The Incredible Shrinking Man by Richard…

The Incredible Shrinking Man

by Richard Matheson

Other authors: Donato Giancola (Cover artist)

English (9)  Spanish (1)  All languages (10)
The Incredible Shrinking Man: A beautiful psychological study of masculinity

Every day Scott Carey is getting shorter by 1/7 of an inch. The doctors have figured out why — he was exposed to a combination of insecticide and radioactivity — but so far they have not been able to make him stop shrinking. Now Scott is only one inch tall and he is trapped in the cellar of his family’s rented home with a stale piece of bread, an out-of-reach box of crackers, a sponge, a garden hose, a water heater, and a black widow spider. And in seven more days, he’ll be gone.

Well, that’s enough to make many readers want to hear Scott’s story. How did he get in the cellar? Why didn’t he prepare for this since he had plenty of time? Where is his wife and daughter? Will the therapies reverse the shrinkage? Will the spider get him?

Readers who are expecting a horror-adventure story will be pleased with Richard Matheson’s ... Read More: http://www.fantasyliterature.com/reviews/the-incredible-shrinking-man/ ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
I searched for 3 years to find this book in used book stores. I was 10 years old when I saw the 1957 movie and was so smitten that I still remember scenes from that movie. They were all there in the book but I hated the way it was written. You started (first page aside) in the middle and flashed forward/backward sometimes within a single long paragraph. There was no continuity though all the pieces were there.

In addition to this story there were a half dozen short stories but they did not appeal to me much. I gave it 3 stars as it is a great story but written as it was in such a broken fashion spoiled it for me otherwise I would have added another star. ( )
  Lynxear | Jan 2, 2014 |
I was inspired to read this by the recent death of the author. Despite the title and imagery of a 50s B movie, the book is actually very dark, dealing with the physical, psychological, emotional and even (albeit obliquely by modern standards) sexual implications of Scott Carey's shrinking. The novel starts when he is already less than an inch tall, and then flashes back in episodes to incidents at his differing heights over the previous months (he shrinks at the rate of one seventh of an inch each day). I found this disjointed narrative slightly annoying and I would have welcomed a bit more about his progressive problems as he diminished in size and just a bit less about battles with spiders and retrieving pieces of mouldy crackers, though the descriptions of the latter were atmospheric and gave a strong idea of the struggles Scott goes through to sustain life. The narrative lines converged poignantly in the end with a slightly more upbeat ending than I had expected. Much of the dialogue I thought was rather stilted, though.

This book also included nine of the author's short stories, including: the memorable Nightmare at 20,000 Feet, about a monster on the wing of a plane, which was twice made into a Twilight Zone episode; Duel, about a car driver being terrorised by a lorry tanker driver, and which was made into a film directed by the young Spielberg; and a number of other stories with funny twists, some based on the theme "be careful what you wish for, you may get it". ( )
1 vote john257hopper | Jun 29, 2013 |
Oh, Richard. What is there to say about this? It's cotton-candy pulp, stock gary stu reader avatars and objectifiable women (one of them fifteen, which was pretty gross) and zany pseudosciency happenings and the occasional gem of critical reflection, in this case re: American masculinity and its ideals. I can roll my eyes at Matheson forever, but I can never hate him, because for everything he does that makes me cringe he occasionally hits on something poignant and timeless. Everything else is dated, of course, and hilariously so. ( )
  okrysmastree | Feb 5, 2012 |

Richard Mathesonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Giancola, DonatoCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This is a collection of the following stories: The Incredible Shrinking Man; Nightmare at 20,000 Feet; The Test; The Holiday Man; Mantage; The Distributor; By Appointment Only; Button, Button; Duel; Shoofly.

Please do not combine with different collections or with the stand-alone novel.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312856644, Paperback)

Some people will remember The Incredible Shrinking Man as a movie with great special effects and a surprisingly good script, given the ridiculous title. Matheson's classic novella is the reason for that. As Scott Carey -- husband, father, and all-around decent guy -- mysteriously shrinks, he faces unimagined horrors at every step, up to the story's surprising resolution. It's packaged here with a number of Matheson's other classic stories, including "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet," which became a popular Twilight Zone episode, and "Duel," which was turned into a movie by a very young Steven Spielberg.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:13 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,911,232 books! | Top bar: Always visible