Work: The World in Photographs by Ferdinand…

Work: The World in Photographs

by Ferdinand Protzman

Work if one of the most fundamental human experiences: a practical necessity for most of us, a source of satisfaction for many, and a key indicator of personal identity and social status in cultures all over the world and throughout history.
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0792262042, Hardcover)

Culled from National Geographic's vast photographic archive as well as other important collections, this fascinating, wide-ranging volume presents a wonderfully varied group portrait of people at work—in great cities and tiny villages; in 19th-century China and 21st-century New York; in fields, factories, food carts, four-star restaurants, and just about everywhere else we earn our keep. We see cowboys and clowns, dancers and dog groomers, miners and models. On one page, drill sergeants bark orders to U.S. Navy recruits; on another, young Tibetan monks study Buddhist scriptures; and on another, Kenyan women spread coffee beans to dry.

Work is a subject that is both worldwide and personal. It is a shared endeavor at the very core of our identity. From the glamour of a Parisian fashion show to the grit of an African diamond mine, there are countless ways to make a living. The book illuminates scores of them—many in never-before-published photographs—offering revealing glimpses into various eras and cultures and engaging the reader with entertaining text and informative captions.

With a wonderful mix of the utterly unexpected and the instantly familiar, this vivid panorama takes an essential human activity and shows us myriad ways in which work is at once universal and delightfully, unforgettably unique.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:36 -0400)

Culled from National Geographic's photographic archive as well as other important collections, this wide-ranging volume presents a varied group portrait of people at work--in great cities and tiny villages; in 19th-century China and 21st-century New York; in fields, factories, food carts, four-star restaurants, and just about everywhere else we earn our keep. Here are cowboys and clowns, shepherds and shopkeepers, street musicians and artists' models all plying their assorted trades. Work is a subject that is both worldwide and personal. It is a shared endeavor at the very core of our identity. From the glamour of a Parisian fashion show to the grit of an African diamond mine, there are countless ways to make a living. With a mix of the utterly unexpected and the instantly familiar, this panorama takes an essential human activity and shows us myriad ways in which work is at once universal and delightfully, unforgettably unique.--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,484,478 books! | Top bar: Always visible