Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

Because of Winn-Dixie (edition 2001)

by Kate DiCamillo

Title:Because of Winn-Dixie
Authors:Kate DiCamillo
Info:Candlewick (2001), Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:Chapter Books, Contemporary Realistic Fiction, 3rd-4th Grade Readers
Tags:Animals, Dogs, Family, Friendship

Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

English (382)  Japanese (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (385)
Because of Winn-Dixie is such a great chapter book for young children because it showcases how sometimes things that seem bad turn out better than they thought they would. I liked how the story had so many description words to help the reader get drawn into the story. The beginning of the story has Winn-Dixie tearing through a grocery store, and Kate DiCamillo does a great job at using words that can get the reader to picture the scenery. ( )
  dschae7 | Oct 20, 2016 |
I LOVE this book so so much! I remember reading it in elementary school and loving it then, and I still love it now!
  MicahGrizzle | Oct 16, 2016 |
I absolutely love this book and think it is a great story to have students read. This book is funny, caring, and is a great story about a girl, her father, and their new dog. I think students would really connect and think this book is entertaining and comical. This would definitely be a book they wouldn't want to put down and would want to keep reading. Since there is so much that goes on in the story I would definitely want to do some activities with the students. For example, do a writing assignment what they would do if they were in Opal's shoes and this happened to them. It would be great hearing the student's thoughts on this writing piece!
  MacyMoonshower | Oct 16, 2016 |
Because of Winn Dixie is a wonderful children's chapter book that I would recommend to anyone. In my opinion this book would be great for children between third and seventh grade. The story is centered around a young girl named Opal and her dog Winn-Dixie. Opal has just moved to a small southern town with her father, a preacher and single parent. Upon moving to the town Opal finds a stray dog in a grocery store and claims him as her own. The two form an inseparable bond after her father “the preacher” allows her to keep him. From here on the story consists of Opal meeting other characters and forming friendships with primarily older individuals, such as a librarian, pet shop employee, and an “old witch”. These characters become Opals close friends and over time Opal becomes more comfortable with her new surroundings. Opal has a strained relationship with her father, and this is especially evident towards the beginning of the book.The lessons Opal learns from these new found friends and the love she experiences through Winn-Dixie help mend her relationship with her father throughout the book. Opal doesn't tend to get along with the children that are her own age in town, but after learning some important life lessons from Gloria Dump and Ms. Franny Block she eventually comes to terms with them and forms the beginning of friendships. Towards the end of the book Gloria Dump and Opal throw a party inspired by Gone With The Wind and invite everyone they know. During the party a thunderstorm occurs which assumably scares Winn-Dixie who is phobic of thunderstorms. Opal and her father search far and wide for Winn-Dixie who they assume has run away in response to the thunder. After searching to the end of the town Opals father states that he thinks Winn-Dixie is gone for good, and Opal confronts her father about giving up. Opal then relates this to her father allowing her mother to leave, which greatly affects the Preacher. The Preacher explains that he couldn't stop her from leaving and begins to cry. Opal comforts him in response and tells him that everything will be ok. Upon returning home they find that Winn-Dixie was actually hiding at home the entirety of the time and are overjoyed at the news. Opal, her father, and everyone at the party celebrate and the book then comes to a close. In my opinion this book has a couple central messages. One central message I found was the natural impermanence of the ability to love someone or something. Towards the end of the book Opal is told “You can only love what you got while you got it” Opal experiences the loss of her mother, and although not permanently the loss of her dog. It's evident that she takes this phrase to heart especially when Winn-Dixie is gone. Another central message I found to be in the book was “you can't judge a book by its cover”. Opal meets a large cast of characters throughout her story and almost all of them end up being completely different people then she is led to believe they are when first met. Examples of this are everywhere, from Gloria dump who is initially thought to be a witch, to the friends Opal meets that are her own age, almost no one is who she originally thinks they are. Overall I think this is a great book and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Due to the story and development and connection of the characters I would rate this book 4 ½ stars out of five. Because Of Winn-Dixie is a must read and would make a great book to read before bed or in general to any child. ( )
  NicholasJohns | Oct 4, 2016 |
I would personally use this book as a read aloud at the end of the school day. Children would really enjoy it because the characters are very relatable. This is what makes it a realistic fiction book.
  TaylorMcMillan | Oct 2, 2016 |

Kate DiCamilloprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bliss, HarryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Tracey and Beck because they listened first
My Name is India Opal Buloni, last summer my daddy, the preacher, sent me to the store for a box of macaroni-and-cheese, some white rice, and two tomatoes and I came back with a dog.
“…But in the meantime, you got to remember, you can’t always judge people by the things they done. You got to judge them by what they are doing now.”
“What truth?” I asked her.

“Why, that war is hell,” Miss Franny said with her eyes still closed. “Pure hell.”

Hell is a cuss word,” said Amanda. I stole a look at her. Her face was pinched up even more than usual.

War,” said Miss Franny with her eyes still closed, “should be a cuss word, too.”
I didn’t go to sleep right away. I lay there and thought how life was like a Littmus Lozenge, how the sweet and the sad were all mixed up together and how hard it was to separate them out. It was confusing.
“There ain’t no way you can hold on to something that wants to go, you understand? You can only love what you got while you got it.”
Thinking about her was the same as the hole you keep on feeling with your tongue after you lose a tooth.

Because of Winn Dixie by Kate Dicamillio is mostly about friendship and compassion. Opal is close to being a preteen girl living with her father. She takes in this uncared for dog who changes her life forever. She meets unusaul people who become her best friends in life.She is soon to find that one little thunder storm will change her outlook on life.-Autumn Taylor

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763616052, Paperback)

Because of Winn-Dixie, a big, ugly, happy dog, 10-year-old Opal learns 10 things about her long-gone mother from her preacher father. Because of Winn-Dixie, Opal makes new friends among the somewhat unusual residents of her new hometown, Naomi, Florida. Because of Winn-Dixie, Opal begins to find her place in the world and let go of some of the sadness left by her mother's abandonment seven years earlier.

With her newly adopted, goofy pooch at her side, Opal explores her bittersweet world and learns to listen to other people's lives. This warm and winning book hosts an unforgettable cast of characters, including a librarian who fought off a bear with a copy of War and Peace, an ex-con pet-store clerk who plays sweet music to his animal charges, and the neighborhood "witch," a nearly blind woman who sees with her heart. Part Frankie (The Member of the Wedding), part Scout (To Kill a Mockingbird), Opal brings her own unique and wonderful voice to a story of friendship, loneliness, and acceptance. Opal's down-home charm and dead-on honesty will earn her friends and fans far beyond the confines of Naomi, Florida. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:57 -0400)

Ten-year-old India Opal Buloni describes her first summer in the town of Naomi, Florida, and all the good things that happen to her because of her big ugly dog Winn-Dixie.

Candlewick Press

7 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763607762, 0763625582, 0763628441, 0763625574, 0763644323, 0763651850, 0763650072

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,735,955 books! | Top bar: Always visible