legends. If I had it as a real, printed volume, I'd probably read it from cover to cover. ( )
  overthemoon | May 22, 2015 |
An interesting book giving an insight into Guru Nanak and the rise if Sikhism. ( )
  lbmillar | May 16, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Round about the time that Europe was plunging into the Reformation, Guru Nanak (1469-1539) was igniting Sikhism in India. Kamla Kapur retells tales about his life and works with the aim of bringing increased understanding of him and his faith to a wider audience.

It succeeds to some extent but, as well as telling of faraway times in faraway lands, the author expresses herself in a way that, although perfectly good english, seems to come across with a pronounced Indian accent. As much as it opens up new stories to me, it leaves me realising how little information I have to understand them in a wider context.

That is more my fault than Kapur’s but from my anglocentric perspective, I think I need shorter stories as I felt I hardly managed to digest them at all. I think this will be a book to return to in the future; it wasn’t quite such an easy way into grasping the singing guru as I had hoped. ( )
  wulf | May 14, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
received this book for free from librarything.com giveaway.
This was a nice tale about the singing guru, his travels, adventures and teachings.
What I liked about this book was that the tone wasn't moralizing, teachings didn't come as from above. I liked that the companion of the guru was an ordinary man with his own very human faults and everyday struggles. It was like reviewing moral and ethical norms, which should guide every human's life, through an adventure.
On the other hand I felt like I was a little bit too grown-up for this kind of the stories. Being eaten by the fish, transformed to the goat, converting stones to jewels. It's all would work more than fine if the pre-school kids were the Target audience. As for me, I am expecting more in-depth analisys and more "why" questions answered. ( )
  Nefrotete | Apr 24, 2015 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Kamla K. Kapur's book The Singing Guru: Legends and Adventures of Guru Nanak, the First Sikh was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,141,848 books! | Top bar: Always visible