The Problem with Murmur Lee by Connie May…

The Problem with Murmur Lee

by Connie May Fowler

Read this back in 2006, I just remembered it because of the quirky characters that lived in this town. Although fictional, I would like to live there for a while and meet them! ( )
  FAR2MANYBOOKS | Apr 5, 2014 |
  FAR2MANYBOOKS | Apr 5, 2014 |
This is a strange story about a young woman who dies and the friends she leaves behind. Murmer Lee is a “free spirit”. She is very likeable, as is apparent by the close circle of people she leaves behind to deal with her death. The story is told in short chapters, each written from the viewpoint of one of her friends, and from Murmer herself. As the story is told Murmer views episodes from her life and learns a lot about her family and her life. I liked the way the story was laid out and the quirkiness of the characters. The one thing that left me cold, and the reason I gave the book only three stars, was the foul language and the repetitive theme of sex. Sex and language can have a place in a story, but this was totally overdone and did not do anything to enhance the plot. ( )
  little-sparrow | Nov 4, 2010 |
I love quirky fiction and I found this one rather intriguing. This books touches on friendship, family with and murder mystery thrown in. A great original novel, it kept me entertained until the end. This would make an interesting talk at a book club. ( )
  bnbookgirl | Apr 21, 2010 |
Quick read, the characters seem as though the could develop into lasting, memorable ones, but somehow they feel abridged. ( )
  Cailin | Nov 8, 2009 |
There is never a single approach to something remembered. -John Berger
For Silas
Dear Charlee, Here is the swan feather I promised.

The bestselling author of Before Women Had Wings spins a wild new tale about the strong bonds among a group of friends that loses its quirkiest member, Murmur Lee. Exploring new literary territory while keeping to her native Floridian roots, Fowler is here at her most original and entertaining.

As a new year dawns over the island of Iris Haven, Murmur Lee Harp and her lover, Billy, go for a romantic sail without a care in the world. The evening comes to an abrupt halt when Murmur Lee discovers that she has drowned—but by whose hand?—in the Iris Haven river.
Grief-stricken and haunted by the mysteries surrounding her death, Murmur Lee’s circle of friends sets out to discover what really happened to her, and in the process they learn as much about her failings and triumphs as their own. After years of self-exile in the North, Charlee Mudd returns to set her best friend’s affairs in order, only to confront her own ghosts. Edith Piaf, a former marine whose sex change at the age of sixty-two Murmur Lee supported unquestioningly, must find the confidence to carry on without the encouragement of her friend. Lonely widower Dr. Zachary Klein plummets into the depths of depression at the loss of the second woman he has ever loved. As for Murmur Lee—who lived her entire life on an island named by her great-great grandfather in honor of the Greek goddess who receives the souls of dying women—in death she experiences her own journey as she is plunged into her familial past and discovers the truth about who she really is.

With poignancy and humor Fowler weaves the voices of Murmur and her friends into a compelling narrative. Part family saga, part murder mystery, The Problem with Murmur Lee is Fowler’s most rewarding and engrossing work yet.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:10 -0400)

It is about all the things that matter; life, death, love, forgiveness, and the journey toward truth.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,356,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible