The Strangler by William Landay

The Strangler

by William Landay

Mystic River by Dennis Lehane (KingRat)
    KingRat: Mystic River and The Strangler share common themes of close people growing up to eventually be on opposite sides of the law, with all sorts of mixed loyalties on all sides. Both are set in Boston and have the same hard-boiled feel to them.

The investigation of the case of the "Boston Strangler" forms the backdrop for this story of three sons of a celebrated Boston police officer, killed in the course of duty. One son is an ADA, another a police officer and the third a burglar. Loved this book and am an absolute fan of William Landay. Well written, well paced, good character developed and enough twists and turns so that you never want to put it down. ( )
  CarterPJ | Mar 9, 2012 |
I have to start off by saying that I was a little disappointed in this novel. William Landay's first novel was so suspenseful and I couldn't put it down, so I figured this one would be as suspenseful as that one. This novel follows the lives of three brothers, Joe, Michael, and Ricky Daley. Their father, a Boston police officer, was recently murdered on the job. All three brothers jobs revolve around the law; Joe, a police officer, Michael, a lawyer working for the attorney general, and Ricky, a burglar. The plot also follows the Boston Police Department's investigation of the Boston Strangler.

It was hard for me to really get into this novel. All throughout the novel I felt like there were two plots that just barely fit together, the investigation of the Boston Strangler, and the lives of the Daley brothers. Yes the Daley brothers are somewhat involved in the investigation into the Boston Strangler but I felt like the plot involving their lives and how their lives become involved into the cities gang and their investigation of their father's murder was the much more interesting part of the plot. The ending was the most suspenseful part of the book and the part that held my attention the most. Overall I just felt like I knew what was going to happen throughout most of the novel, and I would have rather the novel concentrate more on the gang then on the strangler. ( )
  dpappas | Dec 20, 2011 |
Hmn ( )
  brone | Apr 6, 2011 |
The Strangler of the book's title refers to the Boston Strangler. The book is set in 1963 Boston following the Kennedy assassination and the Boston Strangler killings. Three brothers, Joe, Michael and Ricky Daley, are the central characters. Joe, the oldest is a cop and married man with one son. Micahel, the middle son is a lawyer. Ricky is the youngest son and is a professional thief. A year before the book opens, the boys' father, Joe Senior also a cop, was killed in the line of duty.

For more the review, read my blog: http://thejoieofreading.typepad.com/joannalongbourneblog/2010/01/index.html ( )
  joannalongbourne | Feb 27, 2011 |
In his second crime novel, William Landay weaves together the story of three brothers, the death of their policeman father, Boston’s urban renewal projects, and the Boston Strangler. It’s Boston in 1963. Kennedy has just been assassinated. Real estate developers are bulldozing Boston’s West End to put up shiny new towers. A mob war is being waged. The Boston Strangler is terrifying the city.

I thought it was great book. You see see the flow of violence and changes to the city of Boston through the eyes of the three brothers: Ricky, the burglar; Michael, the lawyer; and Joe, the cop. The story gets complicated as all you jump around through the eyes of the brothers and the backdrop of criminal activity.

The crime is not just in the background. Joe, the cop, is a bad gambler who gets behind on his debts and starts working for the bad guys. In the first chapter, Ricky steals some jewelry from a hotel room at the Copley Plaza Hotel.

The Boston underworld in the book is a brutal place. It may be too violent for some readers. Just as violent is the destruction of the physical city as 46 acres of homes and small businesses in the West End are bulldozed to make way for a handful of residential high rises.

I need to let you know that Bill (yeah, I know him as Bill) is a friend. Our sons went to the same preschool. We have been to each others’ homes and countless kids’ birthday parties. ( )
  dougcornelius | Apr 29, 2010 |
For Henry and Ted, brothers
In the subway: twenty swaying grief-stunned faces.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440237378, Mass Market Paperback)

From the New York Times bestselling author of Defending Jacob

Boston, 1963. A city on edge. On street corners, newsboys hawk the shocking headline: KENNEDY IS DEAD. In the city’s underworld, a mob war rages. But what terrifies Bostonians most is the mysterious killer who has already claimed a dozen victims, a murderer whose name is indelibly linked to their city: the Boston Strangler. This is the electrifying backdrop of William Landay’s magnificent new novel, a story of one Irish-American family, a city under siege, and the long shadow cast by the most infamous killer of his day . . .

For the three Daley brothers, sons of a Boston cop, crime is the family business. They are simply on different sides of it. Joe is the eldest, a tough-talking cop whose gambling habits—fast women, slow horses—drag him down into the city’s gangland. Michael is the middle son; a Harvard-educated lawyer working for an ambitious attorney general, he finds himself assigned to the embattled Strangler task force. And Ricky, the devil-may-care youngest son, floats above the fray as an expert burglar—until the Strangler strikes too close to home.

As Joe’s mob debts close in around him . . . and Michael becomes snarled in a murder investigation gone very wrong . . . and Ricky is hunted by both sides of the law, the three brothers—and the women who love them—are forced to take sides. Now each must look deeper into a killer’s murderous rage, into their family’s own lethal secrets, and into the one death that has changed them forever. As William Landay’s complex, compassionate, and terrifying novel builds to a climax, two mysteries will collide—and a shattering truth will be revealed.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:35 -0400)

Bostonians are fearing the mysterious killer who has already claimed a dozen victims, a murderer whose name is indelibly linked to their city: the Boston Strangler.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,392,964 books! | Top bar: Always visible