Secondhand Memories by Takatsu

Secondhand Memories

by Takatsu

4321267,810 (3)4

English (21)  French (1)  All (22)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Ah, the throes of teenage love.

Actually, maybe more like, uggg, the throes of teenage love.

It's a bit hard to say which of the above paragraphs I'd slot Secondhand Memories into. Because while reading about teenage love is like watching a movie in Technicolor, it's also like watching a movie in ultra-bright Technicolor, while hung-over, with a migraine, when workers are tearing up your street with jackhammers. Secondhand Memories wore me down. There's just so much. Written as a cell-phone novel, none of the individual "chapters" are overwhelming taken on their own, a page at most, written in what almost feels like poetry. But there are like eight hundred of them. Eight hundred little, angst-ridden, teenager-problems, non-rhyming poems, which often repeat what the previous little, angst-ridden, teenager-problems, non-rhyming poem has just told us. Likely in a serialized form, this isn't so grating: your phone beeps with a little dash of literature in your day, huzzah! But lined up the way it is, one after another, so much teenage angst. So much. So much much much much much much much.

The plot is pretty standard soap-opera. Boy and Girl fall in love. Something a bit spooky goes on. Then girl falls in coma. Boy doesn't know what to do with his life. Meets another girl. Now what? Does he wait forever for Girl One (Coma) to wake up or move on with Girl Two? Boy, of course, has zero flaws, and the flaws he does have are those sorts of flaws wounded heroes have, which aren't really flaws as much as attributes. There's a cartoony villain and a whole roster of vaguely interchangeable friends. They go to Kyoto (where FamilyMart still owes me the 100 Yen I dropped in their ice cream freezer and couldn't get out). They get almost-mugged by some Nazis. You know, typical. It doesn't really matter. We're about seven-hundred-and-ninety-eight little, angst-ridden, teenager-problems, non-rhyming poems too many to really matter.

It's a diversion, like bad television. Not much more. You kind of get into the groove of it and then are too lazy to change to the channel.

Secondhand Memories by Takatsu went on sale December 24, 2014.

I received a copy free from Librarything in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  reluctantm | Jun 27, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is like reading the facebook status updates of a mourning, depressed teenager who is afraid moving on with his life will somehow ruin his memories of his first love. If you care about the protagonist, this can work, but I don't think it worked for me.

At first, the dreamy quality of the short prose felt like strange poetry, especially suited to the love and mystery of the book. But unfortunately, it kind of turns to wallowing in misery and then a decided lack of character growth or plot advancement. I'm not a big fan of the tragic love story rich with self-contemplation, I guess. There's hints of a mystery early on and repeated a few times, but it's halfway through the book and the narrator is still too wrapped up in his own sorrow to contemplate anything bigger. I've tried to read this for half a year, but I think it's time to accept that this one just isn't for me a move on. ( )
1 vote terriko | Dec 13, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I've never actually read a cell phone novel before. I've heard of them, but this was a first for me, and in some ways this was a lot like reading a novel in verse, with short chapters (often only about a page), and quick and simple descriptions. It was interesting. And, honestly, I think the format is fun, and definitely makes for a quick read. Still, I had some issues with this novel. I wanted to enjoy it, and I definitely enjoyed reading about some of the awesome places I got to visit while in Japan, but I just had a hard time with the characters. They were a little more difficult to identify with than I cared for, which made things tedious. Their emotions rocketed all over the place and there was no firm grasp of their motivations. Which is probably more accurate for teens than I care to admit, but still, it made for trying reading. Anyhow, definitely a fun format, and it made me miss Japan (and the amazing food...what I wouldn't give for some good Japanese food, haha!), but just not a novel for me. ( )
  Meradeth | Nov 15, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book free in exchange for an HONEST review. This is my opinion...

This was my first introduction to what they have termed a "cell phone" novel and at first I enjoyed it. BUT, the author became VERY,VERY repetitive. It seemed as if he wanted to make the story as long as possible and even forgot what was written previously with multiple scenes/installments resembling each other so closely that the story moved like a snail through superglue. After about halfway through 400+ pages, I decided to call it quits. There is no surprise/shocking ending worth the CONSTANT repetition of the same ideas over and over and over and over.

The main character cries, wonders when his girlfriend will wake up from the coma, goes out with his friends, cries, feels guilty for having fun, wonders when /if his GF will wake up, kisses a girl, cries, feels guilty, wonders if his GF will wake up, goes to a party, cries....BLAH BLAH BLAH...so in 400+ pages, about 380+ were like this...the other 20 pages actually advanced the story. What makes it even sadder is that those 20 pages of story were pretty decent. If the author would have just cut out all the silliness of repeating himself, it would have been quite a good read (up to where I got to anyways).

Perhaps if it is read in daily installments while commuting to and from work/school it would be worth my time...in book form, not so much...interesting at first but extremely drawn out (like this review is slowly becoming). ( )
  Disco_grinch | Nov 13, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is my first experience with a 'cell phone novel' and if you think it's hard reading something on your iPhone, this is so much worse.

Each chapter is excruciatingly short and dramatic. Two chapters may cover the same thing just in a different way. It's certainly an INTERESTING way to write and read a story, although I'm thinking it might come off better in Japanese.

The characters weren't quite introduced so much as they are just there and then the drama happens. The writing was so-so. The plot may have been ok but I couldn't drag myself through more than half of it. ( )
  Ignolopi | Aug 27, 2015 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Takatsu's book Secondhand Memories was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,196,160 books! | Top bar: Always visible