Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

Because of Winn-Dixie

by Kate DiCamillo

English (322)  Japanese (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (325)
A story about being abandoned and feeling lost and alone, but finding hope and friendship regardless. Opal finds her friend in a dog that she names Winn Dixie. It is such a cute story about how friends do not have to be other humans, they can simply be those who make us feel good about ourselves and that give us hope from day to day. Because of Winn Dixie, Opal is able to push through her struggles in life and overcome issues with her father. ( )
  lriver5 | May 14, 2015 |
The central message of this story is that good things come in small packages. From the moment Opal claimed the stray dog, she began meeting the most amazing people. Her life would have been completely different if she and Winn Dixie never crossed paths. I liked this books for several reasons. First, I liked the characters in the story. For instance, Winn Dixie’s personality reminds me of a person, and I found that entertaining. He likes peanut butter sandwiches and is afraid of thunder. Just like a human, he has things he loves and hates. The second reason I enjoyed this story is because of the way the author tells the story. The author tells the story using Opal as the narrator. I enjoyed reading about Opal’s thoughts and ideas. The last reason I liked this story was because of the family issues that occurred throughout the story. Opal wanted to learn about her mother, and know why she left. In addition, she wanted her father to move on, and face the idea of her mother not coming back. She encourages him to face his issue rather than run from them. ( )
  Tcochr1 | May 2, 2015 |
Because of Winn Dixie was the first chapter book I read as a child that I actually enjoyed. Because I enjoyed it so much, I read another one of the author's popular books, The Tale of Desperaux. This story is extremely easy fo a lot of children to relate to. It shows us a young girl moving to a new town, whose mother has abandoned her, and she has no friends because of moving. Her dad, the preacher, sends her to the grocery store in this new town, and she comes back with a dog. The dog, Winn Dixie, does not like to be left alone, so Winn Dixie goes everywhere with Opal, the young girl. This story is easy for children to relate to because many children, even adults, have close relationships with their animals, and some, unfortunately, know the pain of parent abandonment. This novel take a pleasant approach to overcoming life obstacles and making the best of any situation. I truly recommend it. ( )
  CRoss13 | Apr 30, 2015 |
This book is about a 10 year old girl's summer in a new town. She describes her adventures and all of the things she gets accomplished because of Winn-Dixie, her dog. I like this book because it shows the precious relationship between a child and her dog, which a lot of children can relate to. I think this book would be good for 3rd grade. ( )
  Hhaddad1 | Apr 29, 2015 |
Just didn't do a whole lot for me. Maybe 2.5 stars. A little cliched and predictable, a little syrupy. I totally do get why it's popular though and am glad people are reading it. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |

Kate DiCamilloprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bliss, HarryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Tracey and Beck because they listened first
My Name is India Opal Buloni, last summer my daddy, the preacher, sent me to the store for a box of macaroni-and-cheese, some white rice, and two tomatoes and I came back with a dog.
“…But in the meantime, you got to remember, you can’t always judge people by the things they done. You got to judge them by what they are doing now.”
“What truth?” I asked her.

“Why, that war is hell,” Miss Franny said with her eyes still closed. “Pure hell.”

Hell is a cuss word,” said Amanda. I stole a look at her. Her face was pinched up even more than usual.

War,” said Miss Franny with her eyes still closed, “should be a cuss word, too.”
I didn’t go to sleep right away. I lay there and thought how life was like a Littmus Lozenge, how the sweet and the sad were all mixed up together and how hard it was to separate them out. It was confusing.
“There ain’t no way you can hold on to something that wants to go, you understand? You can only love what you got while you got it.”
Thinking about her was the same as the hole you keep on feeling with your tongue after you lose a tooth.

Because of Winn Dixie by Kate Dicamillio is mostly about friendship and compassion. Opal is close to being a preteen girl living with her father. She takes in this uncared for dog who changes her life forever. She meets unusaul people who become her best friends in life.She is soon to find that one little thunder storm will change her outlook on life.-Autumn Taylor

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763616052, Paperback)

Because of Winn-Dixie, a big, ugly, happy dog, 10-year-old Opal learns 10 things about her long-gone mother from her preacher father. Because of Winn-Dixie, Opal makes new friends among the somewhat unusual residents of her new hometown, Naomi, Florida. Because of Winn-Dixie, Opal begins to find her place in the world and let go of some of the sadness left by her mother's abandonment seven years earlier.

With her newly adopted, goofy pooch at her side, Opal explores her bittersweet world and learns to listen to other people's lives. This warm and winning book hosts an unforgettable cast of characters, including a librarian who fought off a bear with a copy of War and Peace, an ex-con pet-store clerk who plays sweet music to his animal charges, and the neighborhood "witch," a nearly blind woman who sees with her heart. Part Frankie (The Member of the Wedding), part Scout (To Kill a Mockingbird), Opal brings her own unique and wonderful voice to a story of friendship, loneliness, and acceptance. Opal's down-home charm and dead-on honesty will earn her friends and fans far beyond the confines of Naomi, Florida. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:14 -0400)

Ten-year-old India Opal Buloni describes her first summer in the town of Naomi, Florida, and all the good things that happen to her because of her big ugly dog Winn-Dixie.

Candlewick Press

7 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763607762, 0763625582, 0763628441, 0763625574, 0763644323, 0763651850, 0763650072

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,152,686 books! | Top bar: Always visible