The Worst Journey in the World (Penguin…

The Worst Journey in the World (Penguin Classics) (original 1922; edition 2006)

by Apsley Cherry-Garrard

Member:unwashedcat
Title:The Worst Journey in the World (Penguin Classics)
Authors:Apsley Cherry-Garrard
Info:Penguin Classics (2006), Paperback, 688 pages
Tags:from amazon

The Worst Journey in the World by Apsley Cherry-Garrard (1922)

Expeditionen : min kärlekshistoria by Bea Uusma (Anonymous user)
    Island of the Lost: Shipwrecked at the Edge of the World by Joan Druett (rebeccanyc)
    rebeccanyc: Both of these books testify to the ability of people in hazardous and terrifying physical conditions to use both hard work and their mental and emotional strength to survive.
    The Coldest March: Scott's Fatal Antarctic Expedition by Susan Solomon (rebeccanyc)
    rebeccanyc: Solomon includes excerpts from the diaries of the men, as does Cherry-Garrard, but brings modern scientific data to explain some of the unusually extreme weather conditions faced on Scott's polar journey.
    The Birthday Boys by Beryl Bainbridge (rebeccanyc)
    rebeccanyc: Bainbridge weaves fiction out of Cherry-Garrard's narrative, focusing on each of the five men in the fatal Polar Journey.
    The Ice Master: The Doomed 1913 Voyage of the Karluk by Jennifer Niven (John_Vaughan)

English (36)  Spanish (1)  All languages (37)
Amazing, first-hand account of R. F. Scott's 1910-1013 journey to the South Pole. ( )
  Pferdina | Dec 23, 2018 |
Parts of this book are amazing, especially the "worst journey in the world," a mid-winter trip to collect eggs from an emperor penguin colony, all suffering in the name of science. (The followup story when Cherry-Garrard gave the rotten eggs to a London museum is hilarious.) There are also amazing encounters with orcas. Other parts are tedious; there are too many extended quotes from other people's journals, for example. It is not the best polar exploration book. At his worst, the author can be deluded and self-important. But in the best parts the tale is impressive and occasionally inspirational.

"If you march your Winter Journeys you will have your reward, so long as all you want is a penguin’s egg." ( )
  breic | Nov 3, 2018 |
I grew up listening to heroic stories of Captain Scott and his brave men. This book covers the whole amazing expedition from start to finish and is a remarkable story of bravery and fortitude. Scott may not have been the first to reach the South Pole but his story in this book will live with me for ever. ( )
  jimrbrown | Aug 26, 2018 |
The “worst journey” began in July, 1911, in Antarctica. It was a different world then. So few people seem to be named Apsley anymore. Pity.

Apsley Cherry-Garrard’s experiences in Antarctica, recounted in The Worst Journey in the World, provide us with a keen sense of the difficulties faced when attempting the undone. The difficulties had costs, as Cherry’s confidence later in life came to lack enough of the kind of self-regard that protects one against the sabotages of self-doubt. He writes, “when I was a subaltern of 24, not incapable of judging my elders, but too young to have found out whether my judgment was worth anything…” That thought is admirably put but to think it is perhaps a handicap, for even a fool has some judgment worth something. The fallout for Cherry meant lifelong self-questioning on whether he could have made other choices, choices he’d speculate might have saved Robert Scott, Birdie Wilson, and Bill Bowers on their return from the South Pole.

The book is rich with excerpts from expedition members’ journals. These entries are valuable for how they document many details of the venture, give authentic voice to the men’s experiences, and are the crucial source for telling the story of the South Pole trip. Even so, I grew to feel a little impatient with them because in general the narrative is set at a slow pace anyway. Another drawback, in the edition I read, is the absence of maps showing all (or at least most) places mentioned. Without them, the reader not acquainted with Antarctica could as beneficially be told, with little sacrifice in precision, that one man went hither, another yonder, and a third to a place over there.

