NeuroTribes: The Legacy of Autism and How to…

NeuroTribes: The Legacy of Autism and How to Think Smarter About People… (original 2015; edition 2017)

by Steve Silberman (Author), Oliver Sacks (Contributor)

"A groundbreaking book that upends conventional thinking about autism and suggests a broader model for acceptance, understanding, and full participation in society for people who think differently. What is autism: a devastating developmental disorder, a lifelong disability, or a naturally occurring form of cognitive difference akin to certain forms of genius? In truth, it is all of these things and more--and the future of our society depends on our understanding it. WIRED reporter Steve Silberman unearths the secret history of autism, long suppressed by the same clinicians who became famous for discovering it, and finds surprising answers to the crucial question of why the number of diagnoses has soared in recent years. Going back to the earliest days of autism research and chronicling the brave and lonely journey of autistic people and their families through the decades, Silberman provides long-sought solutions to the autism puzzle, while mapping out a path for our society toward a more humane world in which people with learning differences and those who love them have access to the resources they need to live happier, healthier, more secure, and more meaningful lives. Along the way, he reveals the untold story of Hans Asperger, the father of Asperger's syndrome, whose "little professors" were targeted by the darkest social-engineering experiment in human history; exposes the covert campaign by child psychiatrist Leo Kanner to suppress knowledge of the autism spectrum for fifty years; and casts light on the growing movement of "neurodiversity" activists seeking respect, support, technological innovation, accommodations in the workplace and in education, and the right to self-determination for those with cognitive differences"-- "A groundbreaking book that upends conventional thinking about autism and suggests a broader model for acceptance, understanding, and full participation in society for people who think differently"--… (more)
Member:AlexDraven
Title:NeuroTribes: The Legacy of Autism and How to Think Smarter About People Who Think Differently
Authors:Steve Silberman (Author)
Other authors:Oliver Sacks (Contributor)
Info:Allen & Unwin (2017), Edition: Main, 562 pages

NeuroTribes: The Legacy of Autism and the Future of Neurodiversity by Steve Silberman (2015)

History of autism diagnosis, research, treatment of kids and their families. Exploring growing movement of valuing neurodiversity ( )
  AccyP | Nov 11, 2019 |
A strikingly compassionate and considered history of autism. Long as it was, there is a lot this book left unexplored: namely around how different cultures might have considered this neurosocial profile. Also a limited discussion of how differently African American, immigrant, or low income autistic kids and adults are seen and treated than kids and adults with access to money and resources. Still, went into incredible depth, slowly building a picture of how, with adequate resources and peer support, and a strengths-based focus, we can have a world more welcoming to autistic people and their families.
  Latkes | Jul 16, 2019 |
NeuroTribes gives a detailed account of the history of Autism and how the research was influenced by public opinion on autistic people. Interesting book if you want to know the history of autism from misdiagnosis, how it became it's own disorder, belief of causes, treatment, and stigmatization through time. It's well written and reads smoothly, but it is a long book. Would of liked to see more science and hopes for the future. Overall a good introduction to autism, especially for people who don't really have experience with someone with autism, can teach you a lot! ( )
  wellreadcatlady | Oct 4, 2018 |
I wish above everything else that this book had been around 12 years ago when my kids were diagnosed six months apart. So much heartache and confusion could have been spared because I would have had a much better context in which to understand autism. It kills me to know that my decision to cast aside convention, to quietly abstain from the procedures recommended by specialists, was not wrong. I could have had the confidence to openly object to the idea that my kids are broken and must be cured, that they must conform in order to find acceptance. I also would have made a whole lot more noise had I felt like I wasn't alone in my stance.

Neurotribes is the first book all people should read when it comes to learning about autism. Steve Silberman spent *years* researching and interviewing historians, scientists, and doctors, but also spoke with families and autistic people alike, to uncover the history of autism. Even though it is densely packed with information, Neurotribes has a comfortable narrative to follow--I used a combo of audio and text to read the book in about a month. ( )
  taraWritesSci | Mar 31, 2018 |
Exhaustive important book on the topic. Critically important if you want a depthful understanding. However, I'm just a tourist who wants conscise explanations and not to know the minutiae of what some obscure pioneer of autism was up to 70 years ago. For those who just want a pendantic grasp, Temple Grandin is very informative but somewhat more concise.
  rosechimera | Mar 16, 2018 |
(Actually an excerpt from the book, not a review.)

By autistic standards, the “normal” brain is easily distractible, is obsessively social, and suffers from a deficit of attention to detail and routine. Thus people on the spectrum experience the neurotypical world as relentlessly unpredictable and chaotic, perpetually turned up too loud and full of people who have little respect for personal space.
added by elenchus | editslate.com, Steve Silberman (Sep 23, 2015)

Steve Silbermanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sacks, OliverForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cavanaugh, MeighanDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ho, AndreaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weaver, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Keith Karraker
Foreword
BY OLIVER SACKS
I first met Steve Silberman in 2001. He was a young journalist then, assigned to do a profile of me before the publication of my memoir Uncle Tungsten.
Introduction:
Beyond the Geek Syndrome

There is more than one way to do it.
-- Larry Wall

On a bright May morning in 2000, I was standing on the deck of a ship churning toward Alaska's Inside Passage with more than a hundred computer programmers.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Steve Silberman's book NeuroTribes was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,165,305 books! | Top bar: Always visible