The Last Good Day of the Year by Jessica…

The Last Good Day of the Year

by Jessica Warman

The Good & the Meh
* It was a quick read. I finished it in a few hours and I was (mostly) entertained while reading.
* Secondary characters were interesting. I’m not sure why some were included though (I’m talking about you, Noah)
* Some of the long passages about random stuff were obviously used as filler, but it was sometimes rather interesting. Sometimes
* Sam’s father stole the show. His quiet derision and dislike of himself was heartbreaking to read. I felt terrible for him.

The Bad & the Annoying
* Not much leading up to ending. No climax really, just “here’s what happened”. I wanted more oomph.
* The rushed “and this is what happened to so-and-so” sucked. A little blurb about the rest of the characters lives does not an ending make.
* We never really find out what happens to Turtle and that really pissed me off. At least tell me [Spoiler]
* Nothing was really solved. [Spoiler]. I need to know!
* Gretchen was a cold ass bitch. I don’t understand why she and Abby [Spoiler]

Questions I Have After Reading:
WHAT happened to Turtle? What did that monster do to her?
Were Gretchen and Abby lesbians? i didn’t get their relationship. it seemed like a big ol’ clusterfuck.
Why was Noah even in the story? What was his role, anyway? He didn’t do anything but be annoying. Oh, and apparently, he smells. Yuck.

My Notes While Reading
Chapter 10
Sam’s mom is one hell of a character but the dad, who is always in the background, seems a little more human. His sorrow and heartbreak is pitiful and really shows that the author can write.
“And I deserve that. Don’t shake your head, because you know it’s true. This is my life and my hell, and this is where I have to stay, because if Sharon or Sam or Gretchen calls my name and I’m not there … I don’t know. I can’t think about it. It kills me every morning. I hear her screaming for me every morning.”

Chapter 11
Not sure what to make of the mom. She’s pretty fucked up all around. She was even before Turtle disappeared. Sam has a weird relationship with her.
“She’s not happy, Remy. She’ll never be happy. But at least now she doesn’t sleep for twenty hours a day. Now she doesn’t have to use prescription eyedrops because her eyes are so dried out from crying—crying every day for so many years that it’s starting to permanently affect her vision.”

Conclusion:
I’m kind of pissed now that I think about all that stuff. I give it a solid 3.5. ( )
  taranator | Jul 11, 2017 |
Read this after a Year 9 student recommended it to me. This is about 16 year old Sam and Remy who live next door to each other in a small country town in the USA. Sam and her family have lived elsewhere for 10 years after the Christmas Eve 10 years ago when Sam's little sister was stolen from her sleeping bag next to her and Remy while their parents partied upstairs. Sam and Remy were able to identify the local disabled handyman as the kidnapper but Turtle's body has never been found. Sam comes back to town where everything has changed - her best friend,her tortured older sister, her mother who has had a new child to "replace" Turtle, Remy himself and also there are a lot of people in the neighborhood who think that the handyman is innocent (after an investigative reporter's book on the case.) She must look at herself , the past and the present - did she identify the wrong man? What did Remy see that night?
This kept me reading right to the end but I sort of worked out what was happening about three-quarters into the plot. There are a lot of references to alcohol, drugs and sex and some parts are quite graphic and violent. Not for the squeamish but I guess if you are watching "Walking Dead", this might seem pretty tame. ( )
  nicsreads | Nov 8, 2016 |
Samantha, Sam, is living in a confusing world that is still in a whirl wind 10 years after the abduction and supposed murder of her 4 year old baby sister, Tabitha, known as Turtle.
On New Years Eve, with all the adults upstairs partying, the youngsters are in the basement tucked into their sleeping bags when 4 year old Turtle is taken by an individual dressed up as Santa Claus. 7 year old Sam and her best friend Remy witness the abduction and both swear it is a guy in the neighborhood that they know as Steven. Steven, who has some mental issues due to a skull accident in his teen years is arrested and tried for the crime and convicted. 10 years later, the family has moved back into their old house and neighborhood where the incident took place and are facing the memories of the past. After reconnecting with her childhood friend, Remy, all the details of Turtle's abduction begin to come into question for the teens as they examine their emotions and memories of long ago. The truth comes blaring into view as the bits and pieces are finally wound together and the truth of long ago is uncovered. The ending is quick and abrupt and I think could have been a little more detailed, but the mystery is solved. ( )
  perkypup36 | Oct 12, 2015 |
Does a family ever recover from the disappearance and/or death of a child? Many times we can read about a child disappearing and we can sympathize but we really have no idea how it is for the families left behind.
On New Year's Eve/day 1986, while their parent were still welcoming in the new year, seven year old Sam and her best friend Remy tried to appear asleep as they watched in terror as Santa Claus came through the back yard, opened the sliding glass door and kidnapped Sam's four year old sister. The man they identified spent the next ten years on death row, even though Turtle's body was never found, which is where we come back into the story ten years later. The book then goes back and forth between the time periods little by little giving us more pieces of the story to bring us closer to the truth of what happened to Turtle.
This book, classified as a thriller/mystery also gives us a heartbreaking glimpse of what happens to the broken families after the disappearance of a child. They are each left with their own nightmare; anger and guilt on top of their grief as well as endless questions of what they could have done differently and they still hold out a little hope since the body was never found. The Myers family all were affected differently but were all haunted by the event that shattered their family.
The Myers moved away to put some distance from the tragedy and tried to put themselves back together. As Sam got older, she still had unanswered questions and when circumstance brought them back to their old house 10 years after the kidnapping, Sam reconnects with Remy and the two of them try to come to terms with the possibility that the facts they remembered maybe not being as they seemed.
Tissues may be required with the reading of this book. That one event set the stage for the destruction of the members of the family and it was heartbreaking to read. There are definitely some chills up your spine moments and the ending blew me away. This is a quick read that will leave you haunted. ( )
  maggie1961 | Aug 9, 2015 |

Ten years ago, seven-year-old Samantha and her next door neighbor Remy watched helplessly as Sam's little sister was kidnapped. Later, Remy and Sam identified the man and he was sent to prison.

Now, Sam's shattered family is returning to her childhood home in an effort to heal. As long-buried memories begin to surface, she and Remy wonder what they really saw. The more they re-examine the events of that fateful night, the more questions they have about what happened to Turtle . . . and they become more certain that Turtle's killer is still out there, hidden amongst the members of their tight-knit community.

Master storyteller Jessica Warman keeps readers guessing in an arresting page-turner that questions whether the potential for evil lurks within us all.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:22 -0400)

Ten years after Samantha and her next door neighbor Remy watched as a man broke into Sam's home and lifted her younger sister, Turtle, from her sleeping bag, Sam's shattered family returns to her childhood home in an effort to heal, and the more they re-examine the events of that fateful night, the more questions they discover about what really happened to Turtle.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,400,773 books! | Top bar: Always visible