Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

Because of Winn-Dixie

by Kate DiCamillo

English (365)  Japanese (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (368)
Winn - dixie is a book about a girl who moves to a new house. Her parents got divorced when she was little and her dad is a priest. She gets this new dog who was already named a big golden dog. Winn - dixxie helps gloria the girl with many things in life. ( )
  NikhilU14 | May 24, 2016 |
This book is about a girl named Gloria who just moved to a new place with her father who is a priest. Her parents are divorced so that makes things difficult for Gloria. Gloria found a dog named Winn Dixie. Winn Dixie helped Gloria with many things. He helped her get comfortable in her new home and he also helped her make new friends.

I liked this book because I like dogs so much. The author did a good job helping me understand what Gloria was going through. I would recommend this book to people who want an easy, sweet story to read. ( )
  IanF8 | May 22, 2016 |
What a GREAT book! Lamentably short and VERY sweet! Opal and her (unforgettable) Winn-Dixie took on a strong aspect of reality for me . . I came to love them . . then, *poof* they were gone! I so wanted to "engineer" the outcome . . there MUST be a sequel! *sob* ( )
  idajo | May 8, 2016 |
I loved this book because of its intriguing plot and relatable characters. This book deals with mature topics that not all audiences will find appropriate, but I really enjoyed reading about things that were happening in the main character’s life. Opal the young girl, is dealing with hardships between her and her father when Winn-Dixie the dog, comes into her life. Winn-Dixie comforts Opal and with the help of other friends and neighbors, she learns the importance of friendship and coping with difficult situations. Her and Winn-Dixie go on adventures and escape trouble but Opals character grows and grows as the story develops. The main message of this story is that, even in the toughest of times, with the right friends and support you can get through anything. ( )
  gretchencompere | May 1, 2016 |
I would use this book in a 4th grade setting due to its sensitivity to the young character's abandonment of her mother. I would use this book however, to teach personalities and the differences amongst us with character webs. I would use our character webs to list ten unique things that most people would not know about us. I would have my students create their webs into a bookmark and I would laminate them to remind my students that they are always valued and are a unique person that should never degrade themselves to anything less than what they deserve. I would also have my students create one giant character web of our classroom's uniqueness. ( )
  Amanda11 | Apr 11, 2016 |

Kate DiCamilloprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bliss, HarryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Tracey and Beck because they listened first
My Name is India Opal Buloni, last summer my daddy, the preacher, sent me to the store for a box of macaroni-and-cheese, some white rice, and two tomatoes and I came back with a dog.
“…But in the meantime, you got to remember, you can’t always judge people by the things they done. You got to judge them by what they are doing now.”
“What truth?” I asked her.

“Why, that war is hell,” Miss Franny said with her eyes still closed. “Pure hell.”

Hell is a cuss word,” said Amanda. I stole a look at her. Her face was pinched up even more than usual.

War,” said Miss Franny with her eyes still closed, “should be a cuss word, too.”
I didn’t go to sleep right away. I lay there and thought how life was like a Littmus Lozenge, how the sweet and the sad were all mixed up together and how hard it was to separate them out. It was confusing.
“There ain’t no way you can hold on to something that wants to go, you understand? You can only love what you got while you got it.”
Thinking about her was the same as the hole you keep on feeling with your tongue after you lose a tooth.

Because of Winn Dixie by Kate Dicamillio is mostly about friendship and compassion. Opal is close to being a preteen girl living with her father. She takes in this uncared for dog who changes her life forever. She meets unusaul people who become her best friends in life.She is soon to find that one little thunder storm will change her outlook on life.-Autumn Taylor

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763616052, Paperback)

Because of Winn-Dixie, a big, ugly, happy dog, 10-year-old Opal learns 10 things about her long-gone mother from her preacher father. Because of Winn-Dixie, Opal makes new friends among the somewhat unusual residents of her new hometown, Naomi, Florida. Because of Winn-Dixie, Opal begins to find her place in the world and let go of some of the sadness left by her mother's abandonment seven years earlier.

With her newly adopted, goofy pooch at her side, Opal explores her bittersweet world and learns to listen to other people's lives. This warm and winning book hosts an unforgettable cast of characters, including a librarian who fought off a bear with a copy of War and Peace, an ex-con pet-store clerk who plays sweet music to his animal charges, and the neighborhood "witch," a nearly blind woman who sees with her heart. Part Frankie (The Member of the Wedding), part Scout (To Kill a Mockingbird), Opal brings her own unique and wonderful voice to a story of friendship, loneliness, and acceptance. Opal's down-home charm and dead-on honesty will earn her friends and fans far beyond the confines of Naomi, Florida. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:57 -0400)

Ten-year-old India Opal Buloni describes her first summer in the town of Naomi, Florida, and all the good things that happen to her because of her big ugly dog Winn-Dixie.

Candlewick Press

7 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763607762, 0763625582, 0763628441, 0763625574, 0763644323, 0763651850, 0763650072

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,825,051 books! | Top bar: Always visible