Into a Dark Realm (The Darkwar Saga, Book 2)…
Chaos threatens to overwhelm two worlds as the most dangerous force ever encountered threatens to invade Midkemia, while the most treacherous magician in history - the madman Leso Varen - begins to wreak havoc on the world of Kelewan. Pug and the Conclave of Shadows are determined to find Varen, only to discover that he has usurped the body of one of the most powerful men in the Empire of Tsuranuani - a Black Robe and member of the Assembly of Magicians. Pug has the almost impossible task of uncovering the true identity of the fiendish magician in an entire city full of Black Robes. Murder, mayhem, horror, and the darkest evil await Pug's son, Magnus, and his companions as they attempt to discover the ultimate source of the terrible threat that hovers over Midkemia and Kelewan. Leading a desperate expedition into the realm of the Dasati, the vast and malevolent empire which is threatening his homeworld, Magnus hopes to find the key to defeating this enemy who is capable of overwhelming the combined might of two worlds. But even if he does, the companions will have a desperate struggle to return home with their vital information. Three worlds will teeter on the brink of destruction as the third Riftwar: the Darkwar, is unleashed.… (more)
Member:Falcon124
Title:Into a Dark Realm (The Darkwar Saga, Book 2)
Authors:Raymond E. Feist
Info:Eos (2008), Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Rating:*****

Into a Dark Realm by Raymond E. Feist

English (15)  Dutch (1)  All languages (16)
Into a Dark Realm is the second book in the Darkwar Saga, the third-from-the-last subseries in the very long Riftwar Cycle.

This was much improved over the previous book. In that one, I got bogged down with what felt like an excessive amount of recaps and also a bit of tediousness from an overly-familiar storyline. The story in this book was far more interesting. There were several storylines going on with frequent POV changes, and I enjoyed most of them. There was one POV (Tad, Zane, Jommy, etc.) that seemed a bit superfluous, but I enjoyed it, so I didn’t mind. I especially enjoyed the storyline with Valko on one of the Dasati worlds. It was fun to read about a culture and character that was quite a bit different from Feist’s usual style. Even the parts focusing on the magicians, which usually seem to be the least interesting parts to me in each book, were quite interesting at times.

This book leaves a lot of things left hanging, so I look forward to seeing what happens in the next one. I have mixed feelings about Macros being back, but I’m curious to see what he brings to the table. I mostly just have some reservations about the holes in his memory which make it a bit too convenient for him to know the things he needs to know to move the story along and not know the things that would help move the story along too quickly. ( )
1 vote YouKneeK | Feb 18, 2020 |
Dit deel van de serie gaf veel antwoorden en informatie!

De Tweede Cirkel is fascinerend en hoewel over het algemeen nogal gruwelijk, zorgen de nieuwe personages voor een interessante verandering. Genoeg oude personages om balans te behouden.

Sommige lijnen in het verhaal waren voorspelbaar, maar werkten soms verwarrend doordat er vrij vaak gesprongen werd naar een andere verhaallijn. Liever had ik gezien dat de lijn van de jongens, Tad, Zane, Jommy (en later Geoffrey, Servan en Grandy) apart was gehouden van dit boek. Toch neemt het algehele gevoel van opbouw toe en de absolute cliffhanger van een einde maakt het bijna onmogelijk om te stoppen met lezen.

Het was grappig om over de Dashati en hun wereld te lezen, hoe gruwelijk ze soms ook waren. Het boek was wel wat duister, vergeleken met de andere verhalen van Feist. Sommige personages uit de vorige boeken komen in ongebruikelijke situaties terecht.

Boek lijkt een goede opbouw naar [b:De toorn van een waanzinnige God|17971682|De toorn van een waanzinnige God|Raymond E. Feist|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1369299037s/17971682.jpg|1184368] te zijn. ( )
  EdwinKort | Oct 18, 2019 |
Gets a bit strange in places but fantasy has to when your main characters are competing with gods. ( )
  brakketh | Dec 29, 2017 |
The talnoy outside the safety of the hidden caves on Novindus has been transferred to the City of Magicians on Kelewan in a vain hope that it's attraction to the lower order rifts can be confused, but the confusion was only of limited duration and with the death of a member of the Assembly, the Assembly would be happy to see it gone. Caleb's adopted children have been sponsored to a training academy in Roldem where their idiosyncratic ways make waves in the staid halls of academe and privilege where they get into all sorts of scrapes, it all becoming a bit more serious when they are sent off on a military mission. We then get our first look at the Dasati, the owners of those talnoy which was interesting and we begin the big ramp up to the mass confrontation that will happen in the next book. ( )
  JohnFair | Dec 13, 2017 |
Finding the souls of 10,000 lost Dasati Gods and other happenings. ( )
  BooksForDinner | Feb 3, 2016 |
Voor Janny, Bill, Joel en Steve
vanwege het delen van hun talent
A woman screamed in outrage.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,388,503 books! | Top bar: Always visible