Distant Seas by Bud Sparhawk

Distant Seas

by Bud Sparhawk

92950,433 (3)None

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Not my cup of tea even though I am an avid sailor. The author seems to think that "sailor dialog" is profanity-rich and vulgar. I had to put the book down after 30 pages even though the nautical allusions were detailed and engaging.
(Library Thing Early Reviewer) ( )
  mfvetter | Apr 15, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Bud Sparhawk. Here is an author whose very name seems to conjure up images of the sea and sailing upon it. Bud, reminiscent of Melville’s “handsome sailor,” and Sparhawk bringing to mind the mast that holds the sail and the cold winter wind that drives it. Seemingly the universe wanted Bud Sparhawk either sailing or writing about sailing. As it turns out, Sparhawk does both. And if he sails as well as he writes about sailing then he must be a very accomplished sailor.

In Distant Seas, a collection of short stories all involving sailing, we are taken from the oceans of earth to the “seas” of Jupiter and Mars. The bulk of the stories concern two veteran earth racing sailors, Louella and Pascal, who find their racing careers taking an unexpected turn as they are compelled to race the gaseous sea of Jupiter and the sand sea of Mars.

While each bit of off-world sailing is obviously fictitious it is wonderful to see how Sparhawk’s accounts have the heft of detailed non-fiction accounts. Those accounts make up for the weakness in character development. This is not to say there isn’t character development, just that it is, at times, too stilted, too stereotypical to draw you in as do his sailing scenes. But the rap against character development is minor when set against the excellent moments of sailing adventure.

As I read his stories I was reminded of another author who devoted himself to writing about sailing, Tristan Jones. While Sparhawk is not quite Jones’ writing equal it was nice to have such fine writing remind me of another writer of sailing tales.

I received this book as part of the Early Reviewers Program through Librarything ( )
  AUCBrad | Mar 18, 2015 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Bud Sparhawk's book Distant Seas was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Fantastic Books

An edition of this book was published by Fantastic Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,329,040 books! | Top bar: Always visible