Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee

Go Set a Watchman (2015)

by Harper Lee

4,4803201,093 (3.37)3 / 258
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (JuliaMaria, KayCliff)
    JuliaMaria: Harper Lee hat nur zwei Bücher veröffentlicht. Das zweite - "Gehe hin, stelle einen Wächter" - erst mit 90 Jahren - auch wenn es schon früher geschrieben wurde. Es war die literarische Sensation des Jahres 2015.
    KayCliff: Go Set a Watchman is the sequel to To Kill a Mocking Bird
    The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Another story of the south by an author with similar background.
    The Optimist's Daughter by Eudora Welty (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Moving and bittersweet, these Southern Gothic novels portray women pushed to their emotional limits as they return home and re-establish old relationships. Both are literary and character-driven, with a thoughtful style that also references mid-twentieth-century events and attitudes.… (more)
    Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor (amanda4242)
    The Keepers of the House by Shirley Ann Grau (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: Southern values shortly before the civil rights era
    Four Spirits by Sena Jeter Naslund (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Although Go Set a Watchman takes a more humorous approach than Four Spirits, both novels, set in the mid-twentieth-century South, spotlight the effects of the Civil Rights Movement on individuals. They are captivating, character-driven cameos representing society as a whole.… (more)
    Tongues of flame by Mary Ward Brown (andrewcorser)
    andrewcorser: Further insight into the Southern States

English (310)  Spanish (3)  Italian (2)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All (318)
I started off skeptical about this book, and some of the things in the middle were a bit of a drag to read, but hoop-boy did it have a punch. Scout's/Jean Louise's character development was lovely. Kinda wish I'd gotten to know Hank a mite better but that was well done as well.

I will need another read, and if I could rate it out of ten it wouldn't get a perfect score, but it is definitely a must-read. ( )
  m_mozeleski | May 13, 2018 |
What a wonderful opportunity to read more from Harper Lee! While this isn't up to par with To Kill a Mockingbird (ask any writer, an unedited draft never is), but it's amazing to see how the editor pulled Mockingbird from this first draft. Harper Lee clearly created such a detailed and complex world around her story to where any piece of it could be a rich and rewarding story. Ms Lee's turn of the english language and ways of simply conveying profound understandings is truly amazing. While the "take home" from this book is much different, it was fun to read a follow-up story and visit with Scout and Atticus again. Everyone should have a crazy Uncle Jack... ( )
  asawyer | May 7, 2018 |
Fans of the 1960 classic ,“To Kill a Mockingbird” may know her better as Scout, but now Jean Louise Finch is an adult. Discover how her town has changed over time—for better...and for worse.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Apr 16, 2018 |
They say you can’t go home, again. Twenty-six-year-old Jean Louise Finch, aka Scout, returns to Maycomb, Alabama for her yearly visit to Atticus, her father. Sadly, she finds that her hometown is changing. Even more disturbing, she finds that her family has changed a bit, too. Maybe she has misunderstood what her father stands for. Maybe she has grown up and is now seeing the illusions for what they are.

I loved Harper Lee’s extremely well-developed characters. It was really nice to encounter Atticus and Scout, again. Sadly, the plot seemed thin and almost put me to sleep a few times. I found it to be very preachy. Although it is far from the quality of her masterpiece, To Kill a Mockingbird, it is a good experience in its own right. ( )
  Sandralovesbooks | Apr 14, 2018 |
I have to start off by saying that I listened to this as an audiobook--read by Reese Witherspoon. I'm a big fan of Ms. Witherspoon, and I know she's a true Southerner, so I believe that really helped her set the tone of the book....

I loved this story! I've been a fan of "To Kill a Mockingbird" for ages. I was afraid to read "Watchman", after hearing some people say they were disappointed by this book. However, it was just as rich and true and heartwarming as the first, in my opinion!

Many people have told me they were disappointed in Atticus--it worried me, that perhaps he did something completely unethical, unthinkable, inhumane. And I suppose, to Scout's mind, he did... but it was nowhere near as bad as I'd feared! In the end, it's about Scout learning that Atticus is NOT a god, he is a man, and he is fallible, and he can make mistakes. I believe what he does in this story is possibly a mistake, possibly not, depending on how each reader looks at it. I appreciate that being left to interpretation!

I definitely recommend this book!!! ( )
  trayceetee | Apr 9, 2018 |
And so beneath Atticus’s style of enlightenment is a kind of bigotry that could not recognize itself as such at the time. The historical and human fallacies of the Agrarian ideology hardly need to be rehearsed now, but it should be said that these views were not regarded as ridiculous by intellectuals at the time. Indeed, Jean Louise/Lee herself, though passionately opposed to what her uncle and her father are saying, nevertheless accepts the general terms of the debate as the right ones.
added by danielx | editNew Yorker, Adam Gopnik (Jul 27, 2015)

Go Set a Watchman is a troubling confusion of a novel, politically and artistically, beginning with its fishy origin story. .. I ached for this adult Scout: The civil rights movement may be gathering force, but the second women's movement hasn't happened yet. I wanted to transport Scout to our own time — take her to a performance of Fun Home on Broadway — to know that, if she could only hang on, the possibilities for nonconforming tomboys will open up. Lee herself, writing in the 1950s, lacks the language and social imagination to fully develop this potentially powerful theme.
added by danielx | editNPR books, Maureen Corrigan (Jul 13, 2015)

Despite the boldness and bravery of its politics, Go Set a Watchman is a very rough diamond in literary terms … it is a book of enormous literary interest, and questionable literary merit.
added by Widsith | editThe Independent, Arifa Akbar (Jul 13, 2015)

It is, in most respects, a new work, and a pleasure, revelation and genuine literary event, akin to the discovery of extra sections from T S Eliot’s The Waste Land or a missing act from Hamlet hinting that the prince may have killed his father.
added by Widsith | editThe Guardian, Mark Lawson (Jul 12, 2015)

Watchman is both a painful complication of Harper Lee’s beloved book and a confirmation that a novel read widely by schoolchildren is far more bitter than sweet. Watchman is alienating from the very start.
added by Widsith | editTime, Daniel D'Addario (Jul 11, 2015)

Lee, Harperprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Drews, KristiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Johansson, EvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Witherspoon, ReeseReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of Mr. Lee and Alice
Since Atlanta, she had looked out the dining-car window with a delight almost physical.
"Every man's island, Jean Louise, every man's watchman, is his conscience." "There is no such thing as a collective conscious".
"Aunty," she said, cordially, "why don't you go pee in your hat?"
I need a watchman to lead me around and declare what he seeth every hour on the hour.  I need a watchman to tell me this is what a man says but this is what he means, to draw a line down the middle and say here is this justice and there is that justice and make me understand the difference. I need a watchman to go forth and proclaim to them all that twenty-six years is too long to play a joke on anybody, no matter how funny it is.
I was taught never to take advantage of anybody who was less fortunate than myself, whether he be less fortunate in brains, wealth, or social position; it meant anybody, not just Negroes. I was given to understand that the reverse was to be despised. That is the way I was raised, by a black woman and a white man.
I detest the sound of it as much as its matter

A draft of what was eventually substantially reworked into To Kill a Mockingbird, Go Set a Watchman is the story of Jean Louise Finch returning to her hometown of Maycomb, Alabama, as a young woman. Initially resting easily in the comforts and memories of home, Jean Louise discovers a shocking truth that forces her to reexamine everything she thought she knew about family.
Scout Finch returns home/Atticus is a racist/Scout sees him anew (waitingtoderail)

A wonderful new novel from one of America's bestselling authors. Exploring the tensions between a local culture and a changing national political agenda; family arguments and love: an instant classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:11 -0400)

Twenty years after the trial of Tom Robinson, Scout returns home to Maycomb to visit her father and struggles with personal and political issues as her small Alabama town adjusts to the turbulent events beginning to transform the United States in the mid-1950s.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,470,447 books! | Top bar: Always visible