Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

Because of Winn-Dixie

by Kate DiCamillo

6,315None623 (4.16)113
3.9 (27) animals (178) chapter book (124) children (65) children's (151) children's fiction (60) children's literature (90) dog (162) dogs (380) family (144) fiction (420) Florida (121) friends (46) friendship (292) juvenile (47) juvenile fiction (51) Kate DiCamillo (27) kids (30) Level R (28) love (36) movie (39) Newbery (137) Newbery Honor (216) Newbery Medal (38) novel (34) pets (84) read (48) realistic fiction (268) YA (42) young adult (49)

English (284)  Japanese (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (287)
This is one of my all time favorite books and I have read it a thousand times. This book is about a little girl moves into a small town with her father who is a minister. She struggles to make friends her age and one day finds a stray dog in the grocery store. Along the way, her dog helps her make new friendships. This book is wonderful. I love that Opal, the little girl, makes friendships with all sorts of people and learns life lessons with the different friendships she makes. ( )
  BaileyR | Apr 8, 2014 |
Overall this was a good book, but I just could not give it five stars. There was a recurring idea in the book that the brothers Stevie and Dunlap Dewberry pick on Opal just because they have a strange way of trying to be friends with her: "'You tell Stevie you're sorry if you said anything that hurt his feelings. I'm sure he just wants to be your friend...Some people have a strange way of going about making friends.'" I disagree with the idea that boys are allowed to get away with being rude and picking on people because they don't know how to make friends in a nice way. I know that some kids will behave differently than their parents expect them to when they are not around, but someone should tell their mother they are being bullies. One thing I really liked about this book was how morality is addressed and how society laws can be questioned on the basis of what it moral and right. Otis, the man who hires Opal at the pet store, was arrested for playing his guitar in the street after he was told to stop, and hit the officer who arrested him. This was a simple way of showing children reading this book that sometimes people break the rules and don't mean any harm, until they are threatened, as Otis was by being put in handcuffs. The big idea of this book is don't judge a book by its cover. This is conveyed through Opal getting to know Winn-Dixie, who was very dirty when she met him, and Gloria Dump, who was supposedly a witch, and learning about Amanda Wilkinson and why she is so stern all the time. Opal is a good example of how to get to know people--just talk to them. ( )
  lstec2 | Apr 2, 2014 |
India Opal takes in a stray dog she names Winn Dixie, much to the chagrin of her Preacher Father. Because of Winn Dixie she makes new friends, becomes closer to her father, and helps her Dad open up about her Mother.
  deannachambers | Mar 16, 2014 |
This book was a selection for the intergenerational book club that my nine-year old son and I are in together. I really like Southern literature for adults and I found this to be a very charming example of middle-grade Southern fiction. Part of our book club discussion was trying to figure out in what time period the book is set in. Some of us thought the 1950s or 60s while others thought maybe as long ago as the 1920s. That the time period is left vague serves to make this book timeless and one that present day children can relate too as well as children in the future.

The characters in Winn-Dixie were each very well developed, especially considering this book is narrated in first person by a child of around 10 years old. Her narration was authentic for a child of that age and still so descriptive. Each character served to teach Opal some sort of moral lesson but it wasn’t heavy handed or preachy. The ensemble cast of varied characters in a small town reminded me of the Fannie Flagg novels (for grown-ups) I read and she’s one of my favorite authors.

Everyone in the book club agreed that this is a great book.

Side note: We try to have snacks at our meetings that are tied in some way to the book we have read. For the discussion of this book we had a big jar of pickles and a bag of Werther’s Original candy. You’ll have to read the book to find out why! ( )
1 vote mcelhra | Mar 10, 2014 |
This book is about a lonely girl named Opal who befriends a stray dog who created chaos at the local grocery store one day. In large part due to the dog, she makes new friends in a new town where her father is a pastor and a single father raising her, comes to terms with feelings about her mother who abandoned her and her father, and learns to trust and open up. Full of memorable characters and tear-jerking realizations, this book is a must read for any dog lover. This would be a great book for upper level elementary school (5th grade) and up, as it deals with finding one's identity, making new friends, overcoming shyness and social anxiety, and learning how to trust one's self and others. ( )
  inovac13 | Mar 5, 2014 |

Kate DiCamilloprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bliss, HarryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Tracey and Beck because they listened first
My Name is India Opal Buloni, last summer my daddy, the preacher, sent me to the store for a box of macaroni-and-cheese, some white rice, and two tomatoes and I came back with a dog.
“…But in the meantime, you got to remember, you can’t always judge people by the things they done. You got to judge them by what they are doing now.”
“What truth?” I asked her.

“Why, that war is hell,” Miss Franny said with her eyes still closed. “Pure hell.”

Hell is a cuss word,” said Amanda. I stole a look at her. Her face was pinched up even more than usual.

War,” said Miss Franny with her eyes still closed, “should be a cuss word, too.”
I didn’t go to sleep right away. I lay there and thought how life was like a Littmus Lozenge, how the sweet and the sad were all mixed up together and how hard it was to separate them out. It was confusing.
“There ain’t no way you can hold on to something that wants to go, you understand? You can only love what you got while you got it.”
Thinking about her was the same as the hole you keep on feeling with your tongue after you lose a tooth.

Because of Winn Dixie by Kate Dicamillio is mostly about friendship and compassion. Opal is close to being a preteen girl living with her father. She takes in this uncared for dog who changes her life forever. She meets unusaul people who become her best friends in life.She is soon to find that one little thunder storm will change her outlook on life.-Autumn Taylor

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763616052, Paperback)

Because of Winn-Dixie, a big, ugly, happy dog, 10-year-old Opal learns 10 things about her long-gone mother from her preacher father. Because of Winn-Dixie, Opal makes new friends among the somewhat unusual residents of her new hometown, Naomi, Florida. Because of Winn-Dixie, Opal begins to find her place in the world and let go of some of the sadness left by her mother's abandonment seven years earlier.

With her newly adopted, goofy pooch at her side, Opal explores her bittersweet world and learns to listen to other people's lives. This warm and winning book hosts an unforgettable cast of characters, including a librarian who fought off a bear with a copy of War and Peace, an ex-con pet-store clerk who plays sweet music to his animal charges, and the neighborhood "witch," a nearly blind woman who sees with her heart. Part Frankie (The Member of the Wedding), part Scout (To Kill a Mockingbird), Opal brings her own unique and wonderful voice to a story of friendship, loneliness, and acceptance. Opal's down-home charm and dead-on honesty will earn her friends and fans far beyond the confines of Naomi, Florida. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:14 -0400)

Ten-year-old India Opal Buloni describes her first summer in the town of Naomi, Florida, and all the good things that happen to her because of her big ugly dog Winn-Dixie.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Candlewick Press

Seven editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763607762, 0763625582, 0763628441, 0763625574, 0763644323, 0763651850, 0763650072

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,504,766 books! | Top bar: Always visible