dismiss

Because of Winn-Dixie

by Kate DiCamillo

Ten-year-old India Opal Buloni describes her first summer in the town of Naomi, Florida, and all the good things that happen to her because of her big ugly dog Winn-Dixie.

English (503)  Japanese (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (506)
Because of Winn Dixie by Kate DiCamillo is a story of the true companionship between a girl and her dog. The story begins as 10 year old, Opal is living with her father grieving the loss of the mother who recently left them. Opal's father is a preacher and Opal has lots of time to roam Naomi, Fl. the small town they just moved to so her daddy could take a new job at the local church. One day as Opal is shopping at Winn Dixie, a grocery market, Opal sees a stray dog. She has to think fast because this mangy mutt is about to be taken to the pound. She quickly claims the dog as her own, names her Winn-Dixie (very original) and develops friendships with Winn-Dixie, people she meets in town, Ms. Franny, Otis, and Gloria. These new friendships help her to reconnect with her also grieving father, mourn the loss of her mother, and find hope and goodness again in new beginnings.
  kewilliams | Jul 20, 2020 |
Classic storytelling. Beautiful. ( )
  Rachael_SJSU | Jul 11, 2020 |
Lovely short novel about a stray dog and the effect it has on the townspeople after it is adopted by the new Preacher's daughter, Opal. The dog through its antics, helps Opal and her father become friendly with everyone who live in the small Southern town. ( )
  nicsreads | Jun 14, 2020 |
This is one of my favorite books to read aloud. ( )
  Tammyhil | Mar 18, 2020 |
this book is really good and emotiona. I would recommend for you too read this book. ;] ( )
  Damir_Buriyev | Feb 10, 2020 |

Kate DiCamilloprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bliss, HarryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Tracey and Beck because they listened first
My Name is India Opal Buloni, last summer my daddy, the preacher, sent me to the store for a box of macaroni-and-cheese, some white rice, and two tomatoes and I came back with a dog.
“…But in the meantime, you got to remember, you can’t always judge people by the things they done. You got to judge them by what they are doing now.”
“What truth?” I asked her.

“Why, that war is hell,” Miss Franny said with her eyes still closed. “Pure hell.”

Hell is a cuss word,” said Amanda. I stole a look at her. Her face was pinched up even more than usual.

War,” said Miss Franny with her eyes still closed, “should be a cuss word, too.”
I didn’t go to sleep right away. I lay there and thought how life was like a Littmus Lozenge, how the sweet and the sad were all mixed up together and how hard it was to separate them out. It was confusing.
“There ain’t no way you can hold on to something that wants to go, you understand? You can only love what you got while you got it.”
Thinking about her was the same as the hole you keep on feeling with your tongue after you lose a tooth.

Because of Winn Dixie by Kate Dicamillio is mostly about friendship and compassion. Opal is close to being a preteen girl living with her father. She takes in this uncared for dog who changes her life forever. She meets unusaul people who become her best friends in life.She is soon to find that one little thunder storm will change her outlook on life.-Autumn Taylor

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,966,450 books! | Top bar: Always visible