Who Was Frederick Douglass? by April Jones…

Who Was Frederick Douglass?

by April Jones Prince

Other authors: Robert Squier (Illustrator)

Series: Who Was ...? • Publication Order (85)

This book will serve as the place keeper for

Who Was: Heroes of Black History: Frederick Douglass; Harriet Beecher Stowe; Underground Railroad; Jackie Robinson; Rosa Parks; Nelson Mandela

Thoughts: With the climate of the United States right now and the emotional toll it's taken on me I've decided that it is not the right time for me to listen to this. What I've heard so far (Frederick Douglass, Nelson Mandela and part of Rosa Parks) has been well written and communicated on a level I think anyone can understand.
  bookjunkie57 | Jul 22, 2016 |
This book is about a slave named Frederick Douglass. When he was younger, he was beaten by his first master but set free by his second master. After he was set free, he started doing work like shining shoes and traded bread to white kids who taught him to read and write. When he got older he gave speeches about slavery in New York, which white men were not happy about (they threw bricks and rotten eggs at him). He moved to England where he published the North Star a newspaper working to end slavery.

I like this book because it is interesting how one person can work to change the United States. It is intriguing the life that Fredrick Douglass had because he started as a slave and became free. I recommend this book to anyone who likes history. ( )
  IanF8 | Nov 2, 2015 |

April Jones Princeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Squier, RobertIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Born into slavery in Maryland in 1818, Frederick Douglass was determined to gain freedom--and once he realized that knowledge was power, he secretly learned to read and write to give himself an advantage. After escaping to the North in 1838, as a free man he gave powerful speeches about his experience as a slave. He was so impressive that he became a friend of President Abraham Lincoln, as well as one of the most famous abolitionists of the nineteenth century.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:28 -0400)

Presents the life of the man who escaped slavery in Maryland to become a speaker and writer for abolition and the rights of African Americans and women, focusing on his childhood and youth as a slave.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,557,500 books! | Top bar: Always visible