Black Water by Bobby Norman

Black Water

by Bobby Norman

English (28)  Swedish (1)  All (29)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was one dark book. Definitely not something I would generally pick up. And definitely for adult audiences only. It wasn't bad, and in fact, well written in character. The way it sucked you in like you were there was fantastic, if not for also being disgusting. Maybe don't pick this one up if you're squeamish. Scenes depict violent and brutal rape, incest, and murder themes.

Smoke is an albino Creole witch. Lootie Komes is her ill begotten offspring. And Hub Lusaw is a murderer... cursed and spending 40 years in prison.

*I received a copy of this book for free in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  UrbanAudreyE | Jan 24, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed this book a lot. It is very difficult to read at times, but still I thought it was an amazing book from a first time author. ( )
  NickKnight | Feb 2, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Won this through the Early Reviewers contest. This was an interesting book. I liked the atmosphere, mystery and sense of the old time country swamps and byways of southern Louisiana where this story takes place.
It takes place in the 1920s through to the 1950s.
The characters were interesting. witches and criminals, good ol' boy sheriffs and country bumpkins.
My biggest problems with the book were several. There wasn't a single character that was likable. No one you could feel sorry for or sympathize with. Also sex. the book was rife with sex. Every character seemed to think about that and only that. The book could have been better if this was a little balanced out. ( )
  hredwards | Nov 18, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I pushed through the first 30% of the book. The first few chapters, as others have said, deal with some very unpleasant material. The next few are less horrible, but then the book returns to the original subject matter, albeit with different characters involved.

The writing itself was good although a little difficult at times as it is all written in the vernacular, and if the subject matter had been a little less unpleasant I may have enjoyed it more. As it was, the repeats and prolonged abuse of minors was enough to make me stop reading.

*I received a copy of this book to review. Unfortunately nowhere in the description was the subject matter explained and if it had been then I would never have chosen to read this book. ( )
  bellymonster | Jul 29, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a cross generational horror novel that spans multiple characters that are all interrelated. Set in the swamps of Louisiana, the language is written in a deep Southern vernacular, which those from the South will appreciate but others may find challenging. I found the work to be very readable, incredibly interesting and difficult to put down at times. However, the storyline did falter for me around 3/4 of the way in. Despite this, it did eventually recover and ended in a strong and interesting fashion. As a warning, this book is not for the faint of heart, since it contains graphic violence and many difficult sexual situations. ( )
  dmerrell | Jul 26, 2015 |
"Black Water" is set in the rural area of southern Louisiana where in 1924, Hub Lusaw murders brothers George and Matthew Komes who have brutalized and raped his sister Ret. The characters speak in the vernacular of rural Louisiana and they mostly are not fine, upstanding citizens. But "Black Water" is a memorable read despite vulgarities and characters who have made poor lifestyle choices.
added by adinizo | editGoodreads, Alice DiNizo (Mar 5, 2015)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Bobby Norman's book Black Water was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,542,225 books! | Top bar: Always visible