Down the Rabbit Hole: Curious Adventures and…

Down the Rabbit Hole: Curious Adventures and Cautionary Tales of a Former…

by Holly Madison

Interesting read. Life isn't all fun and games at the Hef House. It stopped being that way long before he died.

Holly shares her good times and bad times. Alot of bad times and drama. She has more tolerance for that than I do. ( )
  LadyRakat | Jun 2, 2019 |
Down the Rabbit Hole is her introspective account of her time inside the Mansion: the drugs, abuse, infamous parties, and Holly’s real behind-the-scenes life with Bridget, Kendra, and Mr. Playboy himself. It is also her chronicle of healing and hope. By telling her story, both a cautionary tale and a celebration of personal empowerment, Holly reminds us of the importance of fighting for our dreams—and of finding the life we deserve.

Down the Rabbit Hole is Holly Madison’s memoir that is mostly of her life living in the Playboy Mansion as Hugh Hefner’s number one girlfriend. It’s fascinating how a smart woman like Holly – she has several college credits – could be manipulated into staying at the Mansion under Hef’s strict rules for over six years. It wasn’t for the money – contrary to popular belief, he did not give his girlfriends a lot of money. They each got a relatively small allowance for clothes and beauty treatments and that was it. In return, they lived at the Mansion and had to be in a 9pm every night and were not allowed to spend even one night away from the Mansion without Hef.

I really liked reading all of the behind the scenes info Holly shared about The Girls Next Door the E! reality series that Holly starred in with two of Hef’s other two girlfriends at the time, Kendra and Bridget. I loved that show when it was on. I figured there’s some editing trickery and whatnot in reality TV but I didn’t realize how much! There was a lot in The Girls Next Door. Now I want to find old episodes and watch them again to see if there are any clues about what was REALLY going on during that time at the Mansion.

When Holly finally breaks free of Hugh Hefner’s hold, she immediately takes up with famous magician Criss Angel, who turns out to be even crazier than Hef! I love that Holly tells all in that relationship too, the good, bad and ugly.

The book ends with Holly finding ostensibly true love with her husband Pasquale Rotella. Ironically, just as I finished the book, she and her husband announced they are divorcing. Could another memoir be in the works? Sign me up – I want to know what happened!

Holly is surprisingly intelligent and incredibility honest. If you like celebrity memoirs, you’ll like Down ( )
  mcelhra | Nov 13, 2018 |
Interesting

This was quite interesting and a good read. Holly comes across as smart and ambitious, hardworking and genuine. She also comes across as a bit catty and I wish she had taken more responsibility for the choices she made. She had the audacity to call one of Hefner women his latest concubine..when she was the same. Thinly veiled references of her being better than a prostitute...when she was essentially that were pretty weak. Still she certainly created a life she was proud of and her point of view is interesting and a good solid warning. ( )
  PatsyMac | Aug 12, 2018 |
Down the Rabbit Hole is all about spilling the beans, and I can't say as though I blame Holly Madison for writing it. I hesitate to use the term, but Holly Madison was Heffner's number one girlfriend for seven years, only after years of paying her dues as a lesser ranked girlfriend among a dozen others. She was also one of the stars on The Girls Next Door, a (not so much) reality show that stars Hef's three girlfriends at the time. This book will open your eyes to what life really was like in the mansion, and there is not one thing that was glamorous about it.

While I don't question the authors belief in her own honesty, I do think that she sees herself through rose colored glasses. According to her, practically every other girlfriend was a slut, bitch, user... Except her. There were a lot of victims of broken promises, wasted lives, emotional abuse, broken spirits, etc., but I don't think there was a person with honorable intentions among them, including Holly Madison. I accept that people make decisions for different reasons, and sometimes tell lies to themselves to get through it. Often they don't come to terms until later in life, forgive themselves and move on. Other times, people lie to themselves for so long, that it becomes their real life story, and I think that's the case with Holly Madison. A nice woman, living a good life hopefully, who doesn't care to face the ugliness of who she was in her past. Such as the plight of memoirs, right?

Anyway, I am glad that I read it. It's always good to be reminded of the reasons that I am blessed to live the life that I do, simple as it is. ( )
  StephLaymon | Aug 12, 2018 |
Some parts were more interesting than others while some felt really dragged out. It's cool to get her side of the story and see how she felt about her time at the Playboy mansion. While some of the things written in the book may or may not be the facts Madison wants us to believe but it was definitely interesting. I always loved Holly on Girls Next Door and was very interested in reading her story once I heard about this book. I don't think I will read Holly's other book but I now have a new look on Playboy. ( )
  IntrovertedBooks | Mar 26, 2018 |

Holly Madisonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kain, AmandaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pagnozzi, LorieDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prato, RodicaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Truscello, DeniseCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thus grew the tale of Wonderland - Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
To my family, who inspire me to be a better person.
"Don't you miss the mansion?" squealed a round-faced, wholesome looking 20-something girl in a high pitched voice.

The shocking, never-before-told story of the bizarre world inside the legendary Playboy Mansion—and, finally, the secret truth about the man who holds the key—from one of the few people who truly knows: Hef’s former #1 girlfriend and star of The Girls Next Door

A spontaneous decision at age twenty-one transformed small-town Oregon girl Holly Sue Cullen into Holly Madison, Hugh Hefner’s #1 girlfriend. But like Alice’s journey into Wonderland, after Holly plunged down the rabbit hole, what seemed like a fairytale life inside the Playboy Mansion—including A-list celebrity parties and her own #1-rated television show for four years—quickly devolved into an oppressive routine of strict rules, manipulation, and battles with ambitious, backstabbing bunnies. Life inside the notorious Mansion wasn’t a dream at all—and quickly became her nightmare. After losing her identity, her sense of self-worth, and her hope for the future, Holly found herself sitting alone in a bathtub contemplating suicide.

But instead of ending her life, Holly chose to take charge of it.

In this shockingly candid and surprisingly moving memoir, this thoughtful and introspective woman opens up about life inside the Mansion, the drugs, the sex, the abuse, the infamous parties, and her real behind-the-scenes life with Bridget, Kendra, and, of course, Mr. Playboy himself.

With great courage, Holly shares the details of her subsequent troubled relationship, landing her own successful television series, and the hard work of healing, including her turn on Dancing with the Stars. A cautionary tale and a celebration of personal empowerment, Down the Rabbit Hole reminds us of the importance of fighting for our dreams—and finding the life we deserve.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 01 Jul 2015 17:59:35 -0400)

A former girlfriend of Hugh Hefner describes how her years inside the Playboy Mansion went from a fairytale of A-list celebrity parties to an oppressive regime of strict rules, scheduled sex, and a total loss of identity, so much so that she even contemplated suicide.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,367,905 books! | Top bar: Always visible