Zeroes by Scott Westerfeld

So much fun! A cast of characters with super powers they haven't quite mastered take the reader on a roller coaster of a read!
Somewhat Avengers and somewhat Midnighters, Westerfeld, along with Lanagan and Biancotti, have created a wonderful premise that will leave the reader wanting more.
Like real life, these teens realize that they are stronger when they work as a team. And what a team they are! Had me on the edge of my seat!
I can't wait to see what their next mission is! ( )
  SusanGeiss | Mar 24, 2019 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this story. It was a little edgy, maybe a bit too real for 8th graders, but it was a great storyline about 6 kids with mind powers and how they control or do not control these powers within themselves. It was interesting to see this side of the Super Hero tales. I cannot wait to get my hands on the next book about how power can be corrupt, or something like that - I think it is NATE that will be bad or the antagonist in the next tale.
  MrNattania | Jan 26, 2018 |
More reviews at adventureswithinthepages.tumblr.com

Westerefeld, Lanagan, and Biancotti artfully change the point of view among characters while keeping the cohesive flow of the story and maintaining the characters’ separate voices.

Chizara (Crash) is my favorite member of the Zeroes. She can break or “crash” electronics with her mind. I liked the parallels drawn between her growth as a character and the development of her powers. I, and I think lots of other teen readers would, relate to how she often feels out of control.

Ethan (Scam) has the best and worst power. He can get anything he wants, but it often comes with unwanted side effects (like magic wishes). As one of the more featured members of the novel, he has plenty of page time (or is it page space?) to get into sticky situations, but that is not his only role. Despite being the only one with a power that works best with only one person, he brings the group together and finds a new members, while also struggling to find a personal identity outside of his voice. I’m really interested in learning more about how is power works in future novels.

Thibault (Anon)- I just want to give him a big hug and protect him forever — that is, if I can remember him. Anon’s power allows him to go unnoticed or forgotten, even if he doesn’t want to. His chapters about being forgotten by his family and living almost completely unattached were so well-written that my heart broke with his pain. I wonder how he survived infancy with his family always forgetting him. Again, I’m looking forward to learning more about these powers.

Riley (Flicker)- Her power allows her to see through other people’s eyes. This wasn’t used, thankfully, to “fix” her blindness. Her chapters talk about the things she still has difficulty with or can’t do, and her being a member of the Zeroes and her disability aren’t mutually exclusive. Flicker was very sweet and also resourceful, and I loved her relationship with her sister.

Nate (Bellwether)- The “Glorious Leader” can change the emotions of a group. He was just kind of… there in terms of characters. I didn’t really feel anything with regards to him.

Kelsey (Mob)- Mob can push her emotions into a group and direct a group’s emotion. She was a foil to Bellwether’s character, and I’m interested in seeing how her and his powers interact. (But more focus on Mob than Bellwether please). Her relationship with her father hit me right in the heart.

The group dynamics were awkward at times, which makes sense given that this is a group of people brought together by powers they otherwise have to keep hidden. They didn’t work together like a well-oiled machine, but they completed their mission. Like true Zeroes.

I’m just completely fascinated with their powers. They’re completely original and complex. I want to know more about how they developed. There were hints about it having to do with their birth year, so I hope that’s expanded upon in the next book.

I haven’t met a Scott Westerfeld book that I didn’t like. Westerfeld, Bioncotti, and Lanagan are a powerhouse trio. Sequel please! ( )
  captainbooknerd | Jan 11, 2018 |
Ooh Scott Westerfeld's books are always quite good. Nothing particularly special, though. Flicker wasn't well-written; the whole "disability is rendered moot by special powers" doesn't jive with me. Crash was an interesting character, but not super fleshed out - which was the fault of most characters. Too many of them. The one character that stood out to me was Anon. (HOW IRONIC.) The plot wasn't particularly special, either. But it was enjoyable! ( )
  jwmchen | Nov 4, 2017 |
Not what I was expecting, but I enjoyed it. Westefeld always seams to be right on the line of teen and adult but he dosnt make it feel as if he is writing for idiots like many similar authors do. This story is about a few teens from all diferent backgrounds that come together because they have superpowers. or atleast they have powers. They think they are pretty much worthless. But if they can work together great things might happen or not. ( )
  Trevorsherman | Oct 25, 2017 |

Scott Westerfeldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Biancotti, Deborahsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lanagan, Margosecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Don’t call them heroes.

But these six Californian teens have powers that set them apart. They can do stuff ordinary people can’t.

Take Ethan, a.k.a. Scam. He’s got a voice inside him that’ll say whatever you want to hear, whether it’s true or not. Which is handy, except when it isn’t—like when the voice starts gabbing in the middle of a bank robbery. The only people who can help are the other Zeroes, who aren’t exactly best friends these days.

Enter Nate, a.k.a. Bellwether, the group’s “glorious leader.” After Scam’s SOS, he pulls the scattered Zeroes back together. But when the rescue blows up in their faces, the Zeroes find themselves propelled into whirlwind encounters with ever more dangerous criminals. And at the heart of the chaos they find Kelsie, who can take a crowd in the palm of her hand and tame it or let it loose as she pleases.

Filled with high-stakes action and drama, Zeroes unites three powerhouse authors for the opening installment of a thrilling new series.

Told from separate viewpoints, teens Scam, Crash, Flicker, Anonymous, Bellwether, and Kelsie, all born in the year 2000 and living in Cambria, California, have superhuman abilities that give them interesting but not heroic lives until they must work as a community to respond to a high stakes crisis.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,778,824 books! | Top bar: Always visible