A Sword's Poem by Leah R. Cutter

A Sword's Poem

by Leah R. Cutter

1915537,190 (4.31)4

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This wasn't what I expected from a Leah Cutter book as it had a much different style from her others I've read, but it was a wonderful book. With a Japanese style setting, her words give the story beautiful imagery. The worlds of mundane and magical come together in a wonderful dynamic.

*I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  UrbanAudreyE | Jan 24, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It wasn't a bad read,but I just could not get into the characters. I plan to try reading it again later,sometimes a first reading does not forge the connection needed.beautifully captures the era and culture. ( )
  Lizdugan | Sep 10, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
An interesting book, if only for its historical Japanese setting. My problem was that the protagonist repeatedly and determinedly made the wrong choice, at almost every point where she had a choice. I nearly quit in the middle because I couldn't bear to watch her screw up _again_, but I slogged through. Near the end she shows a few signs of having grown up a little, but it's hard to tell - she seemed to be thinking about her choices before, and still made the wrong one(s). It's interesting that Norihiko comes back as a human instead of a kitsune; everything's so scrambled at that point that I have no idea what did go wrong, but the fact that he could do that at all - well, kitsune are certainly depicted as flexible. I like Kayoku rather better than I do Hikaru; she also, by the end of the book, has grown up and widened her narrow view of the world. And it ends on a hopeful note, without any real conclusion, but not leaving all that much hanging either. I'm glad I read it, but I don't feel any need to reread; I've had quite enough of Hikaru. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Sep 9, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A Japanese fairy tale beautifully rendered in classic style of the Heian period by a westerner. Mount Shirayama must be saved. Norhitko, a kitsune, is killed in an ambush and his spirit is forged into a sword by an evil magician. His ladylove Hikasu also a kitsune (fairy fox) takes on a human form and seeks to avenge his death. She sets the battle scene to cause the death of Iwao but it is the wrong person. Masato an evil warlord uses dark magic with the help of Junichi the evil magician to gain the estate next to the mountain. Norhiko is brought back to life and defeats Masato but his ladylove pays a great price. In the end, the estate is saved and the mountain protected. ( )
  mcdenis | Jun 21, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Hikaru's love is killed and his soul used to forge a sword that can only be used by someone he deems worthy. Hikaru will do whatever it takes to have her love back, even if it means giving up everything she holds dear, including her special powers. Based in Feudal Japan this is a sword and sorcery (or should I say a sword from sorcery) story. While the story is told primarily from the point of view of the women in the story it is still a great read for anyone who enjoys fantasy stories. I really enjoyed the story and found myself staying up late and reading to find out what happened next. A great story.
  keith2237 | Apr 9, 2015 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Leah R. Cutter's book A Sword's Poem was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Leah R. Cutter is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,080,270 books! | Top bar: Always visible