Scorsese on Scorsese: Revised Edition by…

Scorsese on Scorsese: Revised Edition

by David Thompson

206356,890 (3.96)None

The two editors gathered material from Scorsese's interviews over many years on individual films--up to and including Gangs of New York. If you've watched Mean Streets, Taxi Driver, Casino, etc., many times, as I have, it's all very interesting. I immediately watched Casino and Goodfellas to examine his choices anew. Next: Age of Innocence, probably my favorite.

There are even comments about his early student films, documentaries and Italian ads, which I haven't seen.

Then of course there is Scorsese's well-known deep knowledge and references to classic films from Italy and everywhere else. These are very much on display in this book because, whatever the question, he keeps coming back to the structure of a film, the shooting and lighting of individual scenes, editing and music. He has frequently gotten ideas, particularly for shots, from old films he has stored in his amazingly detailed memory. I guess my only complaint is that I wanted more! If I were an editor, I would cut out a lot of the remarks on those very early films in favor of more details about Cape Fear, Kundun, King of Comedy and Bringing out the Dead.

However, you won't get many clues about his views re performances or various actors' methods. And Scorsese never says anything bad about anyone--be it actors, studios or money men. Well, some hints about the of studio heads. But, really, not a shred of gossip. You can see why he is so loved and why he has survived. ( )
  Periodista | Dec 16, 2011 |
If it wasn't for my presentation devoted to Wharton's "The Age of Innocence" and its movie adaptation, probably I'd never pick this book up.Thankfully, this book turn out to be not only a great source of information on the movie and the whole movie-making process but also a fascinating journey into Scorsese's mind. ( )
  Sarna | Jul 11, 2011 |
excellent for what it is, but certainly not the last word on Scorsese's films and their impact on American culture as well as on movies themselves ( )
  echaika | Jan 12, 2010 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0571220029, Paperback)

True to its title, this book lets Martin Scorsese speak for himself. In what is essentially a long and fascinating interview, David Thompson and Ian Christie encourage Scorsese to recall the whole of his life, from his childhood in Little Italy to the creation of his most recent films. More than any major director working in America today, Scorsese proves himself to be terrifically articulate and wonderfully open when speaking about his life and work. Scorsese on Scorsese also contains a biography, a filmography and lots of terrific behind-the-scenes photographs.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:19 -0400)

Martin Scorsese is one of the most celebrated film-makers working today in Hollywood. A five time Academy Award Nominee for Best Director, Scorsese's films consistently push the boundaries of what viewers expect to see on the silver screen. From Taxi Driver to Goodfellas to The Departed, Scorsese continually challeneges audiences with his gritty, often brutal films. Developed from over 30 years of interviews with his friend and fellow director, Michael Henry Wilson, Scorsese on Scorsese is the first book to examine the career of this cinematic master in his own words. Illustrated with documents, and personal photos from Scorsese's own archive along with film stills, this in-depth look at all of Scorsese's masterpieces from his early short films all the way up to his recent Shutter Island (2010) is a key reference work for both fans of the director and professionals looking for the keys to the master's work.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,406,648 books! | Top bar: Always visible