The One You Want (Original Heartbreakers) by…

The One You Want (Original Heartbreakers) (edition 2015)

by Gena Showalter (Author)

Member:Pelusa41
Title:The One You Want (Original Heartbreakers)
Authors:Gena Showalter (Author)
Info:HQN Books (2015), 114 pages
Rating:***

The One You Want by Gena Showalter

I had read this before, but decided to read it again. I liked Kenna, and felt sorry for her because she got treated like dirt and did not deserve it, I am glad that she finally ended up getting some happiness. Then there is Dane, who could not figure out what he wanted, yes he wanted Kenna, but on his terms, he finally realized that she was the best thing that could happen to him and wised up. ( )
  Pelusa41 | Sep 25, 2017 |
"4 out of 5 stars! Childhood acquaintances, because of their parents’ longtime affair, Dane & Kenna (Freckles) find that they have a stronger connection to one another then they would have expected once they meet again years later. However, will their budding relationship be able to withstand small town gossip, their parents’ remarks, and the distance that is already between them?

As I was already, a fan of Ms. Showalter before I read this novella it was hard not to enjoy it. So, I wasn't surprised that Dane, Kenna, and their story quickly enraptured me."

Read more of this review and TWO teasers here: http://frommetoyouvideophoto.blogspot.com/2015/03/feasted-on-original-heartbreak... ( )
  fromjesstoyou | Mar 21, 2016 |
The One you Want by Gena Showalter is a 2015 Harlequin publication.

I snapped this one up for free in the kindle store without even reading the synopsis. I couldn't believe there was a book by this mega popular author for free!

Well, it would seem this is a novella, one of those prequels which is designed to launch a new series. I was curious since this is most definitely not the genre most people know this author from. No paranormal elements here. This is contemporary romance featuring rich bad boy Dane and struggling single mom, Kenna.

Dane and Kenna knew each other as children but were put in a most awkward position when it came to light Kenna's mom was having an affair with Dane's father. Harsh words were spoken, but the two never crossed paths again... until now.

We all know this author from her paranormal series and so when an author tries on a different hat it may meet with mixed results or feelings. I'm sure she will receive a few harsh critiques , but she is brave for taking the risk anyway.

The thing with this novella is that perhaps it was just too ambitious. There were too many big issues at play and not enough time to address them all fully. But, I did appreciate the effort being made to bring attention to the plight of young women who found themselves raising children alone, the stigma they are still met with, the difficulty involved in trying to better oneself with work and education, and if the single mom wants to date... well, there are many men who are not keen on dating women who have children.

Although, the story is uneven at times, there were several things that really impressed me about it.

“Sex had to mean something, not just to her but to the man she was trusting with her body and her reputation. And okay, yes, that made her an oddity in today's society, but she didn't care.”

Yes... this! This is what I wish more romance novels would create with their characters. Too often these days romance novels feel more like 'hook up' novels to me with no emotions, feelings. or self respect on either side, and I loathe that HFN ending.

With all the issues on Kenna's plate, it's Dane's issues that the couple will have to overcome so his character is the one we see develop the most. He is angry, feels enormous guilt, and is terrified of commitment.

Naturally, Kenna has to be the mature party, standing up for herself and making the hard choices, which in turn forces Dane to make some hard choices too. But, what I liked about this was not just that Kenna did the right thing, no matter how painful it was, but it gave our hero the wake up call he needed and he manned up. He got his crap together and went after his woman and showed her what he was made of. I loved that!! And.... there was a HEA! ( )
  gpangel | Aug 2, 2015 |
The One You Want

The Characters

Dane Michaelson
Kenna Starr
Norrie Starr

The Story

I loved this. It was so cute and entertaining and sexy. Dane is… intense, but I think he will be oh so good to Kenna. Kenna is so strong and loving. And little Norrie blows me away. She’s hilarious. I would have like to see them interact more as a family. Perhaps we’ll get some cameos in the upcoming books.

A great start to this new series.

The Random Thoughts

I was hoping the next book would be about West.

4.5 Stars ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Mar 9, 2015 |

From Amazon.com

Rich, powerful and utterly untamable, Dane Michaelson is every woman's darkest fantasy. When he returns to his hometown to witness his father's upcoming nuptials, he is unprepared for the redheaded beauty soon to become his stepsister. He's never wanted anyone more.

Kenna Starr has no desire to join the long list of women on rotation in Dane's bedroom. The single mom learned the hard way—bad boys do bad things, and someone always gets hurt. But Dane isn't fighting fair. With every heated look, stolen kiss and illicit caress, he melts her defenses.

Soon, the girl with the rep and the man who claims to be heartless are locked in a passionate affair. But when trouble arises, will they stand together or fall apart?

New York Times bestselling author Gena Showalter introduces the Original Heartbreakers--about sexy bad boys each meeting their match--with a special prequel novella! In small-town Oklahoma, reputation is everything, and Kenna Starr will do anything to overcome hers. The supposed bad girl is determined to walk the straight and narrow, a seemingly impossible task when Tall, Dark and Sexy shows up... Rich and powerful, Dane Michaelson is every woman's dream. When he returns to Strawberry Valley after a sixteen-year absence, he is unprepared for the redheaded girl he's never been able to forget. She's all woman now--and he's never wanted anyone more. But to have her, he'll have to break through her defenses...and surrender his own. Look for the next books in the Original Heartbreakers-- The Closer You Come, The Hotter You Burn and The Harder You Fall --from HQN Books!… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,142,925 books! | Top bar: Always visible