The Nest by Kenneth Oppel

The Nest (edition 2016)

by Kenneth Oppel (Author), Jon Klassen (Illustrator)

3721943,991 (4.03)29
Member:smoel14
Title:The Nest
Authors:Kenneth Oppel (Author)
Other authors:Jon Klassen (Illustrator)
Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2016), Edition: Reprint, 272 pages
Rating:***

The Nest by Kenneth Oppel

There is a lot packed in this short novel:

An exciting horror story that reminded me of Stephen King and Neil Gaiman.
A fearful boy dealing with OCD.
A family coping with a baby with severe health problems.
Terrifying wasps (or are they creepy fairies?).
Fears of abandonment and betrayal.
Nightmares which may or may not be real.

Most of all, it is about a boy facing his fears and weaknesses in order to protect his baby brother. I loved it. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
I have not read a contemporary book that is more Kafkaesque than this! Strange, fascinating, and just a bit disturbing. ( )
  SandSing7 | Jun 1, 2018 |

This could possibly be one of the weirdest books I have ever read. As I was reading "The Nest", I didn't find it to be especially scary or that amazing of a story that I would recommend it, but oddly enough I could not put it down. There's something about this story that draws you in and keeps you hooked. Klassen's dark and eerie illustrations adds credence to the ominous tone of the story. I read this book in one sitting because I had to see how this odd and creepy little story was going to end.

The author lightly touches on some serious topics that make you sit back and say, "hmmm, what if?". Overall, this is an interesting quick-read that will definitely keep you engaged. ( )
  DMPrice | Dec 24, 2017 |
The Nest is a fantasy chapter book about a boy named Steve and his daily anxieties, his sick baby brother, and his strange dreams involving the wasps nest outside his home. Steve just wants him and his baby brother to be 'normal', so when wasp-fairy-angels enter his dreams and offer to 'fix' his brother, it seems as though his prayers have been answered. Steve dreams about these creatures every night, has conversations with them, and agrees to help them in their quest. But when Steve finds out that the wasps want to replace his brother instead of fix him, he doesn't want to be a part of it anymore. The wasps grow angry and go against Steve's wishes when they try to replace the baby with their own. Steve goes on a valiant crusade in saving his baby brother, and almost dies. When he wakes, he finds that his brother had a successful surgery and they would both be okay. This is a story about acceptance where the main character struggles with anxiety, and a loved one struggles with many health problems. Steve learns to accept himself and his brother (flaws, panic, health, and all) and comes to the conclusion that "normal isn't a real thing anyway". ( )
  DominiqueStewart | Oct 28, 2017 |
This book would be great for students who might experience anxiety and/or OCD. This is a very unique fantasy book that is a little creepy and even scary at times. A gothic style book that would be engaging for students wanting to explore new genres of books.
  bault | Aug 16, 2017 |

Kenneth Oppelprimary authorall editionscalculated
Oppel, KennethAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Klassen, JonIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Julia, Nathaniel, and Sophia.
The first time I saw them, I thought they were angels.

"When wasps come to Steve in a dream offering to fix his sick baby brother, he thinks all he has to do is say yes. But yes may not mean what Steve thinks it means"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,746,535 books! | Top bar: Always visible