Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Reawakened (The Reawakened Series) by…

Reawakened (The Reawakened Series)

by Colleen Houck

I didn't intend to read this book. At all. While my son was happily in a library program, I stalked the book rows looking for something to amuse myself while I waited for him. I ended up near the "teen." section and saw this book with its pretty cover and Eye of Horus peeking at me. "Oh, Egypt!" Reading the jacket, I acknowledged that this would probably be an Egyptian flavour of Twilight but having just an hour to amuse myself and liking Ancient Egyptian history quite a bit seemed a good enough reason to find a seat and just read. Certainly seemed better than watching the shoeless woman wander the aisles seemingly unnoticed by staff...

Now, I have read some of the book reviews, and I don't understand the severity of some of the hate. It was a teenage book, meant to be a work of fiction and not a historical exposé into the lives of the ancient Egyptians and their gods. So, I tend to view it for what it is, a work of teenage fiction and don't try to accept it as a fully grown adult who traipsed unawares into "teen-fiction land."

Yes, the protagonist was an unbelievably and perhaps cliche rich girl from New York, but that, to my teenage self would have allowed me to live vicariously through her as well as feel a bit superior that I didn't have the burdens that go along with financial privilege. And yes, it is 100% impossible to fall in love with an impossibly gorgeous hunk of an ancient god cross decayed mummy. It takes both reality and ancient history very (very!) loosely in the hand but somehow alchemizes it into a cohesive story. I did not get the feeling of "racism" that some people are suggesting in their review and perhaps that is because I never intended to take the story very seriously or use it to define or even parallel my world-view. I don't know, but personally I just enjoyed the ancient setting that very casually borrowed from Egyptian myth to set the scene of an impossible but enjoyable love tale.

Now, all this said, an hour passed and I had to bring the book home with me. I read it daily until it was done (only a few days; it is a light but entertaining read) and enjoyed almost all of it. There were parts I was certainly too old (bah humbug) to take seriously but despite that the book wove a magical tale that if you dared to relax enough just to accept and enjoy, was a very good story. I wound up caring for the ancient god-boys-men and wanting it to end well. My inner teenager was smitten. :) But for me, the deciding factor of whether I liked the book or not was that when it was over, I wanted a "next" book to figure out what happened. That to me is good enough to say I liked the book.

Would I recommend it to everyone? Absolutely not. Nor would I recommend some of my heavier ancient Egyptian history books to some. If you are looking for a lighter read and love ancient Egyptian myth casually enough that you won't be offended when liberties are taken, this is an entertaining diversion from a modern life mostly devoid of the same sort of magic and some enjoyable hours away from the burdens of modern adulthood. ( )
  Ainevethe | May 29, 2018 |
I really wanted to love this book, but I couldn't. I've been interested in and studied Egyptian mythology for awhile now, so I assumed this book would be a great read for me. However, I came to find out that even though the book is centered around Egyptian mythology, its all a polished, Hollywood depiction. I feel like the author didn't study much about it at all, which made for a very poor basis for the story. Not only that, the characters... I don't even know how to phrase how I felt about the characters. Lily is an entitled, rich girl who constantly complains about the stability of her life and longs for adventure. Amon is a creepy stalker who doesn't mind hurting Lily for his own well-being. I do admit that he eventually develops somewhat of a consciousness, but it shouldn't take falling in love with someone to realize you shouldn't take part of their essence/strength/soul without their permission.

I'm torn as to how I feel. The story is definitely better than some of the other things I've read, but I feel like it could have been so much more. Overall, my rating is 2.75 stars. ( )
  spellbindingstories | May 24, 2018 |
This was supposed to be my last read of 2015 but due to falling asleep less than an hour before midnight on New Years Eve, it has now become my first read of 2016. not that I am complaining as it has gotten 2016 off to a good start.

I have always been interested in Egyptian mythology and this book used it really well when fusing it in with a modern setting. have ing recently read something else that also dealt with egyptian mythology , I was reasonably familiar with the stories with some of the mythology used in this novel.

Lilliana (Lily) Price has always done what she was told by her parents, and other in authority. her parents have her whole life essentially mapped out for her and while she may not be 100% happy with this, neither is she going against it.

Then she is in the wrong place and the right time and a chance encounter with a newly awakened mummy changes everything. Suddenly Lily is helping an Egyptian prince ind his brothers and enact a ceremony to keep the God of Chaos Seth from rising for another 100 years, risking her life for a man she barely knows but is developing feelings for and travelling to countries and doing things she would never have dreamed of just days earlier and even worse; She does not regret a thing!

I found this a wee bit slow to start. Having come from a previous read where I had been completely immersed from the get go ( and maybe still suffering a bit of a book hangover), it took me a little while to really get myself into the story but by 60-75 pages in, the pages began to fly and I found myself generally looking forward to getting back to the story every time real life intervened and I had to put the book down.

What Ms Houck does really well is to fuse mythology and a great modern story line together to make a plot that is exciting, romantic and can both sweep you off your feet and leave you on the edge of the seat you land on.

I also loved the chemistry between Lily and Amun. At first I wasn't so sure but as they interacted more and more, their chemistry built and by the end I was really pulling for them. I also felt that the change in Lily was authentic, she didn't become a different person but more discovered who she really was when not constrained by the rules of her parents and her perfect life and I flet like she really grew and discovered herself over the course of the novel.

I think I fell in love with all three of the brothers and i left the novel feeling like I really needed an Egyptian prince with godly powers of my own.

I found the ending a wee but confusing but I do know that there will be another book in this series and I for one, cannot wait to read it.

A most enjoyable start to my reading in 2016 and I give this book 4 stars

Sapphired Dragon xx
  SapphiredDragon | Nov 21, 2017 |
Ms. Houck is one of my most favorite authors! Her books remind me of "Jewel of the Nile" only better, because they are books. This series has an Egyptian god/prince as the hero/love-interest. Action packed with lots of romance. . . ( )
  Doeni | Aug 29, 2017 |
Actual rating is somewhere between a 2 and a 2.5.

If you're looking for Insta-love and whiney, snobby, love-struck main character than this book is perfect for you.

Unfortunately, that's not ever what I'm looking for. I at least kinda found the end of the story interesting, so I won't knock it to one star, but although I have the next two books in the series, I'm putting it off for a while ( )
  lunaloretta | Aug 29, 2017 |

The first book in a new multi-book series from New York Times bestselling author, COLLEEN HOUCK, about a teenage girl entangled in an epic Egyptian quest full of romance, adventure, and mythology!

Author Colleen Houck's first series, The Tigers Curse, was a New York Times Bestseller, a USA Today Bestseller, A Publisher's Weekly Bestseller, and A Parents' Choice Award Winner. The Tigers Curse series is also being made into a movie! Adapted by Julie Plec, creator of The Vampire Diaries, and directed by Shekhar Kapur, who directed the Academy-Award winning, Elizabeth.

When seventeen-year-old Lilliana Young enters the Metropolitan Museum of Art one morning during spring break, the last thing she expects to find is a live Egyptian prince with godlike powers, who has been reawakened after a thousand years of mummification.
And she really can’t imagine being chosen to aid him in an epic quest that will lead them across the globe.

But fate has taken hold of Lily, and she, along with her sun prince, Amon, must travel to the Valley of the Kings, raise his brothers, and stop an evil, shape-shifting god named Seth from taking over the world.

From New York Times bestselling author Colleen Houck comes an epic adventure about two star-crossed teens who must battle mythical forces and ancient curses on a journey with more twists and turns than the Nile itself.

Praise for The Tigers Curse Series:

"A sweet romance and heart-pounding adventure . . . In short, Tiger's Curse is magical!"--Becca Fitzpatrick, New York Times bestselling author of Hush, Hush

"The hot new romance-adventure series of 2011 . . ."--Teen Magazine

“Epic, grand adventure rolled into a sweeping love story . . .” --Sophie Jordan, author of Firelight

“An epic love triangle that kept me eagerly turning the pages!” --Alexandra Monir, author of Timeless

"The Tiger's Curse Series has everything my heart could desire in a fantasy: exotic locations, two dashing princes, good vs. evil, the promise of danger and adventure lurking around every corner-and did I mention the two dashing princes?  Warning: these books may cause you to forget anything else exists until you've turned the last enthralling page. And then you'll want to start all over again!" --Bree Despain, author of the Dark Divine trilogy

“The way Colleen weaves Indian culture, Hinduism and her own made-up fairy tale into an action-packed love story is captivating.” --MTV.com's Hollywood Crush blog

“Tiger's Curse is an alluring premise that opens with a bang… She has an excellent sense of story and paints a vivid picture.” --The Los Angeles Times

“Houck's first novel is part Indiana Jones, and part fairy tale… she tells a good story that will keep readers turning pages.” --Booklist

“One of the best books I have ever read. An ultimate thrill ride. A roller-coaster ride from the beginning to end, this book has action, history, poetry, romance, magic- everything you could ever want. A book with so much passion and thrills you won't be able to put it down. This saga is going to be one of the best yet.” --RT Book Review

“Houck has clearly done a great deal of research on Indian culture, and she is adept at including details that allow readers to understand the story's setting…Twilight fans will appreciate the supernatural, star-crossed romance.” --School Library Journal

“A smart, vibrant adventure romance wrapped in a quest…takes the protagonists through adventures that would make Steven Spielberg proud…Full of danger, dash, allegory, and love under the banana tree.” --Kirkus Reviews

“Young women yearn for romance, for prince charming, and sometimes for more than one suitor. Charged with action and stolen kisses…” --Clarion

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:37 -0400)

"A visit to an Egyptian exhibit brings teen Lilliana Young face to face with a recently awakened mummy-turned-handsome-sun-god as she gets caught up in an adventure with more twists and turns than the Nile itself"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,435,779 books! | Top bar: Always visible