Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

Because of Winn-Dixie

by Kate DiCamillo

English (293)  Japanese (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (296)
Summary
A little girl named Opal has to move to a new town with her daddy "The Preacher". She finds her best friend Winn-Dixie running wild in the Winn-Dixie grocery store(this is how the dog got its name). The dog helps the little girl adjust to the new town and make new friends. Winn-Dixie also is there to listen to Opal when she struggles to make reason of why her mother left.
Personal Reaction
This was my all time favorite book as a kid. I couldn't tell you how many times I read it. I still love this book!
Idea extensions
This book could be use to help children struggling with transition and change.
Today there are too many children with only one parent raising them. This book could help them to relate and understand their situation better.
  christa15 | Jul 15, 2014 |
Opal is 10-years old and finds a dog wreaking havoc in a grocery store in the small town she has just moved to. The dog doesn't look like he's in very good shape, so she feels badly for him and takes him home to see if her dad, a preacher, will let her keep him. The dog, Winn-Dixie, helps Opal make some new friends in town.

This was cute. It wasn't as much about the dog as I'd hoped, and the parts with the dog were my favourite parts, but it was more about Opal making friends in her new town. It was an enjoyable kid's book, and super-fast to read. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jul 8, 2014 |
Newbery Honor Book. Book Sense Book of the Year Winner. Lonely protagonist learns about loss, love, and friendship in this heartwarming story. Richly defined characters. ( )
  root.katy | Jun 9, 2014 |
Opal Buloni goes to the Winn-Dixie store, and comes home with a big scraggly dog she claimed on impulse. Because of this dog, now named Winn-Dixie, she meets her new neighbors in the Florida town she now lives in. Nothing bad happens to the dog. Let me repeat: Nothing bad happens to the dog.
This book is carefully balanced with dark and light. It could so easily have been one of those syrupy, sweet stories with charmingly eccentric townspeople spouting folk wisdom, and the dog bringing everyone together at an ice cream social. But it's not. The town is only a bit twee. Opal's mother left her and her minister father. Gloria, one of the townspeople Opal meets, used to be a drunk.
Still, a magical synergy of some kind brings everyone together as friends. Nothing bad happens to the dog. ( )
  Stsmurphy | Jun 7, 2014 |
I like the gentle nature of this book. Winn-Dixie helps Opal connect with people in her community, who are all hurting in their own way. Most importantly, Opal re-connects with her father, distant since her mother left.
  vsoler | Jun 4, 2014 |

Kate DiCamilloprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bliss, HarryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Tracey and Beck because they listened first
My Name is India Opal Buloni, last summer my daddy, the preacher, sent me to the store for a box of macaroni-and-cheese, some white rice, and two tomatoes and I came back with a dog.
“…But in the meantime, you got to remember, you can’t always judge people by the things they done. You got to judge them by what they are doing now.”
“What truth?” I asked her.

“Why, that war is hell,” Miss Franny said with her eyes still closed. “Pure hell.”

Hell is a cuss word,” said Amanda. I stole a look at her. Her face was pinched up even more than usual.

War,” said Miss Franny with her eyes still closed, “should be a cuss word, too.”
I didn’t go to sleep right away. I lay there and thought how life was like a Littmus Lozenge, how the sweet and the sad were all mixed up together and how hard it was to separate them out. It was confusing.
“There ain’t no way you can hold on to something that wants to go, you understand? You can only love what you got while you got it.”
Thinking about her was the same as the hole you keep on feeling with your tongue after you lose a tooth.

Because of Winn Dixie by Kate Dicamillio is mostly about friendship and compassion. Opal is close to being a preteen girl living with her father. She takes in this uncared for dog who changes her life forever. She meets unusaul people who become her best friends in life.She is soon to find that one little thunder storm will change her outlook on life.-Autumn Taylor

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763616052, Paperback)

Because of Winn-Dixie, a big, ugly, happy dog, 10-year-old Opal learns 10 things about her long-gone mother from her preacher father. Because of Winn-Dixie, Opal makes new friends among the somewhat unusual residents of her new hometown, Naomi, Florida. Because of Winn-Dixie, Opal begins to find her place in the world and let go of some of the sadness left by her mother's abandonment seven years earlier.

With her newly adopted, goofy pooch at her side, Opal explores her bittersweet world and learns to listen to other people's lives. This warm and winning book hosts an unforgettable cast of characters, including a librarian who fought off a bear with a copy of War and Peace, an ex-con pet-store clerk who plays sweet music to his animal charges, and the neighborhood "witch," a nearly blind woman who sees with her heart. Part Frankie (The Member of the Wedding), part Scout (To Kill a Mockingbird), Opal brings her own unique and wonderful voice to a story of friendship, loneliness, and acceptance. Opal's down-home charm and dead-on honesty will earn her friends and fans far beyond the confines of Naomi, Florida. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:14 -0400)

Ten-year-old India Opal Buloni describes her first summer in the town of Naomi, Florida, and all the good things that happen to her because of her big ugly dog Winn-Dixie.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Candlewick Press

Seven editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763607762, 0763625582, 0763628441, 0763625574, 0763644323, 0763651850, 0763650072

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,545,716 books! | Top bar: Always visible