Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

Because of Winn-Dixie

by Kate DiCamillo

English (493)  Japanese (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (496)
(Written by Irene Mele, age ten)
Because of Winne Dixe was a very good book. I like how the author made it seem like Opal was telling a story about what happened to her last summer. It was soo hard for me to put down the book. However, I feel like the author should have added more details and feeling into the text. For example it was a bit hard for me to picture Mrs.Franny. Also I would have liked it if the author added how Opal felt when she couldn’t find winne dixie. ( )
  MaryHeleneMele | May 6, 2019 |
What a touching story of loss and love. ( )
  cougargirl1967 | Mar 30, 2019 |
I enjoyed the book “Because of Winn-Dixie” for a lot of reasons. First, the book was a book that was a realistic fiction which created a realistic feel to the book. It created a connection between me and a character because I have three dogs and how she related to her dogs, I could recall personal situations with my dogs as well. It was cool to believe that the dog can relate and be so loveable to so many people. I also enjoyed the book because of discovery of one’s self. The book discusses how Opal, who doesn’t know her mother, is on a journey to discover herself while learning more and more about her mother. Last, the book relates to a lot of people struggling on finding friends and moving to a new place as well. Overall, I believe that this book does a great job of taking creating a realistic fiction feeling to it because it requires the thought of what some may actually go through themselves. ( )
  kisabe1 | Mar 11, 2019 |
This book is exactly like a Littmus Lozenge. Sweet and sad.

(Fun fact: my first experience with this book was a grade 4 student bringing it to me because she had found a bad word in it. She’s right - the ‘r’ word shows up a few times. It served as a good opportunity to discuss the way language changes over time and how we need to apply our own common sense and values to some of the language we read.) ( )
  Wordbrarian | Mar 5, 2019 |
Ten year old Opal and her father, “the preacher” recently moved to Naomi, Florida. Opal is lonely and finds herself struggling to make friends, since it is summertime. One day, Opal’s father sends her to the Winn-Dixie grocery store, where she finds a dog inside wrecking havoc and a fed up store manager, who calls for the dog to be impounded. Opal, feeling sorry for the dog, claims the dog is hers and takes him home with her. She convinces the preacher to let her keep the dog, whom she names Winn-Dixie.

Soon, Opal is taking Winn-Dixie everywhere - to church, where he catches, but doesn’t harm, a mouse; to the library, where she befriends the librarian, Miss Franny Block. Despite animals not being allowed in the library, Miss Franny Block allows Winn-Dixie to come in with Opal, much to the dismay of “pinch-faced” Amanda Wilkinson, who often hangs out at the library. One night, at Opal’s request, the preacher tells Opal ten things about her mother, who left when Opal was three.

Because of Winn-Dixie, Opal ends up making many new, unexpected friends. She meets Otis..the talented musician and former inmate, who runs the local pet store. When Opal follows Winn-Dixie into the yard of Gloria Dump, she learns that Gloria Dump is the rumored neighborhood witch, who, as it turns out isn’t a witch at all.

One day while she’s at the library, Miss Franny Block tells Opal and Amanda of the story of how her family started a candy factory. The specialty was the ‘Litmus Lozenge” which Miss Franny says has an added secret ingredient: sorrow. On this same day, Opal also learns that Amanda is dealing with sorrow following the drowning death of her brother a year before.

Soon, Opal and Gloria decide to have a party at Gloria’s house. They invite all the people from the neighborhood that Opal has met, all of whom accept the invitation. The party starts just as Opal imagined it would, but it doesn’t take long for things to go awry…

This book is a feel-good novel about love, friendship, and healing wounds. ( )
  Brianna.Andrea | Feb 16, 2019 |

Kate DiCamilloprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bliss, HarryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Tracey and Beck because they listened first
My Name is India Opal Buloni, last summer my daddy, the preacher, sent me to the store for a box of macaroni-and-cheese, some white rice, and two tomatoes and I came back with a dog.
“…But in the meantime, you got to remember, you can’t always judge people by the things they done. You got to judge them by what they are doing now.”
“What truth?” I asked her.

“Why, that war is hell,” Miss Franny said with her eyes still closed. “Pure hell.”

Hell is a cuss word,” said Amanda. I stole a look at her. Her face was pinched up even more than usual.

War,” said Miss Franny with her eyes still closed, “should be a cuss word, too.”
I didn’t go to sleep right away. I lay there and thought how life was like a Littmus Lozenge, how the sweet and the sad were all mixed up together and how hard it was to separate them out. It was confusing.
“There ain’t no way you can hold on to something that wants to go, you understand? You can only love what you got while you got it.”
Thinking about her was the same as the hole you keep on feeling with your tongue after you lose a tooth.

Because of Winn Dixie by Kate Dicamillio is mostly about friendship and compassion. Opal is close to being a preteen girl living with her father. She takes in this uncared for dog who changes her life forever. She meets unusaul people who become her best friends in life.She is soon to find that one little thunder storm will change her outlook on life.-Autumn Taylor

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763616052, Paperback)

Because of Winn-Dixie, a big, ugly, happy dog, 10-year-old Opal learns 10 things about her long-gone mother from her preacher father. Because of Winn-Dixie, Opal makes new friends among the somewhat unusual residents of her new hometown, Naomi, Florida. Because of Winn-Dixie, Opal begins to find her place in the world and let go of some of the sadness left by her mother's abandonment seven years earlier.

With her newly adopted, goofy pooch at her side, Opal explores her bittersweet world and learns to listen to other people's lives. This warm and winning book hosts an unforgettable cast of characters, including a librarian who fought off a bear with a copy of War and Peace, an ex-con pet-store clerk who plays sweet music to his animal charges, and the neighborhood "witch," a nearly blind woman who sees with her heart. Part Frankie (The Member of the Wedding), part Scout (To Kill a Mockingbird), Opal brings her own unique and wonderful voice to a story of friendship, loneliness, and acceptance. Opal's down-home charm and dead-on honesty will earn her friends and fans far beyond the confines of Naomi, Florida. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:57 -0400)

Ten-year-old India Opal Buloni describes her first summer in the town of Naomi, Florida, and all the good things that happen to her because of her big ugly dog Winn-Dixie.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,896,513 books! | Top bar: Always visible