Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

Because of Winn-Dixie

by Kate DiCamillo

English (318)  Japanese (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (321)
Just didn't do a whole lot for me. Maybe 2.5 stars. A little cliched and predictable, a little syrupy. I totally do get why it's popular though and am glad people are reading it. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Because of Winn-Dixie is packed full of story after story illustrating the summer that changed India Opal Buloni's life, the summer she found Winn-Dixie. Opal found Winn-Dixie at the Winn-Dixie grocery store. Opal and her father, the preacher, had just moved to Naomi, Florida, and Opal was lonely. Her dad sent her to the store and she came home with a dog instead, and the preacher decided to keep him. Winn Dixie doesn't like to be left alone, so he goes everywhere with Opal. He goes to Gertrude's Pet store where Opal works in the mornings to pay for a leash and collar for Winn Dixie, to the Open Arms Baptist Church of Naomi where the preacher preaches, and he is even allowed in the library. The book culminates in a party at Gloria Dumps house with all of the friends that Opal has made because of Winn Dixie. A thunderstorm sends the party indoors and Win-Dixie off running. Opal and the preacher go out to search for him, but when they return empty handed, they find him sleeping under Gloria's chair. Opal goes out to Gloria's mistake tree and talks to her mama, who she realizes is never coming back. Dunlop comes out, helps her up and they race back to the house. In the final scene, the group of friends sing a song in honor of Winn Dixie. (Realistic Fiction) ( )
  apoffenroth13 | Apr 14, 2015 |
I have never been to the beautiful state of Florida, but once again Kate DiCamillo captured my attention in the summer months of a small town: Naomi. Opal and her father, the preacher just moved to the town to lead a local Baptist church. The story focuses on Opal’s point of view and internal thoughts as she engages into a new community and meets the locals (or something like that).

Opal’s courageous young heart is a major reason why this book is so enjoyable. With every new friendship she develops in Naomi, Opal is open to seeing beyond the outer flaws and finding the beauty within everyone.

Winn Dixie, Opal’s new and adopted dog, is another reason this book is so delightful. The instant relationship Opal and Winn Dixie share at the market left me grinning from ear to ear. Winn Dixie may have appeared physically worn and “ugly” but she was the start to Opal stepping into the Naomi community. Winn Dixie’s “smile” and encouraging tendencies towards Opal is just another reason to keep reading.

Because of Winn Dixie is a basic day-to-day depiction of Opal’s life. At times it seemed like such writing would be daunting, but in reality it is so rich with honesty. It walks through her overall experience of building friendships with rather unusual people such as the local librarian, a pet shop owner/worker and a random younger girl in town. However, each of the relationships came from their love for Winn Dixie. Having Winn Dixie as a pet stretches Opal outside of her comfort zone.

Kate DiCamillo truly captured my heart as a reader. Her simplistic writing allowed me to feel engaged and create illustrations of the story within my mind. In a world where transitions are common for all people, it inspires me to see with a little encouragement there is beauty in all communities just waiting to be found. There is a treasure cultivated within this story. ( )
  Ebarclift13 | Apr 13, 2015 |
I loved the book Because of Winn-Dixie as I was growing up. I think this book shows the struggling of a young girl who is dealing with the hard truth of her mothers abandonment. She takes on the responsibility of taking care of a dog in a new town with her Father. Ultimately this dog allows her to break out of her turmoil and open herself up to new possibilities. This involves her reconnecting with her father, making new friends, and learning valuable lessons. Because of Winn-Dixie is a wonderful novel that helps young readers see the importance of the people we hold near and dear to hearts. It shows that the love of friends and family can help us overcome any obstacle in our lives. I think the overall message in this book is that no one is alone in this world. I think this is a great story that all readers should read at some point in their lives. ( )
  kabdo1 | Apr 6, 2015 |
Summary of Book: This book is about a little girl named Opal and her father, a preacher. They move to small town where Opal does not know anybody. One day Opal happened to be at a local grocery store and this is where her life changed. She rescued a dog, that caused a lot of trouble in the store. She tries to keep the dog a secret from her dad because she knew the preacher would not let her keep him. Having Winn Dixie in her life, Opal meets new friends and starts to enjoy her life in this new town.

Personal Reaction: This book is heart warming. I can relate because when I was growing up, my dad was in the military. We moved around a lot state side and over seas. It was hard leaving my friends and having to move to new places, and having to start all over again.

Extension Ideas: 1) Have students do a compare and contrast of Opal's life versus their own life.
2) Then have students write about what they would do if they were the new student in school and list some ideas of how they would try to make new friends.
  ah932109 | Mar 20, 2015 |

Kate DiCamilloprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bliss, HarryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Tracey and Beck because they listened first
My Name is India Opal Buloni, last summer my daddy, the preacher, sent me to the store for a box of macaroni-and-cheese, some white rice, and two tomatoes and I came back with a dog.
“…But in the meantime, you got to remember, you can’t always judge people by the things they done. You got to judge them by what they are doing now.”
“What truth?” I asked her.

“Why, that war is hell,” Miss Franny said with her eyes still closed. “Pure hell.”

Hell is a cuss word,” said Amanda. I stole a look at her. Her face was pinched up even more than usual.

War,” said Miss Franny with her eyes still closed, “should be a cuss word, too.”
I didn’t go to sleep right away. I lay there and thought how life was like a Littmus Lozenge, how the sweet and the sad were all mixed up together and how hard it was to separate them out. It was confusing.
“There ain’t no way you can hold on to something that wants to go, you understand? You can only love what you got while you got it.”
Thinking about her was the same as the hole you keep on feeling with your tongue after you lose a tooth.

Because of Winn Dixie by Kate Dicamillio is mostly about friendship and compassion. Opal is close to being a preteen girl living with her father. She takes in this uncared for dog who changes her life forever. She meets unusaul people who become her best friends in life.She is soon to find that one little thunder storm will change her outlook on life.-Autumn Taylor

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763616052, Paperback)

Because of Winn-Dixie, a big, ugly, happy dog, 10-year-old Opal learns 10 things about her long-gone mother from her preacher father. Because of Winn-Dixie, Opal makes new friends among the somewhat unusual residents of her new hometown, Naomi, Florida. Because of Winn-Dixie, Opal begins to find her place in the world and let go of some of the sadness left by her mother's abandonment seven years earlier.

With her newly adopted, goofy pooch at her side, Opal explores her bittersweet world and learns to listen to other people's lives. This warm and winning book hosts an unforgettable cast of characters, including a librarian who fought off a bear with a copy of War and Peace, an ex-con pet-store clerk who plays sweet music to his animal charges, and the neighborhood "witch," a nearly blind woman who sees with her heart. Part Frankie (The Member of the Wedding), part Scout (To Kill a Mockingbird), Opal brings her own unique and wonderful voice to a story of friendship, loneliness, and acceptance. Opal's down-home charm and dead-on honesty will earn her friends and fans far beyond the confines of Naomi, Florida. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:14 -0400)

Ten-year-old India Opal Buloni describes her first summer in the town of Naomi, Florida, and all the good things that happen to her because of her big ugly dog Winn-Dixie.

Candlewick Press

7 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763607762, 0763625582, 0763628441, 0763625574, 0763644323, 0763651850, 0763650072

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,724,316 books! | Top bar: Always visible