All Sales Final by Josie Belle

All Sales Final

by Josie Belle

Maggie Gerber’s wedding to her high-school sweetheart Sam Collins, local police chief, is a few weeks away. She doesn’t have a dress … she doesn’t even have a venue. But they do pick a house together – a vintage home that needs a little TLC. When they discover the skeletonized remains of a World War II pilot in the basement, Maggie imagines the house is haunted. Actually, she thought the house was haunted BEFORE finding the skeleton, finding it just confirmed it in her mind.

Sam tries to convince Maggie that there are no ghosts in the house or anywhere. Still, Maggie wants to find more out about who might have killed the guy some 70 years ago. Meantime, pressure is on from both mothers-in-law and Maggie’s “Good Buy Girls” – her bargain-hunting buddies – to figure out where the wedding is going to be and just what the widowed Maggie is wearing.

And the Good Buy Girls appear to have a new member, Maggie’s life-long nemesis and arch-enemy. Summer Fawkes, newly married and trying to turn over a new leaf, is all of a sudden making nice with Maggie. She’s warning Maggie that a former female colleague Sam has brought in to help with the case appears to be more than a colleague to Sam. “Andy” is trying to woo Sam back to Richmond and away from St. Stanley, Virginia. Will she succeed?

This is a sweet little series, with books that are quick reads but still manage to satisfy. All Sales Final seems to have a finality to it … an ending that wraps up all the loose ends and seems like a “good bye” to the Good Buy Girls. I haven’t confirmed that, but maybe the author has tapped out the potential of the series. It was great while it lasted and if there IS a #6, all the better. ( )
  NewsieQ | Apr 2, 2016 |
There are three big questions in All Sales Final: (1) Why's Maggie dragging her feet over this wedding? (2) Who's the skeleton in the basement and who killed him? and (3) What's up with Maggie's arch enemy, Summer? Author Josie Belle (AKA Jenn McKinlay) answers them all in fine-- if a bit rushed-- style.

Any woman who's marrying at Maggie's age is going to have some emotional baggage and some serious doubts, and McKinlay deals with these issues in a sensitive, understanding manner that fits the characters of both Maggie and Sam. A good deal of the humor in this book revolves around Maggie's enemy- since-high-school, Summer-- a character that I always found a bit over-the-top. Summer undergoes a bit of a transformation in All Sales Final that I found not only funny but believable.

I mentioned above that I felt this book was a bit rushed. Several elements could have been developed more fully, but part of me understands why they weren't. This is-- sadly-- the last Good Buy Girls mystery, and fleshing out new characters or developing certain plot threads more fully would not stamp THE END on the story of Maggie and her friends.

This entire series has not only been about good mysteries and good fun, it's been a wonderful celebration of friendship. I've laughed, cried, and just plain felt good reading about the lives of these characters, and I will sincerely miss them. The Good Buy Girls mysteries form one of my favorite cozy mystery series, and I know I'm not alone in feeling that way. ( )
  cathyskye | Oct 15, 2015 |
The Good Buy Girls are back and better than ever. As with all the books in this series, ALL SALES FINAL would be a bargain at ten times the price. (But Maggie and friends would still suggest you look for the best deal.)

I have adored this series since the first book and I’m not embarrassed to say I consider the group of characters in these stories to be friends of mine. Book one in this series, 50% OFF MURDER, is one of the first cozy mysteries that I picked out and purchased for myself. Up until Book 1, I had been reading cozies loaned to me by my sister who introduced me to the world of cozy mysteries. Okay, back to the review.

Who knew wedding plans and buying a house would bring up old skeletons? Okay, one old skeleton. One that is discovered in the house that protagonist Maggie and her fiancé, Sam plan to make their new home.

As with all her books, having a true talent for storytelling, author Josie Belle filled ALL SALES FINAL to overflowing with mystery, fun, and wonderful relationships (and with this story some unearthly happenings) that continues all the way through this book until the amazing ending.

This book was wonderful through and through, though I’m afraid my review isn’t doing it justice. This was a hard one for me to write. You see, the entire time I was writing it, in the back of my mind I knew this would be the last review I wrote for a Good Buy Girls mystery. Author Josie Belle aka Jenn McKinlay has announced she won’t be writing any more books in this series. I can live in hope that one day she may change her mind, however from what she has announced through her social media pages, it doesn’t seem likely. Rather she does pen a new GBG mystery or not, I’d like to thank Ms. Belle for the hours and hours of joy she has given me through these books and the delightful characters. I’ll miss them. ( )
  LisaKsBookReviews | Aug 31, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425271374, Mass Market Paperback)

Maggie’s impending wedding finds her more concerned with a cold case than cold feet in the latest from the author of Marked Down for Murder . . .

There’s something 100% off about Maggie and her fiancé Sam’s new dream home in the historic section of St. Stanley. The lights flicker, the doors blow shut, and their cat, Marshall Dillon, hisses at empty space. And there’s something in the basement that’s definitely not a bargain . . .

After Maggie discovers a skeleton in the root cellar, she’s convinced her house is haunted by a murdered man’s ghost. With the help of her Good Buy Girls, Maggie works to tag a killer. But she’ll need to be careful as she digs into the history of her new digs. Someone is willing to keep the truth buried at all costs . . .

INCLUDES BARGAIN-HUNTING TIPS!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:26 -0400)

There's something 100% off about Maggie and her fianc Sam's new dream home in the historic section of St. Stanley. The lights flicker, the doors blow shut, and their cat, Marshall Dillon, hisses at empty space. And there's something in the basement that's definitely not a bargain.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,378,859 books! | Top bar: Always visible