Best Friends through Eternity by Sylvia…

Best Friends through Eternity

by Sylvia McNicoll

2011515,329 (4)1

Paige is fourteen, adopted by Canadian parents shortly after she was abandoned at an orphanage in China. As a result she feels as if something is missing from her life, coping with her insecurities by shunning affection and anything Chinese.

One snowy Monday the girl’s volleyball team decides to beat her and her best friend Jasmine up in retaliation for something they believe Jasmine did to a teammate. In order to avoid the route where she knows they’ll be waiting, Paige takes a shortcut along the train tracks – even though it means Jasmine will be left alone with them. Oblivious to the world around her due to the loud music on her iPod Paige doesn’t hear the train’s warning horn and is hit, leaving her in an irreversible coma.

From there Paige is given the gift of a week to return to her old life and right the wrong she did to Jasmine, with the caveat being she can’t let anyone know she will die. Paige’s new life takes many twists and turns as she desperately tries to help Jasmine, finding unexpected results from her last, fate filled week.

I was very upset the volleyball team got away with very serious bullying, as some of their antics could have gotten the girls killed yet no adult noticed. On the other hand I was pleased to see Paige’s transformation, as it could encourage some readers to rethink their own lives in a positive manner. I also liked the cover.

Recommended for ages 11-14.

Book review link: https://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2016/03/22/best-friends-through-eternity-sylvia-mcnicoll/ ( )
  sunshinealma | Mar 22, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book through the Librarything.com Early Reviewer program. It deals with death and adoption. It was well written and held my interest. I would share it with a teenage girl.
  milliebeverly | Feb 13, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is one of those books that you just don't put down; it's fast paced, but also easy to read since McNicoll's style is an easy read. I don't want to spoil the book for anyone, but I will tell you that I forsaw the ending and was disappointed because I wanted it to end differently.
The book includes many issues, including race, adoption, family, culture, and bullying so there are touch points for a variety of readers. ( )
  JRlibrary | May 31, 2015 |
When Paige is hit by a train, she finds herself transported from the snow and ice to the beach. Kim, a childhood friend meets her there and tells her that she is dead. Paige begs to return, hoping to change the past and save her best friend. This was a very interesting book. It was a quick read and hard to put down. I would love to read more from this author! ( )
  JanaRose1 | Apr 13, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A beautifully written book touching on the deep feelings, emotions and thoughts of young teens; paticularly that of the main character, a girl adopted from China.
This book has special meaning for me as I am the Aunt to a young lady (who is now a pre-teen) who my brother adopted from China. She too was abandoned by her birth family when only a few days old.
My niece is a joy to our family; sensitive, kind, observant and loving and Paige, the girl this book is written about, reminds me so much of her. I highly recommend this book for not only teens, but also for parents and family members to read as it will help them to understand girls in the family.
I will pass this book along to my niece; she is a an avid reader and it will have very special meaning for her. Thank you Sylvia McNicoll for writing such a poignant, well-written book. ( )
  joli | Apr 8, 2015 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Sylvia McNicoll's book Best Friends through Eternity was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,109,742 books! | Top bar: Always visible