Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

Because of Winn-Dixie

by Kate DiCamillo

English (298)  Japanese (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (301)
This is one of my all time favorite books. I love the realism that Kate added to her characters within this book. She made the characters likable and resemble realistic people. Even though this story was completely fictional, Kate made it seem as if it happened. It took me on an emotional roller coaster, and I cried my eyes out when Winn- Dixie disappears when the storm comes. Many children reading this will be able to relate to Opal's fear of losing her dog, because as a child your pets are usually your closest friends, just like Opal and Winn- Dixie are throughout the story. ( )
  kcrous3 | Oct 22, 2014 |
In this story the main character Opal and her father move to a new town in florida and Opal finds a dog, she names him Winn-Dixie. This story is about their relationship and how Winn-Dixie shapes Opal and her father into better people and a better family.
This is a great book for students to read; it has many lessons and is very relatable.
I would gear this book towards around fifth grade and up. For the students who can read on their own and are maybe facing some of the same challenges Opal is.
  alyssasookdeo | Oct 21, 2014 |
Summary:Story centers around Opal a young girl that just moved to a trailer park in Florida with her father. She ask her father to list ten things about her mother that she did not know because she abandoned them. She claims that a lost dog that is destroying the supermarket is hers, and she names it Winn-Dixie. She gets a job cleaning windows at a pet store to buy Winn-Dixie a dog collar.

Personal:The book makes you appreciate many things. Even though life could sometimes have sadness there is a lot of things to appreciate, even the very small things. After the book I had a separate out look of life.

classroom extensions: 1)Students could create a scrapbook featuring characters from the book. 2)Listen and read along to slideshows narrated by the author.
  pambam_11 | Oct 17, 2014 |
This is a classic! This book is an attention grabber and holder. Who would've ever imagined that a dog could ever become a little girl's best friend. Not to mention, that this dog was found in a Winn Dixie grocery store and named after the store. I guess anything is possible.The characters in the story help to bring the theme, friendship, into full focus. At the beginning of the story Opal, has just moved to a new city in Florida, and doesn't have one friend. By the end of the story Opal will have met some of the most interesting people you would ever want to meet. ( )
  SalleyGirl1 | Oct 4, 2014 |
Whenever I hear the word "melancholy" I think of Because of Winn-Dixie. My second grade teacher started reading this book to the class one day and, true to form, I couldn't wait for her chapter-a-day method and badgered my mother into buying it for me from Borders. I suppose this sounds pretty rife with nostalgia already, doesn't it?

Winn-Dixie isn't a life-changing book how he's a life-changing dog. Maybe I still have that tattered, sticky-fingerprinted copy because I had a dog named Dixie once, and who doesn't love their first dog? Regardless, it's a great story, and I do believe this was the first instance of me being wildly upset about a book being so different from its movie. It was also the beginning of my eternal annoyance at everyone for the next ten years calling my dog Winn-Dixie instead of Dixie.

Books are best when you can draw a personal connection to them, and the books you read as a kid are special because they're the first. You read them before you're exposed to Really Bad Books and Really Great Books and get cynical or pretentious and the whole literary world is fresh and wonderful and new. Good books are just good books, and they stick to your heart - and sometimes the pages stick to each other and stick to your shelf, too. ( )
  strongasanoak | Sep 25, 2014 |

Kate DiCamilloprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bliss, HarryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Tracey and Beck because they listened first
My Name is India Opal Buloni, last summer my daddy, the preacher, sent me to the store for a box of macaroni-and-cheese, some white rice, and two tomatoes and I came back with a dog.
“…But in the meantime, you got to remember, you can’t always judge people by the things they done. You got to judge them by what they are doing now.”
“What truth?” I asked her.

“Why, that war is hell,” Miss Franny said with her eyes still closed. “Pure hell.”

Hell is a cuss word,” said Amanda. I stole a look at her. Her face was pinched up even more than usual.

War,” said Miss Franny with her eyes still closed, “should be a cuss word, too.”
I didn’t go to sleep right away. I lay there and thought how life was like a Littmus Lozenge, how the sweet and the sad were all mixed up together and how hard it was to separate them out. It was confusing.
“There ain’t no way you can hold on to something that wants to go, you understand? You can only love what you got while you got it.”
Thinking about her was the same as the hole you keep on feeling with your tongue after you lose a tooth.

Because of Winn Dixie by Kate Dicamillio is mostly about friendship and compassion. Opal is close to being a preteen girl living with her father. She takes in this uncared for dog who changes her life forever. She meets unusaul people who become her best friends in life.She is soon to find that one little thunder storm will change her outlook on life.-Autumn Taylor

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763616052, Paperback)

Because of Winn-Dixie, a big, ugly, happy dog, 10-year-old Opal learns 10 things about her long-gone mother from her preacher father. Because of Winn-Dixie, Opal makes new friends among the somewhat unusual residents of her new hometown, Naomi, Florida. Because of Winn-Dixie, Opal begins to find her place in the world and let go of some of the sadness left by her mother's abandonment seven years earlier.

With her newly adopted, goofy pooch at her side, Opal explores her bittersweet world and learns to listen to other people's lives. This warm and winning book hosts an unforgettable cast of characters, including a librarian who fought off a bear with a copy of War and Peace, an ex-con pet-store clerk who plays sweet music to his animal charges, and the neighborhood "witch," a nearly blind woman who sees with her heart. Part Frankie (The Member of the Wedding), part Scout (To Kill a Mockingbird), Opal brings her own unique and wonderful voice to a story of friendship, loneliness, and acceptance. Opal's down-home charm and dead-on honesty will earn her friends and fans far beyond the confines of Naomi, Florida. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:14 -0400)

Ten-year-old India Opal Buloni describes her first summer in the town of Naomi, Florida, and all the good things that happen to her because of her big ugly dog Winn-Dixie.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Candlewick Press

Seven editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763607762, 0763625582, 0763628441, 0763625574, 0763644323, 0763651850, 0763650072

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,484,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible