Ruin by John Gwynne
1196151,052 (4.39)None

Mr. John Gwynne, how dare you break my heart?

I am not going to talk about the plot or the characters because I don't want to spoil anyone who has not yet started this series.

I recommend The Faithful and the Fallen to everyone who likes a good prophecy, a god-war, angels and fallen angels, and of course an epic conflict.

However, I'm not as in love with this series as others. I found that all books thus far suffer from a slow start, a dull middle and only pick up the pace in the last hundred or so pages. The characters are well developed, but the female ones feel as if they're just there so the book isn't nothing but spitting, manly, hunky men.

The plot took an unexpected turn in this book, so I'm curious to see how it all ends. Bring on Wrath! ( )
  Vinjii | Mar 21, 2018 |
Oh my god! NOOOOOOO!!!! F@#^$%@@#$!!!! ((falls to knees in tears)) T___T

So, this book was absolutely fantastic. So much heart-pounding action that had me actually terrified, angry, and happy. The story-telling/writing was absolutely amazing. Everything flowed really well and kept me hooked right from the get go. There were no slow moments AT ALL. Every scene had its purpose and added another piece to the over all tale. If I had to pick one thing that I didn't like, it would have to be that it is still hard to tell how much time has passed, though that was such an incredibly minor thing.

The characters continue to inspire such a wide range of emotions in this story. There are some, like the Jotun giants and Jael and Lykos (among others) that just made me so incredibly angry that I found myself gritting my teeth. Others, like Camlin and Corban and Maquin that made me fear for them and root for them in their fights. There is just an overwhelming amount to say about the individual characters that I could write a thesis on them.

Speaking of emotions, holy heart break, Batman! The battle between Asroth and Elyon and their respective sides is rapidly approaching the pinnacle of the whole thing. There was just so much back-stabbing betrayal and heart-breaking deaths this time around that the only thing keeping me from literally crying is the fact that I was at work while reading most of it. While all of the Elyon-side deaths hurt me, the one that hurt the most is the one that happened at the very very end. Reading the very last two sentences broke my heart the most.

All that being said, this right here is what a high fantasy book should be. It has literally everything that makes a good book. If you are looking for action, adventure, romance, friendship, betrayal, loss, and love, this series right here is for you. ( )
  Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |
Oh my god! NOOOOOOO!!!! F@#^$%@@#$!!!! ((falls to knees in tears)) T___T

Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |
And now I have to wait for the next book again. LOL

As usual, excellent story. Parts kept me on the edge of my seat. I cried, I laughed, I felt fearful. Fantastically done. Can't wait for the next book. ( )
  jimpike69 | Nov 16, 2016 |
Read the review @ Book Frivolity ( )
  BookFrivolity | Apr 23, 2016 |

The Banished Lands are engulfed in war and chaos.

The cunning Queen Rhin has conquered the west and High King Nathair has the cauldron, most powerful of the seven treasures. At his back stands the scheming Calidus and a warband of the Kadoshim, dread demons of the Otherworld. They plan to bring Asroth and his host of the Fallen into the world of flesh, but to do so they need the seven treasures. Nathair has been deceived but now he knows the truth. He has choices to make, choices that will determine the fate of the Banished Lands.

Elsewhere the flame of resistance is growing - Queen Edana finds allies in the swamps of Ardan. Maquin is loose in Tenebral, hunted by Lykos and his corsairs. Here he will witness the birth of a rebellion in Nathair's own realm.

Corban has been swept along by the tide of war. He has suffered, lost loved ones, sought only safety from the darkness. But he will run no more. He has seen the face of evil and he has set his will to fight it. The question is, how?

With a disparate band gathered about him - his family, friends, giants, fanatical warriors, an angel and a talking crow he begins the journey to Drassil, the fabled fortress hidden deep in the heart of Forn Forest. For in Drassil lies the spear of Skald, one of the seven treasures, and here it is prophesied that the Bright Star will stand against the Black Sun.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 02 Jul 2015 04:51:32 -0400)

War has erupted in the Banished Lands as the race for power intensifies. Corban flees his homeland searching for peace, but he soon discovers that there is no haven in the west as the agents of Rhin and roaming bands of giants hound his every step. Veradis leaves the battleground and rushes to his King's side. But he has witnessed both combat and betrayal and his duty weighs heavily upon him. Maquin seeks only revenge, but pirate slavers and the brutal world of pit-fighting stand in his way. Nathair becomes embroiled in the wars of the west as Queen Rhin marches against King Owain. The need to find the cauldron of the giants drives him on. Sides are chosen and oaths will be fulfilled or broken in a land where hell has broken loose.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,799,414 books! | Top bar: Always visible