Fish Is Fish by Leo Lionni

Fish Is Fish

by Leo Lionni

1,663824,325 (4)9

The book begins with the friendship of a minnow and a tadpole. Readers will see the tadpole grow into a frog and the minnow grow into a fish. It is a bittersweet moment when the tadpole turns into a frog and leaves the fish for the first time. When he finally returns, he tells fish about all of the new things he has seen such as birds, cows, and people. The fish is determined to be like frog and see all of these new things, so he gives it his all and hops right out of the water. When he realizes things are not as he expected and he cannot breathe he panics. Thankfully, the frog was on land and saved the fish by pushing him back into the water. After this incident, the fish is thankful for who he is and where he is from. I think this is a cute and enjoyable book. Once again, Lionni’s illustrations were creative and colorful. ( )
  cedoyle | Apr 25, 2016 |
Leo Lionni’s spirited story about a minnow and a tadpole is now available as a Step 3 Step into Reading book—perfect for children who are ready to read on their own!
  wichitafriendsschool | Mar 25, 2016 |
Leo Lionni is a fantastic author and my favorite book of his is Fish is Fish. I always enjoy reading this book for many reasons. First, his illustrations are beautiful; like they were done with water colors and crayons. His illustrations are also humorous. For example, When the frog is telling the fish about what he has seen on land such as cows, birds, and humans, the fish pictures everything but with fish characteristics. I also enjoy reading this book because of the message the author tells throughout the story. I believe the message to be "Be content with who you are. The grass isn't always greener on the other side." For example, in the story, the fish gets increasingly jealous of the frog when he ventures off the explore the real word. Towards the end, he flops himself out of the water only to realize he can't breathe on land. The frog rescues him and the fish exclaims that he was right and fish are just in fact fish. ( )
  Kelsey_Barrell | Feb 23, 2015 |
I liked this book for many reasons. I really liked the illustrations and the bright colors of the birds and animals that the fish imagined throughout the story. Another thing that I liked about this book was that the fish saw everything that the frog was describing was shown as a fish with all the other parts that were described. Another thing that I liked was the plot and the friendship between the frog and the fish throughout the book. I think that the big idea that I got from this book was that no matter where your friends go or how they change, they will always be your friend. ( )
  kelleemorcomb | Sep 17, 2014 |
This is a great book to illustrate perspective and experience, and how these 2 things can shape our view of the world. Fish imagines the cows and the people and other things that frog describes as fish versions, since this is all he knows.
  hugo.johnson | Jul 25, 2014 |

Is contained in

Two best friends, a minnow and a tadpole, are practically inseparable until the tadpole grows legs and decides to explore the world beyond the pond. When the tadpole, now a frog, returns to tell his friend of the extraordinary things he’s seen, the minnow, now a fish, tries to follow in his footsteps, but quickly finds that land is not what he expected. Friendship truly saves the day in this imaginative tale of a fish out of water.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:03 -0400)

When his friend the tadpole becomes a frog and leaves the pond to explore the world, the little fish decides that maybe he doesn't have to remain in the pond either.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,275 books! | Top bar: Always visible