Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

Because of Winn-Dixie

by Kate DiCamillo

English (353)  Japanese (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (356)
Because of Winn Dixie is about a little girl and her dad moving to Florida during the summer. Opal didn't have many friends when she first moved there. While she was at a supermarket, she found a raggedy looking dog. The two become the best of friends. Opal named the dog Winn Dixie after where she found him. This book tells a story about loyalty and friendship between a human and dog. I think it would be a really good book for children in fourth grade. ( )
  KelseyJohnson | Apr 11, 2016 |
I have read quite a few of Kate DiCamillo books, which is why I choose her for my author study. I surprisingly had not read one of her more famous books, because of Winn-Dixie. I loved this book and thought it was really beautiful. It is about a young girl Opal, who moves to Florida with her preacher father and adopts a dog. She names him Winn-Dixie after the market where she found him. She talks to him about everything, her dead mother, and because of Winn-Dixie, she makes a few unusual friends.
Genre: Fiction
Uses: This is a great chapter book that can help your students appreciate reading as they fall in love with this book. It can also be used as a writing prompt. You can have your students write about a pet or animal that has impacted their lives. ( )
  epatt14 | Apr 3, 2016 |
Summary: It is a about a girl that moves to Florida with her father. The little girl is very lonely because she does not get along to well with her father. She was at the market called Winn-Dixie when she saw a dog who was about to get in trouble for wrecking the things so the girl claimed the dog was hers to keep the dog from getting into trouble. The little girl named the dog Winn-Dixie. Winn-Dixie becomes friends with everyone she encounters and that gives India a new outlook on adults. Winn-Dixie and India bring all the odd neighbors together to be friends. They were planning a party when a thunderstorm hit scaring Winn-Dixie away. The little girl and her father went looking for the dog bringing them closer together.

My reaction: I love this book because I love dogs and the things they can do. It is a sad book and made me cry but I like books that I can connect with and this is a book I can connect with.

Classroom:
1. I would have them talk about one of their animals and the connection they have with it and if it is the same as Winn-Dixie and India have.
2. We would then make a Winn-Dixie and they can decorate it however they would want too.
  aensley | Mar 23, 2016 |
This book is about a 10-year-old girl named Opal who finds a dog in a grocery store. She names him Winn-Dixie after the store. The preacher, Opal's dad, approves of Winn-Dixie and Opal gets to keep him. Opal's mom abandoned her when she was little. Because of Winn-Dixie, Opal meets many new people. What adventures will they go on together?
I liked this book because of the vivid description and all the funny things Winn-Dixie does. I recommend this book to people who have a sense of humor. ( )
  ditani | Mar 20, 2016 |
I would recommend this book for a fourth or fifth grade English classroom when read as a group or independently. This book could be used to teach about different literary elements such as point of view, characters, setting, plot, etc. While reading this book, I would have students focus on key vocabulary words that will help further their understanding of the text. I would also have students make predictions and make connections to their lives and to the literary devices used throughout the book. After reading the book, I would have students make a class scrapbook using the information they gathered about the different literary devices. Each student will choose one character and describe their personality, traits, likes and dislikes, setting, and behavior. Once the students have collected their data, I would have them arrange their information on a pre-constructed scrapbook page, and once all are finished, the class will have a reference of every character in a scrapbook.
  Emily.Clark | Mar 18, 2016 |

Kate DiCamilloprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bliss, HarryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Tracey and Beck because they listened first
My Name is India Opal Buloni, last summer my daddy, the preacher, sent me to the store for a box of macaroni-and-cheese, some white rice, and two tomatoes and I came back with a dog.
“…But in the meantime, you got to remember, you can’t always judge people by the things they done. You got to judge them by what they are doing now.”
“What truth?” I asked her.

“Why, that war is hell,” Miss Franny said with her eyes still closed. “Pure hell.”

Hell is a cuss word,” said Amanda. I stole a look at her. Her face was pinched up even more than usual.

War,” said Miss Franny with her eyes still closed, “should be a cuss word, too.”
I didn’t go to sleep right away. I lay there and thought how life was like a Littmus Lozenge, how the sweet and the sad were all mixed up together and how hard it was to separate them out. It was confusing.
“There ain’t no way you can hold on to something that wants to go, you understand? You can only love what you got while you got it.”
Thinking about her was the same as the hole you keep on feeling with your tongue after you lose a tooth.

Because of Winn Dixie by Kate Dicamillio is mostly about friendship and compassion. Opal is close to being a preteen girl living with her father. She takes in this uncared for dog who changes her life forever. She meets unusaul people who become her best friends in life.She is soon to find that one little thunder storm will change her outlook on life.-Autumn Taylor

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763616052, Paperback)

Because of Winn-Dixie, a big, ugly, happy dog, 10-year-old Opal learns 10 things about her long-gone mother from her preacher father. Because of Winn-Dixie, Opal makes new friends among the somewhat unusual residents of her new hometown, Naomi, Florida. Because of Winn-Dixie, Opal begins to find her place in the world and let go of some of the sadness left by her mother's abandonment seven years earlier.

With her newly adopted, goofy pooch at her side, Opal explores her bittersweet world and learns to listen to other people's lives. This warm and winning book hosts an unforgettable cast of characters, including a librarian who fought off a bear with a copy of War and Peace, an ex-con pet-store clerk who plays sweet music to his animal charges, and the neighborhood "witch," a nearly blind woman who sees with her heart. Part Frankie (The Member of the Wedding), part Scout (To Kill a Mockingbird), Opal brings her own unique and wonderful voice to a story of friendship, loneliness, and acceptance. Opal's down-home charm and dead-on honesty will earn her friends and fans far beyond the confines of Naomi, Florida. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:57 -0400)

Ten-year-old India Opal Buloni describes her first summer in the town of Naomi, Florida, and all the good things that happen to her because of her big ugly dog Winn-Dixie.

Candlewick Press

7 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763607762, 0763625582, 0763628441, 0763625574, 0763644323, 0763651850, 0763650072

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,250,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible