How to bake [pi] : an edible exploration of…

How to bake [pi] : an edible exploration of the mathematics of mathematics (original 2015; edition 2015)

by Eugenia Cheng

"In How to Bake Pi, math professor Eugenia Cheng provides an accessible introduction to the logic and beauty of mathematics, powered, unexpectedly, by insights from the kitchen: we learn, for example, how the béchamel in a lasagna can be a lot like the number 5, and why making a good custard proves that math is easy but life is hard."--Publisher description.… (more)
Member:ohlonelibrary
Title:How to bake [pi] : an edible exploration of the mathematics of mathematics
Authors:Eugenia Cheng
Info:New York, NY : Basic Books, a member of the Perseus Books Group, [2015]

How to Bake Pi: An Edible Exploration of the Mathematics of Mathematics by Eugenia Cheng (2015)

English (6)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (9)
If this was how I was taught math in school, I probably would have seen the value of learning it. ( )
  AnnaHernandez | Oct 17, 2019 |
Rambling, boring, and teaches nothing. I gave up. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
Not what I thought it would be but it was a pleasant surprise. I grew to severely dislike math in school. Tedious, never understood a lot of the practical applications, eventually I only got by with a tenuous understanding. I understood the concepts, my friends who tried to help told me, but something went missing in the application.

So this book sounded interesting. I found it accidentally while browsing online. Somehow I thought it was going to be how math is used in cooking or some similar application. That's not quite what it's about but luckily it worked for me.

It's really about math. What it is, how it works, what is the logic behind it, etc. Food does play a role but more as an example as a guide to the greater concept: ingredients in a recipe, cutting up a cake, modifying a recipe, adapting recipes, etc. Cheng also brings in other concepts including feminism, voting, reading a map, bagels vs. coffee cups, etc. But it doesn't get preachy or editorial: rather these server as jumping off points or analogies for the "math phobic."

So while it really isn't what the back cover says it is, I still thought it was an enjoyable read. It's probably really 3.5 stars: sometimes my interest waxed and waned a bit and in all honesty this book would have come in handy for me while I was still in school. The beginning chapters especially seemed very helpful and as the book goes on sometimes it drags here and there.

Still, overall it was a lovely surprise to find that a misleading book blurb or marketing actually still ended up being an enjoyable read for me. That said, I can see why people would feel misled or that the book didn't do what they thought it would do. Might be a handy gift for someone who doesn't like math or doesn't "get it". I could easily see this book being used as a supplement or optional book in a math course at the high school (depending on the level) or college level. Would recommend checking it out from the library but I didn't mind buying this one. ( )
  acciolibros | Feb 11, 2018 |
An edible exploration of the mathematics of mathematics
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
Audio. I'm still hoping for some math ability to sink in by osmosis. Part 1 was about the basics and more complex math concepts. Part two was about Category Theory, which seems to be a rather esoteric branch of mathematics. I liked the way the author used cooking analogies (recipes included) and real-life situations to demonstrate the math concepts. I also enjoyed the little bit she shared about the problems of being a woman in the field of mathematics. I found it quite soothing to listen to this--in a comforting way, not a put-me-to-sleep way--as the letters and numbers and formulas flowed past me. I understood lots of the individual parts of it, but I didn't really grasp the overarching whole. But that is no fault of the book.
  SylviaC | Oct 25, 2016 |
They say mathematics is a glorious garden. I know I would certainly lose my way in it without your guidance. Thank you for walking us through the most beautiful entrance pathway.

from a student's letter to the author
University of Chicago, June 2014
To
my parents
and Martin Hyland

In memory of
Christine Pembridge
Here is a recipe for clotted cream. (Prologue)
Math, like recipes, has both ingredients and method.

Contents:

Math. What is math? ; Abstraction ; Principles ; Process ; Generalization ; Internal vs. external ; Axiomatization ; What mathematics is -- Category theory. What is category theory? ; Context ; Relationships ; Structure ; Sameness ; Universal properties ; What category theory is.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,389,869 books! | Top bar: Always visible