Secondhand Souls: A Novel by Christopher…

Secondhand Souls: A Novel (edition 2015)

by Christopher Moore (Author)

Member:bazling
Title:Secondhand Souls: A Novel
Authors:Christopher Moore (Author)
Info:William Morrow (2015), Edition: 1St Edition, 352 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:fiction, humor, series

Secondhand Souls by Christopher Moore

Charlie Asher used to collect souls. There has been a gap, when many souls that should have been collected, weren’t. Somehow this is all related to the Golden Gate Bridge.

This is the sequel to “A Dirty Job”, which was one of my favourites by Moore. Unfortunately, this one fell quite a bit short for me. I’m rating it ok at 3 stars, which might be a bit generous. It was nice to revisit some characters and I was interested as some events were happening, but I often missed connections on why something was happening (hence the sketchy summary in my first paragraph!). I listened to the audio, and I did think the narrator did a good job – he particularly did well with various accents. ( )
  LibraryCin | Apr 6, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is an enjoyable, funny sequel that returns to Charlie Asher and friends for another world-saving adventure staving off Death. Mostly it's light--I didn't particularly love the characters and thought the plot dragged a bit in places--but I was entertained while I read it.
  calmclam | Feb 27, 2017 |
Poor Charlie Asher may be not dead (exact,y) but he's finding life in a makeshift body leaves a lot to be desired. His daughter doesn't know he's alive and his soulmate finds his little "squirrel person" body repugnant. Besides, hi claws keep catching in the carpet. But worse things are in store as trouble is brewing in the underworld and the problems Charlie, Minty Fresh and their friends had laid to rest seem to be reawakening. A hilarious sequel. ( )
  kaitanya64 | Jan 3, 2017 |
Fair Warning: From here on out, there will be MAJOR SPOILERS for the first book in this series, A Dirty Job. If you haven’t read A Dirty Job yet, you should really be reading that instead of this review.

So it’s been a year since the events of A Dirty Job; the apocalypse was averted, the underworld defeated, and Charlie Asher’s soul has been bound into a 14-inch high body made from animal parts and lunchmeat (and a 10-inch penis, naturally). This particular form being unsuited for parenting, his 7 year old daughter Sophie (Death with a big ‘D’) is being raised by his sister and her wife.

Then the keening (and insistent, especially where a taser is involved) wailing of a banshee warns that maybe the apocalypse wasn’t as averted as originally thought. It seems that thousands of spirits are being trapped by the Golden Gate Bridge, that the Morrigan are clawing their way back into the world, and that a new, smooth, death wannabe is wreaking havoc on the established order of things. Oh, and it seems that Sophie’s hellhounds have gone missing and her mojo might be on the wane.

I’ve been a huge fan of Christopher Moore ever since Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ’s Childhood Pal. Moore’s books are one of my go-tos when I need a comfort read. Secondhand Souls certainly follows in the Moore tradition, with the irreverent and (I mean this in the best possible way) juvenile humor that makes him so much fun. Now, I will say that this is not his strongest work, but maybe that is because A Dirty Job was easily one of his best. Without the pathos of single-dad Charlie Asher trying to figure out how to raise his death-incarnate daughter to be a well-rounded human being, the story is a bit flat. Nonetheless, I found myself laughing out loud and enjoying myself, so I feel the book was a success. Fans of Moore, Dave Barry, or A. Lee Martinez should absolutely pick up this book.

I won a copy of this book in a giveaway by William Morrow Pubishing.

More reviews available on my blog!
www.theirregularreaderblog.wordpress.com ( )
  irregularreader | Oct 31, 2016 |

I won a copy of this book in a giveaway by William Morrow Pubishing. ( )
  irregularreader | Oct 31, 2016 |

Christopher Mooreprimary authorall editionscalculated
BeeteethCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moore, CharleeAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of Keith Bowen
(Selected from the Great Big Book of Death: First Edition)

1) Congratulations, you have been chosen to act as Death, it's a dirty job, but someone has to do it.
Despite having been liberated from his beta-male DNA, Charlie still viewed the world with glassy-eyed suspicion, due in no small part to the fact that he had already been murdered once and hadn't cared for the experience. (chapter 5)
[Lily is wearing a black, Victorian-style gown with bustle as she goes by three members of the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence]

As she passed the sisters, one of them looked at her corset-elevated cleavage and tsked-tsked her as she passed.

'Really, doll, the devil's pillows at a funeral?'

'Only dress I had that was clean,' Lily said. Which was not entirely true, but even she knew it was ill-advised to throw down with drag nuns at a funeral, and she felt very mature for the lie.

'Well, they're stunning,' said a second nun. 'If you got it, flaunt it, I guess --'

'God loves hussies, too,' said the third. 'Bless you, child.' (chapter 17)

It seems like only yesterday that Charlie Asher took on a very dirty job - collecting souls and keeping the Forces of Darkness at bay. The new gig came with the Big Book of the Dead and a host of other oddities; creatures under the streets, an evil trinity of ravenlike Celtic death goddesses, and one very bad Underworld dude attempting to conquer humanity. Along with a cohort of other oddballs, Charlie faced off against these denizens of darkness - and met his own end. But thanks to Audrey, his Buddhist-nun boo, his soul is still alive...inside a fourteen-inch-high body made from lunchmeat and spare animal parts. Waiting for Audrey to find him a suitable new body to play host, Charlie has squirreled himself away from everyone, including his adorable seven-year-old daughter, Sophie, who enjoys dressing up like a princess, playing with her glitter ponies, and being the Luminatus - spouting off about her power over the Underworld and her domination over Death.

Just when Charlie and company thought the world was safe, some really freaky stuff hits San Fransicso. People are dying, but their souls are not being collected. Someone - or something - is stealing them and no one knows where they are going, or why, but it has something to do with that big orange bridge. Then there's the Taser-wielding banshee keening about doom who's suddenly appeared while Sophie's guardian hellhounds, Alvin and Mohammed, have mysteriously vanished.

Charlie is just as flummoxed as everyone else. To get to the bottom of this abomination, he and a motley crew of heroes will band together; the seven-foot-tall, two-hundred-and-seventy-five-pounds-of-lean-heartache Death Merchant Minty Fresh, retired policeman-turned-bookseller Alponse Rivera, the lunatic Emperor of San Francisco and his dogs Bummer and Lazarus, Mike Sullivan, a bridge painter in love with a ghost, a gentle French-speaking janitor named Jean-Pierre Baptiste, and former Goth girl Lily Darquewillow Eleventhing Severo, now a part-time suicide hotline counselor.

With little Sophie babbling about the coming battle for the very soul of humankind, time is definitely not on their side.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Christopher Moore's book Secondhand Souls was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,081,777 books! | Top bar: Always visible