Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

Because of Winn-Dixie

by Kate DiCamillo

English (342)  Japanese (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (345)
Summary: Abandoned by her mother years ago, Opal, a 10-year-old girl, moves with her preacher father to a small town in Florida. Lonely and missing her old friends, Opal is ecstatic to find companionship with a rambunctious little dog she names Winn-Dixie, after the store where she found the pup. With Winn-Dixie's help, Opal befriends several colorful townsfolk and even begins mending her relationship with her father.

Personal Reaction: I love this story because it teaches us about the bond a person can have with something that doesn't speak the same language as us such as a dog.

Extension Ideas: 1. We will talk about in our science time other animals that are used to help people such as service dogs or just animals without training that have instincts to rescue. 2. We will do a literature circle to discuss the book.
  Kelsie_Murphy | Nov 28, 2015 |
This is a sad story. It is because of Winn Dixie that Opal is able to cope with her mother leaving and the depression of her father. I am sure this story can teach kids that there are other coping mechanisms that can go behind dealing with anger and frustrations with family members.
  ninaberger | Nov 16, 2015 |
Great book for upper elementary students. Teaches valuable lessons thought the entire book. ( )
  Blaire_Stewart | Nov 16, 2015 |
The summer Opal and her father, the preacher, move to Naomi, Florida, Opal goes into the Winn-Dixie supermarket--and comes out with a dog. A big, ugly, suffering dog with a sterling sense of humor. A dog she dubs Winn-Dixie. Because of Winn-Dixie, the preacher tells Opal ten things about her absent mother, one for each year Opal has been alive. Winn-Dixie is better at making friends than anyone Opal has ever known, and together they meet the local librarian, Miss Franny Block, who once fought off a bear with a copy of War and Peace. They meet Gloria Dump, who is nearly blind but sees with her heart, and Otis, an ex-con who sets the animals in his pet shop loose after hours, then lulls them with his guitar.
  sdg292 | Nov 15, 2015 |
It is about a girl named Opal that was abandoned by her mother and moves with her preacher father to a small town in Florida. She finds dog at the Winn-Dixie and names the dog after the store and they become best friends. ( )
  ma839 | Nov 7, 2015 |

Kate DiCamilloprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bliss, HarryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Tracey and Beck because they listened first
My Name is India Opal Buloni, last summer my daddy, the preacher, sent me to the store for a box of macaroni-and-cheese, some white rice, and two tomatoes and I came back with a dog.
“…But in the meantime, you got to remember, you can’t always judge people by the things they done. You got to judge them by what they are doing now.”
“What truth?” I asked her.

“Why, that war is hell,” Miss Franny said with her eyes still closed. “Pure hell.”

Hell is a cuss word,” said Amanda. I stole a look at her. Her face was pinched up even more than usual.

War,” said Miss Franny with her eyes still closed, “should be a cuss word, too.”
I didn’t go to sleep right away. I lay there and thought how life was like a Littmus Lozenge, how the sweet and the sad were all mixed up together and how hard it was to separate them out. It was confusing.
“There ain’t no way you can hold on to something that wants to go, you understand? You can only love what you got while you got it.”
Thinking about her was the same as the hole you keep on feeling with your tongue after you lose a tooth.

Because of Winn Dixie by Kate Dicamillio is mostly about friendship and compassion. Opal is close to being a preteen girl living with her father. She takes in this uncared for dog who changes her life forever. She meets unusaul people who become her best friends in life.She is soon to find that one little thunder storm will change her outlook on life.-Autumn Taylor

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763616052, Paperback)

Because of Winn-Dixie, a big, ugly, happy dog, 10-year-old Opal learns 10 things about her long-gone mother from her preacher father. Because of Winn-Dixie, Opal makes new friends among the somewhat unusual residents of her new hometown, Naomi, Florida. Because of Winn-Dixie, Opal begins to find her place in the world and let go of some of the sadness left by her mother's abandonment seven years earlier.

With her newly adopted, goofy pooch at her side, Opal explores her bittersweet world and learns to listen to other people's lives. This warm and winning book hosts an unforgettable cast of characters, including a librarian who fought off a bear with a copy of War and Peace, an ex-con pet-store clerk who plays sweet music to his animal charges, and the neighborhood "witch," a nearly blind woman who sees with her heart. Part Frankie (The Member of the Wedding), part Scout (To Kill a Mockingbird), Opal brings her own unique and wonderful voice to a story of friendship, loneliness, and acceptance. Opal's down-home charm and dead-on honesty will earn her friends and fans far beyond the confines of Naomi, Florida. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:57 -0400)

Ten-year-old India Opal Buloni describes her first summer in the town of Naomi, Florida, and all the good things that happen to her because of her big ugly dog Winn-Dixie.

Candlewick Press

7 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763607762, 0763625582, 0763628441, 0763625574, 0763644323, 0763651850, 0763650072

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,852,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible