Circling the Sun: A Novel by Paula McLain

Circling the Sun: A Novel (original 2015; edition 2015)

by Paula McLain

Member:Jaylia3
Title:Circling the Sun: A Novel
Authors:Paula McLain
Info:Ballantine Books (2015), Hardcover, 384 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Beryl Markham, historical fiction, Africa

Circling the Sun by Paula McLain (2015)

Recently added byMaryKvitek, NoPressureBookClub, SDunn, private library, mabith, rachelle-a-tron, SLVLIB, jsdraut
    Out of Africa by Isak Dinesen (Tanya-dogearedcopy)
    West with the Night by Beryl Markham (Tanya-dogearedcopy)
    Georgia: A Novel of Georgia O'Keeffe by Dawn Tripp (Limelite)
    Limelite: Georgia O'Keefe and Beryl Markham were two fiercely independent women determined to carve their own lives outside of acceptable societal norms. Two passionate women, capable of great love, sacrifice, and thirst for a full life. I think they would have admired and liked each other.… (more)
    A Spear of Summer Grass by Deanna Raybourn (carriehh)
    carriehh: Africa, 1920s

English (142)  Italian (1)  All (143)
Beryl Markham was quite an interesting woman. Very true to her own heart.
I thought the novel was good, but certain aspects of her life were really cut short. Marriages ended without us really knowing why, no real dirt on the scandals, etc.
The writing about the beauty of Africa was amazing. ( )
  JReynolds1959 | Jul 15, 2017 |
Loved The Paris Wife. But had to give up on this one. ( )
  dcmr | Jul 4, 2017 |
to hold this woman up as admirable as portayed in this book is difficult at best. i only hope the real person wasnt as shallow as i found this fictionalized version of her. this book was far too long and centered around a woman supposedly wanting to be independent and self made, while every decision she made jumped her from one mans bed to the next. ( )
  mfabriz | Jun 26, 2017 |
Years ago I read "West with the Night" by Berl Markham and enjoyed it so much. The lives of European expatriates in that era is a fascinating time in social and cultural history in Africa. And of course the book and subsequent movie "Out of Africa" were a part of this culture. Again, author Paula McLain has a keen insight into the motivations and actions of the real people in this time frame and puts them into a flowing and natural story line. ( )
  readyreader | Jun 23, 2017 |
Read this book in one day! Loved it. Very interesting woman of her time! ( )
  LauGal | Jun 17, 2017 |

Klynstra, LauraCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McEwan, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simeonova, IlinaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Suursalu, KarinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Vega Gull is peacock blue with silver wings, more splendid than any bird I've known, and somehow mine to fly.
Before Kenya was Kenya, when it was millions of years old and yet still somehow new, the name belonged only to our most magnificent mountain.
Her absence was still so loud and so heavy, I ached with it, feeling hollow and lost.  I didn't know how to forget my mother any more than my father knew how he might comfort me.  He pulled me—long limbed and a little dirty, as I always seemed to be—onto his lap, and we sat like that quietly for a while.
I grew as tall as Kibii and then taller, running just as swiftly through the tall gold grasses, our feet floured with dust.
This was certain: I belonged on the farm and in the bush.  I was part of the thorn trees and the high jutting escarpment, the bruised-looking hills thick with vegetation; the deep folds between the hills, and the high cornlike grasses.  I had come alive here, as if I'd been given a second birth, and a truer one.  This was my home, and though one it would all trickle through my fingers like so much red dust, for as long as childhood lasted it was a heaven fitted exactly to me.  A place I knew by heart.  The place in the world I'd been made for.
Chpt 62:  Karen buried Denys on the farm, as she knew he wanted it, at the crest of Lamwia, along the Ngong ridge. ... No one could challenge their bond, or doubt how she had loved him.  Or how truly he had been hers.  One day she was going to write about him -- write "him" in such a way that would seal the two of them together for ever.  And from those pages, I would be absent.

Girl loves Africa -
Raises horses; learns to fly -
Soars across ocean
(Time2Read2)

Paula McLain, author of the phenomenal bestseller The Paris Wife, now returns with her keenly anticipated new novel, transporting readers to colonial Kenya in the 1920s. Circling the Sun brings to life a fearless and captivating woman—Beryl Markham, a record-setting aviator caught up in a passionate love triangle with safari hunter Denys Finch Hatton and Karen Blixen, author of the classic memoir Out of Africa.

Brought to Kenya from England as a child and then abandoned by her mother, Beryl is raised by both her father and the native Kipsigis tribe who share his estate. Her unconventional upbringing transforms Beryl into a bold young woman with a fierce love of all things wild and an inherent understanding of nature’s delicate balance. But even the wild child must grow up, and when everything Beryl knows and trusts dissolves, she is catapulted into a string of disastrous relationships.

Beryl forges her own path as a horse trainer, and her uncommon style attracts the eye of the Happy Valley set, a decadent, bohemian community of European expats who live and love by their own set of rules. But it’s the ruggedly charismatic Denys Finch Hatton who ultimately helps Beryl navigate the uncharted territory of her own heart. The intensity of their love reveals Beryl’s truest self and her fate: to fly.

Set against the majestic landscape of early-twentieth-century Africa, McLain’s powerful tale reveals the extraordinary adventures of a woman before her time, the exhilaration of freedom and its cost, and the tenacity of the human spirit.

Praise for Paula McLain and The Paris Wife

“McLain has brought Hadley [Hemingway] to life in a novel that begins in a rush of early love. . . . A moving portrait of a woman slighted by history, a woman whose . . . story needed to be told.”The Boston Globe

The Paris Wife creates the kind of out-of-body reading experience that dedicated book lovers yearn for, nearly as good as reading Hemingway for the first time—and it doesn’t get much better than that.”—Minneapolis Star Tribune

“Exquisitely evocative . . . This absorbing, illuminating book gives us an intimate view of a sympathetic and perceptive woman, the striving writer she married, the glittering and wounding Paris circle they were part of. . . . McLain reinvents the story of Hadley and Ernest’s romance with the lucid grace of a practiced poet.”The Seattle Times

“A novel that’s impossible to resist . . . It’s all here, and it all feels real.”People

“Powerful and devastating . . . McLain pulls off a delicate balancing act, making the macho Hemingway of myth a complex and sympathetic figure.”USA Today

“A sweet love story with surprising emotional impact.”Chicago Sun-Times

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:43 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Paula McLain's book Circling the Sun was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,064,579 books! | Top bar: Always visible