Nevertheless, there is much here I am glad to have read, especially the heartfelt account of Scott’s last journey, and of course the harrowing titular journey that Wilson, Bowers, and Cherry made in winter to acquire penguin embryos (of all things). The Worst Journey treats us to wonderful observations of the beauty and severity of the physical environment and of the animals the men saw. Robert Scott, after watching how killer whales break an ice floe in their attempt to prey on men and dogs, was moved to say, “It is clear they are endowed with singular intelligence, and in the future we shall treat that intelligence with every respect.” It may be impossible not to feel similarly about the men Cherry describes and about the author himself who captured their work and the tragedy. ( )
  dypaloh | Oct 4, 2017 |
I honestly do not know how to review this amazing piece of work and heartbreaking volume. I tend to wear what I read on my sleeve; particularly history. But this story, this story can be described in so many words, many of which are heart breaking. But the words heroes, and bravery smashes that into the dirt. This story has caused me to treat every step, every breath, every word, every sunrise, sunset and my whole life in general as a step in their shoes. When you are done with this you will be sad, heartbroken but most of all you will have respect for these brave men. If you don't then.....you are truly a soulless carbon based unit. Did Scott bungle things up...?? Most definitely. Did he do his best....I feel without a doubt. There is one part in this book among other fairly lesser ones that points out the chink in the armor of his plans. Feeding the ponies to the dogs instead of placing them in a depot. (which they were and it served the return crew not his own) His men were loyal to a fault. As I read this I researched every aspect of everything discussed, the geography, the weather, EVERYTHING. Walking away from it I feel a deep connection with them, particularly Birdie Bowers. What an amazing individual. For him and Wilson to go through the bull with the eggs then to turn around and go South to their doom. Bravery does not begin to describe them. I am in awe. Falling into crevices, killer whales in formation, hurricane force winds, crawling across the ice, boiling penguin fat popping in Wilson's eye, Cherry's teeth falling out. JEEZ. ( )
1 vote Joe73 | Jun 15, 2017 |

Apsley Cherry-Garrardprimary authorall editionscalculated
Alexander, CarolineIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seaver, GeorgeForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spufford, FrancisIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whitfield, RobertNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Polar exploration is at once the cleanest and most isolated way of having a bad time which has been devised. (Introduction)
This post-war business is inartistic, for it is seldom that any one does anything well for the sake of doing it well; and it is un-Christian, if you value Christianity, for men are out to hurt and not to help—can you wonder, when the Ten Commandments were hurled straight from the pulpit through good stained glass. (Preface)
Everything else is vague. Hour after hour he staggered about: he got his hand badly frost-bitten: he found pressure: he fell over it: he was crawling in it, on his hands and knees. Stumbling, tumbling, tripping, buffeted by the endless lash of the wind, sprawling through miles of punishing snow, he still seems to have kept his brain working. He found an island, thought it was Inaccessible, spent ages in coasting along it, lost it, found more pressure, and crawled along it. He found another island, and the same horrible, almost senseless, search went on. Under the lee of some rocks he waited for a time. His clothing was thin though he had his wind-clothes, and, a horrible thought if this was to go on, he had boots on his feet instead of warm finnesko. Here also he kicked out a hole in a drift where he might have more chance if he were forced to lie down. For sleep is the end of men who get lost in blizzards. Though he did not know it he must now have been out more than four hours.
Exploration is the physical expression of the intellectual passion. And I tell you, if you have the desire for knowledge and the power to give it physical expression, go out and explore.
Just enough to eat and keep us warm, no more - no frills nor trimmings; there is many a worse and more elaborate life. The necessaries of civilization were luxuries to us;... the luxuries of civilization satisfy only those wants which they themselves create.

The Worst Journey in the World recounts Robert Falcon Scott’s ill-fated expedition to the South Pole. Apsley Cherry-Garrard—the youngest member of Scott’s team and one of three men to make and survive the notorious Winter Journey—draws on his firsthand experiences as well as the diaries of his compatriots to create a stirring and detailed account of Scott’s legendary expedition. Cherry himself would be among the search party that discovered the corpses of Scott and his men, who had long since perished from starvation and brutal cold. It is through Cherry’s insightful narrative and keen descriptions that Scott and the other members of the expedition are fully memorialized.

First time in Penguin Classics

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:15 -0400)

"Cherry-Garrard, who accompanied Robert Falcon Scott to the Antarctic on the explorer's doomed quest for the South Pole, recounts the unforgettable journey across forbidding, inhospitable terrain. He was also a member of the search party that ultimately discovered Scott's frozen body along with his last notebook entries." "With an introduction by the author, this tale of adventure stands out as a literary accomplishment as well as a classic of exploration."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Skyhorse Publishing

2 editions of this book were published by Skyhorse Publishing.

Editions: 1620874083, 1510707565

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,243,392 books! | Top bar: Always visible