Dance of the Bones by J. A. Jance
2151976,830 (3.44)10

[Dance of the Bones] by J.A. Jance
J.P. Beaumont series Book #22 (not really)
2.5 stars

From The Book:
Years ago, Amos Warren, a prospector, was gunned down out in the desert and Sheriff Brandon Walker made the arrest in the case. Now, the retired Walker is called in when the alleged killer, John Lassiter, refuses to accept a plea deal that would release him from prison with time served. Lassiter wants Brandon and The Last Chance to find Amos's "real" killer and clear his name.

My Thoughts:
The J.P. Beaumont series was and remains one of my favorite series of all times...so when I saw this "new" series with a new set of characters was coming aboard but J.P was still a part of it...I said "why not?". Turns out there was several reasons "why not".

1. The book was half way over before J.P Beaumont even made an appearance. I gave the book 2.5 stars because it was only AFTER he made his appearance that the story even seemed that it had been written by the same author.

2. The new characters are all just flat. Brandon Walker could evolve into a good character if he just had an original thought in his head and would stop listening to the dopey woman.

3. The story skipped back and forth over several decades and when you threw in the Indian lore that pops up suddenly out of left field it was nearly impossible to keep the story line in any perspective.

Needless to say there won't be a book 2 for this reader. ( )
  Carol420 | Mar 1, 2017 |
Pass. Series.
  kalyhi | Oct 10, 2016 |
As a rule I love J.A. Jance's books, but Dance of the Bones is not one of her best-- and J.P. Beaumont fans will be disappointed, since he plays a crucial (but very small) role.

Jance's Walker family series set in the Tucson, Arizona area have always used many legends of the Tohono O'odham people. Normally I enjoy reading them, but in this case they kept dragging me out of the story-- even if they did pertain to two of my favorite characters, Gabe Ortiz and Lani Walker-Pardee. Speaking of characters, the bad guy needed to be more hands-on. Always having minions doing the dirty work sapped the killer's evil mojo. Instead of fear or anxiety, I felt irritation.

With so many interconnected loops of plot, reading Dance of the Bones was like stepping in the middle of a nest of rattlesnakes. Lots of distraction, occasional confusion, and a feeling that the story didn't live up to the often beautiful way Jance uses the English language. ( )
  cathyskye | Sep 21, 2016 |
From Book Cover:

Years ago, Amos Warren, a prospector, was gunned down out in the desert and Sheriff Brandon Walker made the arrest in the case. Now, the retired Walker is called in when the alleged killer, John Lassiter, refuses to accept a plea deal that would release him from prison with time served. Lassiter wants Brandon and The Last Chance to find Amos’s “real” killer and clear his name. Sixteen hundred miles to the north in Seattle, J.P. Beaumont is at loose ends after the Special Homicide Investigation Team, affectionately known as S.H.I.T., has been unexpectedly and completely disbanded. When Brandon discovers that there are links between Lassiter’s case and an unsolved case in Seattle, he comes to Beau for help. Those two cases suddenly become hot when two young boys from the reservation, one of them with close ties to the Walker family, go missing. Can two seasoned cops, working together, decipher the missing pieces in time to keep them alive?

My Thoughts:

I have read books from all three of J.A. Jance's series with Beaumont being my all time favorite character. I had thought with the conclusion of the last Beaumont book that it read like she was ending this series...so when this one came along I early awaited it. However...I found that this book though marketed as a Beaumont novel and listing it as the 22nd in that series... it is a tad misleading since Beaumont makes little more than a cameo appearance. This is definitely Brandon Walker's show. The story doesn't flow smoothly at all. It is jagged and disjointed all the way up to the midway mark with way too many flashbacks making it hard to maintain your focus on the main thread. Since I am not a huge fan of the Walker series and having so little Beaumont in the story, I found I was forcing myself to finish it. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Brandon Walker series, unabridged audiobook ( )
  seasidereader | Feb 24, 2016 |

"J. P. Beaumont and Brandon Walker, two of New York Times bestselling author J. A. Jance's most acclaimed series characters, join forces for the first time in one of the most suspenseful works of her career. Prospector Amos Warren and Big Bad John Lassiter, his young protege were as close as father and son until a violent argument tore them apart. The next day, Amos disappeared, never to be seen again. Years later, his bones were found in the desert. All signs pointed to John Lassiter, and Detective Brandon Walker made the arrest in the case. Now, more than four decades later, the retired Walker is called in when TLC--The Last Chance, a group of retired cops, criminalists, medical examiners, and district attorneys who devote their time and experience to solving stone-cold homicide cases--looks into the killing. Lassiter can get out of jail now for time served if he'll plead guilty to a lesser charge, but he refuses to cop to a crime he didn't commit. Lassiter's daughter, Amanda Wasser, wants Brandon and TLC to find Amos's "real" killer and clear her father's name. Brandon Walker's search to find the truth about Amos's killer eventually leads sixteen hundred miles north to Seattle, to an unsolved murder that could be connected to the case. Thanks to a mutual friend, Brandon gets in touch with crack investigator J. P. Beaumont. With the Special Homicide Investigation Team, affectionately known as S.H.I.T., disbanded and his wife away at a conference, the retired Beau has plenty of free time to help, even though he's skeptical about Lassiter's claims of innocence. J. P. Beaumont and Brandon Walker's connection proves all too crucial, for soon these seasoned detectives must pool their personal and professional expertise when someone close to Brandon falls into the hands of a cold blooded killer involved in a recent multiple homicide--who may also hold the key to the cold case"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,029,016 books! | Top bar: Always visible