Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

Because of Winn-Dixie (edition 2001)

by Kate DiCamillo

Member:m.monroe828
Title:Because of Winn-Dixie
Authors:Kate DiCamillo
Info:Candlewick (2001), Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:Chapter Books, Contemporary Realistic Fiction, 3rd-4th Grade Readers
Rating:*****
Tags:Animals, Dogs, Family, Friendship

Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

English (369)  Japanese (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (372)
India Opal Buloni, newly moved to the town of Naomi, Florida with her preacher father, is lonely and looking for something to occupy her summer when she walks into the local Winn Dixie (a supermarket chain common in the South) and discovers the chaos wrought by one unkempt by lovable stray dog. Determined to save this canine from the pound, she claims that the dog is hers, promptly naming him Winn Dixie, and bringing him home to her father. Winn Dixie soon involves Opal, as she is more commonly known, in many adventures, leading to her newfound friendships with many of the people in town, from Miss Franny Block, the elderly librarian at the Herman W. Block Memorial Library, to shy Otis, the ex-con musician working at Gertrude's Pets. Winn Dixie also brings Opal closer to 'the Preacher,' as she calls her father, leading him to open up a bit about her mother, who left them when Opal was still a little girl...

The second novel I have read from Kate DiCamillo, after the marvelous The Tale of Despereaux, Because of Winn Wixie is an immensely engaging, entertaining, and moving book. Winn Dixie himself is a wonderfully realized character - I loved the descriptions of his smile! - but then so is Opal, her father, and her new friends. The people in this story feel real, and although it is a fairly slim book, it leaves behind quite an impression. I thought DiCamillo did an excellent job exploring some of the pitfalls of meeting new people - making snap judgements, as Opal does with Amanda Wilkinson, unaware that she too is struggling with her own sorrow - while also highlighting the many joys of building a sense of community. Recommended to anyone looking for moving stories of children and their dogs, or to anyone interested in tales of moving to new homes and communities. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jun 28, 2016 |
The story of a girl named India Opal Buloni and a dog she names Winn-Dixie, after the grocery store she finds him in. Or did he find her?
India Opal has just moved to a trailer park in Florida, with her preacher father. Winn-Dixie becomes her best friend as she gets used to her new home and meets a variety of people in the small town. Miss Franny Block who owns her own library, and comes from a family who made a special candy. A pet shop manager named Otis, who plays his guitar for the animals in the store each morning before opening. Gloria Dump, who the local kids think is a witch. India Opal and Winn-Dixie learn the story behind each person and what makes them who they are.
The story is well written and enjoyable to read for many age levels. I can see why it has won so many awards. A definite must on any kid's reading list...or adult's. ( )
  ChazziFrazz | Jun 23, 2016 |
This was my favorite childhood book! Every time I lost my copy, I would buy a new one. I never cried so hard from a book before. I will be sure to pass this down to my kids someday. Beautiful piece of writing to really make you feel! ( )
  Kayla.Krantz | Jun 18, 2016 |
Such a good book- nothing more I could say! ( )
  sippju01 | Jun 9, 2016 |
Just didn't do a whole lot for me. Maybe 2.5 stars. A little cliched and predictable, a little syrupy. I totally do get why it's popular though and am glad people are reading it. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |

Kate DiCamilloprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bliss, HarryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Tracey and Beck because they listened first
My Name is India Opal Buloni, last summer my daddy, the preacher, sent me to the store for a box of macaroni-and-cheese, some white rice, and two tomatoes and I came back with a dog.
“…But in the meantime, you got to remember, you can’t always judge people by the things they done. You got to judge them by what they are doing now.”
“What truth?” I asked her.

“Why, that war is hell,” Miss Franny said with her eyes still closed. “Pure hell.”

Hell is a cuss word,” said Amanda. I stole a look at her. Her face was pinched up even more than usual.

War,” said Miss Franny with her eyes still closed, “should be a cuss word, too.”
I didn’t go to sleep right away. I lay there and thought how life was like a Littmus Lozenge, how the sweet and the sad were all mixed up together and how hard it was to separate them out. It was confusing.
“There ain’t no way you can hold on to something that wants to go, you understand? You can only love what you got while you got it.”
Thinking about her was the same as the hole you keep on feeling with your tongue after you lose a tooth.

Because of Winn Dixie by Kate Dicamillio is mostly about friendship and compassion. Opal is close to being a preteen girl living with her father. She takes in this uncared for dog who changes her life forever. She meets unusaul people who become her best friends in life.She is soon to find that one little thunder storm will change her outlook on life.-Autumn Taylor

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763616052, Paperback)

Because of Winn-Dixie, a big, ugly, happy dog, 10-year-old Opal learns 10 things about her long-gone mother from her preacher father. Because of Winn-Dixie, Opal makes new friends among the somewhat unusual residents of her new hometown, Naomi, Florida. Because of Winn-Dixie, Opal begins to find her place in the world and let go of some of the sadness left by her mother's abandonment seven years earlier.

With her newly adopted, goofy pooch at her side, Opal explores her bittersweet world and learns to listen to other people's lives. This warm and winning book hosts an unforgettable cast of characters, including a librarian who fought off a bear with a copy of War and Peace, an ex-con pet-store clerk who plays sweet music to his animal charges, and the neighborhood "witch," a nearly blind woman who sees with her heart. Part Frankie (The Member of the Wedding), part Scout (To Kill a Mockingbird), Opal brings her own unique and wonderful voice to a story of friendship, loneliness, and acceptance. Opal's down-home charm and dead-on honesty will earn her friends and fans far beyond the confines of Naomi, Florida. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:57 -0400)

Ten-year-old India Opal Buloni describes her first summer in the town of Naomi, Florida, and all the good things that happen to her because of her big ugly dog Winn-Dixie.

Candlewick Press

7 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763607762, 0763625582, 0763628441, 0763625574, 0763644323, 0763651850, 0763650072

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,845,862 books! | Top bar: Always visible