Happily Ali After: And Other Fairly True…

Happily Ali After: And Other Fairly True Tales (edition 2015)

by Ali Wentworth

Member:SigPubLib
Title:Happily Ali After: And Other Fairly True Tales
Authors:Ali Wentworth
Info:HarperCollins Publishers and Blackstone Audio (2015), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD, 1 pages

Happily Ali After and Other Fairly True Tales by Ali Wentworth

Ali Wentworth has loosely collated a collection of stories about her life that are sometimes kind of amusing. Mostly, she comes off as spoiled and irritating instead of "hilarious" as the blurbers promise. Honestly, I don't know or care about Ali at all, and only read it because it was our book club selection for the month. I really like the lady who picked it, so I'm not looking forward to having to express my dislike of it at the meeting this week. :( ( )
  EmScape | Aug 14, 2018 |
Very funny anecdotes from her life on various topics including family, parenting and her hubby (George Stephanopoulos). And she probably saved a few pages by not mentioning him by name. ( )
  jwood652 | Oct 21, 2015 |
  jwood652 | Oct 21, 2015 |
Mildly humorous tales by a slightly self-deprecating somewhat celebrity. Difficult to relate to someone privileged enough to jet set to Iceland and Spain (complain about both places) and whine that her parents never took her to Disneyland or any other tacky theme park. ( )
  viviennestrauss | Oct 3, 2015 |
I read Ali Wentworth's first memoir Ali in Wonderland that hilariously dealt with her years trying to make it as an actress in Hollywood. Her very funny voice shone through each page. In her new book, Happily Ali After, Wentworth shares her adventures as a wife (to ABC newsman George Stephanopoulis) and mom to two young daughters.

I loved this Happily Ever After even more than Ali in Wonderland, probably because I can relate more to Ali the wife and mom than Ali the struggling actress. She tells great stories about trying to stay young-looking, her husband's poor driving, and her daughter's sex-education questions.

One of the stories that I most loved involved a trip the family had planned to Spain. Ali was in charge of making all the preparations, and when they got to the airport to take a late-night flight, they were told that the girls' passports had expired and they were going nowhere that night.

George was furious at Ali, and the girls went back and forth from one parent to the other asking if they were going to get a divorce. The car ride home was uncomfortable, and when they got home, Ali told George how so very sorry she was. As they lay in bed, he kissed her and told her he knew she she was sorry and that it was OK. Every couple has had that potentially huge fight, and could relate to this big oopsy that Ali committed.

Ali's story of a girl's weekend at a friend's California home with a psychic as entertainment was hilarious too. We all have our girlfriends, and her description of that party had me guffawing.

Reading Happily Ali After is like sitting in your funniest girlfriend's kitchen and listening to her crazy stories about her husband, her family, her job, her life. If I ever see her on the streets of NYC, I will invite her over for a glass of wine just to hear her stories. ( )
  bookchickdi | Jul 29, 2015 |
To all my girlfriends...
I'm forty-nine years old.

The actress, comedian, media darling, and New York Times bestselling author picks up where she left off in Ali in Wonderland, dissecting modern life—and this time, on a mission of self-improvement—in a series of laugh-out-loud comic vignettes.

Moved by a particularly inspirational tweet one day, Ali Wentworth resolves to live by the pithy maxims she discovers in her feeds. What begins as a sort of self-help project quickly turns into something far grander—and increasingly funnier—as the tweets she once viewed with irony become filled with increasing metaphysical importance. And thus begins her “Unhappiness Project.”

It’s not long before Ali expands her self-improvement quest to include parenting, relationship, fitness (or lack thereof), and dieting advice. The results are painfully (at times literally) clear: when it comes to self-help, sometimes you should leave it to the professionals.

At once endearing and hilarious, thoughtful and absurd, Happily Ali After is a thoroughly entertaining collection from “the girlfriend you want to have a glass of wine with, the one who makes you laugh because she sees the funny and the absurd in everything” (Huffington Post).

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 14 Apr 2015 01:15:34 -0400)

The actress, comedian, media darling, and New York Times bestselling author picks up where she left off in Ali in Wonderland, dissecting modern life--and this time, on a mission of self-improvement--in a series of laugh-out-loud comic vignettes.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,993,984 books! | Top bar: Always visible