Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

Because of Winn-Dixie

by Kate DiCamillo

English (417)  Japanese (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All (420)
Summary: This is a story about a young girl and her dog, Winn-Dixie. The dog becomes her best friend and follows her throughout the story where she learns a lot about life such as not judging others (because you never know what they've gone through), as well making many friends along the way and coming to the realization that her mama will probably never come back. This is a great story about friendship and life lessons.

Critique of Genre: Realism because it's a story that could happen to anyone. The little girl is 10 years old, lives in Florida with her dad who is a pastor and has a dog named Winn-Dixie. The dog is portrayed as a real dog (doesn't talk).

Age: Primary to Intermediate (probably 3rd grade or higher)

Media: No media (Novel, not a picture book)
  aschoenberg12 | Mar 21, 2017 |
Summary: This book is about a charismatic girl who just uprooted and moved to a new town with her dad, the preacher. She accidentally adopts a dog, Winn-Dixie, when she finds him causing trouble at the local grocery. She spends the summer making new friends, developing relationships and learning life lessons about strength and family and friends.
Criteria: Critique for Genre- Contemporary Realistic Fiction- Winn-Dixie was an almost human presence in the book, smiling and acting as if he had thought processes like a person. It is a common story of a girl misplaced in her world by her mama leaving her and having wonders and doubts about herself. It can be related to by children and adults alike in it's age of wonder and chaos and sadness.
Age: Intermediate 4th-7th grade
Media: Chapter book, no pictures. ( )
  hwestin | Mar 21, 2017 |
This book is about a young girl who is seems wiser than her age. She lives with her single father in a trailer park wondering why her mother abandoned them. She is the misfit of the town with almost no friends. One day she encounters a stray dog who seems to like Opal. They become very attached throughout the summer and Opal believes that because of Winn-Dixie many wonderful things start to happen in her life. This book can be used in fourth to sixth grade. This book can be used to teach plot diagrams and different writing elements like character development, the setting, or theme. ( )
  maria.baltazar | Mar 13, 2017 |
I like this book for several reasons. First I liked the characters in the story. Opal is the preachers daughter who has a kind heart and wants to help others. For example on page 102 it says, "I wondered who comforted her when she heard those bottles knocking together, those ghosts chattering about the things she had done wrong. I wanted to comfort Gloria Dump. And I decided that the best way to do that would be to read her a book, read it to her loud enough to keep the ghosts away." Secondly I like the plot of the story. I like that Winn-Dixie, the dog, is someone who makes everyone happy no matter what is going on. He seems to be one of the main characters mentioned, even though he doesn't speak. For example, on page 37 it says, "I went outside and untied Winn-Dixie and brought him inside, and he sat down beside me and smiled up at the preacher, and the preacher couldn't help it; he smiled back." The big idea of this story is life is better when there's a dog as your best friend, and you surround yourself with good people. ( )
  Jclark36 | Mar 8, 2017 |
Less dark than DiCamillo usually is. No anthropomorphic animals. ( )
  themulhern | Mar 4, 2017 |

Kate DiCamilloprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bliss, HarryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Tracey and Beck because they listened first
My Name is India Opal Buloni, last summer my daddy, the preacher, sent me to the store for a box of macaroni-and-cheese, some white rice, and two tomatoes and I came back with a dog.
“…But in the meantime, you got to remember, you can’t always judge people by the things they done. You got to judge them by what they are doing now.”
“What truth?” I asked her.

“Why, that war is hell,” Miss Franny said with her eyes still closed. “Pure hell.”

Hell is a cuss word,” said Amanda. I stole a look at her. Her face was pinched up even more than usual.

War,” said Miss Franny with her eyes still closed, “should be a cuss word, too.”
I didn’t go to sleep right away. I lay there and thought how life was like a Littmus Lozenge, how the sweet and the sad were all mixed up together and how hard it was to separate them out. It was confusing.
“There ain’t no way you can hold on to something that wants to go, you understand? You can only love what you got while you got it.”
Thinking about her was the same as the hole you keep on feeling with your tongue after you lose a tooth.

Because of Winn Dixie by Kate Dicamillio is mostly about friendship and compassion. Opal is close to being a preteen girl living with her father. She takes in this uncared for dog who changes her life forever. She meets unusaul people who become her best friends in life.She is soon to find that one little thunder storm will change her outlook on life.-Autumn Taylor

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763616052, Paperback)

Because of Winn-Dixie, a big, ugly, happy dog, 10-year-old Opal learns 10 things about her long-gone mother from her preacher father. Because of Winn-Dixie, Opal makes new friends among the somewhat unusual residents of her new hometown, Naomi, Florida. Because of Winn-Dixie, Opal begins to find her place in the world and let go of some of the sadness left by her mother's abandonment seven years earlier.

With her newly adopted, goofy pooch at her side, Opal explores her bittersweet world and learns to listen to other people's lives. This warm and winning book hosts an unforgettable cast of characters, including a librarian who fought off a bear with a copy of War and Peace, an ex-con pet-store clerk who plays sweet music to his animal charges, and the neighborhood "witch," a nearly blind woman who sees with her heart. Part Frankie (The Member of the Wedding), part Scout (To Kill a Mockingbird), Opal brings her own unique and wonderful voice to a story of friendship, loneliness, and acceptance. Opal's down-home charm and dead-on honesty will earn her friends and fans far beyond the confines of Naomi, Florida. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:57 -0400)

Ten-year-old India Opal Buloni describes her first summer in the town of Naomi, Florida, and all the good things that happen to her because of her big ugly dog Winn-Dixie.

Candlewick Press

6 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763607762, 0763625582, 0763625574, 0763644323, 0763651850, 0763650072

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,194,229 books! | Top bar: Always visible