Only a Kiss: A Survivors' Club Novel by…

Only a Kiss: A Survivors' Club Novel (edition 2015)

by Mary Balogh (Author)

Member:Laura_lita
Title:Only a Kiss: A Survivors' Club Novel
Authors:Mary Balogh (Author)
Info:Berkley (2015), 400 pages
Collections:eBooks, To read

Only a Kiss by Mary Balogh

This is the sixth book in The Survivors Club series, and right now my favorite, but ever since this series started, I was very much intrigued by the secondary character in each book, that of George, who is the Duke of Stanbrooke. His story will finally come to light in the seventh book, ‘Only Beloved’. And that will end this series which I truly loved. I can see me rereading these while waiting for Ms. Balogh to give another series.

As all the stories in this series, this one too was intriguing and entertaining, fast paced and heart wrenching.

Imogen is the only woman of the Survivors’ Club, a group of mentally and physically damaged individuals, all suffering from the ravages of the Napoleonic Wars. Their close developed bonds while recovering at a remote estate of the Duke of Stanbrooke, who has lost his son in the war and his loving wife to a suicide after the news they received of his death.

I have to say that I had doubts about this hero being the right man for my Imogen. She had shown in all the previous books and I became very protective of her so this guy, on the first glimpse wasn’t anyone I envisioned her with. Well, color me green with envy when I got to know the hero a lot better. He was so perfect for her, I wanted to adopt him and his dog!

The blurb summarizes the book really well, so I’ll skip on that but I’ll tell you this. The story has many entertaining, fun, intriguing and heartwarming moments. It moves at a steady pace and it made me chuckle and cry. Highly recommending it!

Melanie for b2b
  bookworm2bookworm | Mar 30, 2017 |
A wonderful story to end this 6-book series. Ms. Balogh plucks all heart strings with this one. She excels at writing stories of angst and bewilderment; longing and loss; renewal and recklessness. Truly one of her best.

Audio Narrator: Rosalyn Landor is an excellent match for Mary Balogh's historicals. :) ( )
  Conkie | Apr 24, 2016 |
Only a Kiss by Mary Balogh is a 2015 Signet Publication.

Just when I think Mary Bologh can’t possibly continue to improve upon this series, she goes and writes one of the most emotional and unique romances in the series so far.

I have wondered when we were going to delve into Imogen’s tale, and have been most curious about her backstory.

Percy Hayes has become tired and bored of himself and so to break up the monotony, he decides to visit his estate in Cornwall. Here he meets his distant cousin, Imogen.

Imogen has closed herself off from the world, after her husband’s death, and has managed to find a peaceful existence at Cornwall. But, when she meets Percy, she is not all impressed with him and the two embark upon a bit of a tug of war, as he attempts to step in and direct her life, probing in areas that no one, save those in the survivor’s club, have ever dared to pursue.

But, there are dangers surrounding Cornwall, which involves smugglers, and Percy feels it is his obligation to face his own fears and make a stand. This thread winds its way around the building friendship and eventual affair between Percy and Imogene, and drops a dollop of unease into the equation.

The first half of the book has Imogene and Percy slow dancing around each other, testing the waters, challenging their own boundaries, and finally agreeing to enjoy the time Percy has at the estate without strings or promises of undying love. Of course, we all know that is something nearly impossible to pull off. In this case, it’s Imogene’s severe trauma and her refusal to love anyone again that is the biggest hurdle the couple will have to face.

While all the survivors have had difficult experiences, some more emotional that others, but, all very compelling, I have to say, Imogen’s story knocked me back on my heels. Her story is stunning, shocking, courageous, horrifying, and so utterly heartbreaking, I was in tears. My heart just hurt for all that she endured.

As for Percy, a man at loose ends, who had never accomplished anything all that important in his life, he certainly rises to the occasion for Imogen. Oh, sure, he makes some blunders, is blinded by his good fortune, makes some misguided attempts at heroism, but in the end he steps up and becomes all Imogen could ever hope for and more.

Once more, the author makes the effort to show readers that true love goes much deeper than sensual or romantic love, something many romance novels today will overlook, and I appreciate Mary’s subtle reminders of that.

Although, this story got off to a lackadaisical start, it ended up being deeply moving, very romantic, and packs one very powerful punch.

If you have not started on this series, I highly recommend it. Mary Balogh is one of the best regency romance authors out there and is always a ‘go to’ author for me. For those who are reading this series, you already know how wonderful it is, and I know you will love this one as much as I did. ( )
  gpangel | Jan 24, 2016 |
4.5 Stars

Only one small disappointment dinged this book for me, but overall we have another great one from Balogh. I love the leads and their emotional journey. When all is said and done for historical romance, those are the most important things.

I really liked Imogen. She’s strong and vulnerable in all the places she needs to be. I liked how her traumatic past showed itself in her rigid self-control and semi-aloofness. Her hesitation to get close to anyone else besides her fellow Survivor Club members is a realistic and painful reaction to seeing what she has seen. I loved seeing her transformation, her journey towards loving again as she gets closer to Percy.

And oh Percy! What a fantastic hero! He starts out as your typical Regency era flaky playboy: gambling, drinking, no goals in life, and sleeping around. His transformation into a mature man who cares for his tenants and employees, who finds the courage to stand against smugglers (who few others seem to care about), and help to heal such a damaged individual as Imogen was awe-inspiring. I fell in love with him right along with Imogen.

I haven’t come across a couple in historical romance as well suited for each other as these two in a while. They dove tail so well together, having personalities, outlooks on life, and such that are different enough to balance the other out and similar enough to give common ground. I really feel that Percy is the best choice for Imogen, not only does he love her but he also heals, makes her laugh, and gives her a shoulder to help balance the burden of her past. I love them together.

My one area of disappointment will probably not be an area of problem for another reader. Towards the end of the book, more about Imogen’s past and her war trauma is gone over and explained. Her past also shapes her personality and how she approaches Percy, too.

Yet, I felt liked there was a missed opportunity here. The idea of the woman being the war-weary, injured party in a historical romance relationship is so unique. There seemed to be an opening to explore or examine how women contributed or were affected by the Peninsular war when physically present. Maybe I was just wishing for more exploration of Imogen’s role/experiences in the war and how it impacted her life than was actually present. It’s what really made me anticipate this entry into the Survivor Club series.

A pretty great historical romance, this book shines when it comes to characters and their romance. Extremely vibrant and emotional, I loved both leads and their romance was to die for. The only hitch for me was a personal one. I wished for more exploration of how the war trauma affected Imogen and her life, even though it does in very subtle ways in the book. So at least there’s something there. I’d still highly recommend this book to lovers of Regency era romances and Mary Balogh. It’s a great romance. ( )
  Sarah_Gruwell | Jan 14, 2016 |
We find out what scars Imogen, Lady Barclay has. Percival Hayes, Earl of Hardford goes to visit his estate in Cornwall to find out what it's like, he's just turned 30 and he's feeling a little unfulfilled with his life. When the two meet they first clash but then they realise that they admire each other.

It deals with her problems without really glancing over them, and what she has to deal with isn't trivial, there are also hints that she mightn't be able to have children, but that's not clear. What is clear is that they both care for each other and want the best for each other. I love the reaction to the dog and the strays and how he does hi best to help.

It's a fairly predictable story with some smugglers to add some tension, it was a very good read. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Oct 7, 2015 |

Mary Baloghprimary authorall editionscalculated
Landor, RosalynReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Books, RecordedPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Percival William Henry Hayes, Earl of Hardford, Viscount Barclay, was hugely, massively, colossally bored.
The trouble with life sometimes is that we are all in it together.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451469682, Mass Market Paperback)

The Survivors’ Club: Six men and one woman, injured in the Napoleonic Wars, their friendships forged in steel and loyalty. But for one, her trials are not over....

Since witnessing the death of her husband during the wars, Imogen, Lady Barclay, has secluded herself in the confines of Hardford Hall, their home in Cornwall. The new owner has failed to take up his inheritance, and Imogen desperately hopes he will never come to disturb her fragile peace.

Percival Hayes, Earl of Hardford, has no interest in the wilds of Cornwall, but when he impulsively decides to pay a visit to his estate there, he is shocked to discover that it is not the ruined heap he had expected. He is equally shocked to find the beautiful widow of his predecessor’s son living there.

Soon Imogen awakens in Percy a passion he has never thought himself capable of feeling. But can he save her from her misery and reawaken her soul? And what will it mean for him if he succeeds?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:59 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,955,243 books! | Top bar: Always visible