Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

Because of Winn-Dixie (edition 2000)

by Kate DiCamillo

Member:debbyherring
Title:Because of Winn-Dixie
Authors:Kate DiCamillo
Info:Scholastic (2000), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 185 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:pets, friendship

Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

English (409)  Japanese (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All (412)
Opal, the ten-year old girl, "adopts" a stray dog at the Winn-Dixie supermarket. She isn't sure how her father, the Preacher, will react, but he did always tell her to help those less fortunate and the dog certainly does need rescuing. She names the dog Winn-Dixie after the supermarket. Opal has been lonely after a recent move to a small town in Florida. Not having her friends around has made her miss her mother (who abandoned the family years ago) more than ever. This story of how she adjusts to caring for a dog, making new friends, and dealing with the loss of her mother invokes the entire spectrum of emotions. ( )
  JacquelineWelsh | Feb 21, 2017 |
This book can be used as a read aloud for younger grades because it is too advanced for them to read, but it would also be a good independent/group book for a fifth grade class to use for projects or a group based reading project. This book can also be used with the older grades to be an example of dialogue and how dialogue adds to a story. It can also be used for younger grades to
  rstrohmeier | Feb 18, 2017 |
I would use this chapter book for 5th graders to teach students who to analyze the text while reading. I would use this book as an independent reading to teach syntax and imagery because it is used in the book and I would have students notice while syntax and imagery while reading. I would do this by having students read a chapter and keep a journal of the syntax they noticed and will write down the sentence. Students will write down imagery that they read as well in their journal. I could also use this as an interactive read-aloud book to teach students about character and the relationships between the characters. I could also have students think about the text and make inferences while reading. I could use this book for the teaching the theme community or family to my students.
  mmccrady01 | Feb 15, 2017 |
This book would be an excellent choice for third, fourth, and fifth graders as it is a simple story that encourages thinking and analyzing. This could be used as a mentor text as it is easy for any student to relate to the content, and it is easy to read. It introduces a new southern dialect for students who may have not been around that type of speech before, which makes it useful in teaching dialogue and syntax. As the main character, and a few of the other characters in the story are around the age of 3rd-5th graders, it would also be useful in teaching about characters as they can make connections to their own experiences.
  tmoreland01 | Feb 15, 2017 |
I've always loved this book. In the fourth grade, we read Because of Winn-Dixie and I loved it and the story. The story is heart-warming and touching and you can't help but be fond of the characters, especially the lovable dog, Winn-Dixie. The movie's superb, too. ( )
  kyndyleizabella | Jan 23, 2017 |

Kate DiCamilloprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bliss, HarryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Tracey and Beck because they listened first
My Name is India Opal Buloni, last summer my daddy, the preacher, sent me to the store for a box of macaroni-and-cheese, some white rice, and two tomatoes and I came back with a dog.
“…But in the meantime, you got to remember, you can’t always judge people by the things they done. You got to judge them by what they are doing now.”
“What truth?” I asked her.

“Why, that war is hell,” Miss Franny said with her eyes still closed. “Pure hell.”

Hell is a cuss word,” said Amanda. I stole a look at her. Her face was pinched up even more than usual.

War,” said Miss Franny with her eyes still closed, “should be a cuss word, too.”
I didn’t go to sleep right away. I lay there and thought how life was like a Littmus Lozenge, how the sweet and the sad were all mixed up together and how hard it was to separate them out. It was confusing.
“There ain’t no way you can hold on to something that wants to go, you understand? You can only love what you got while you got it.”
Thinking about her was the same as the hole you keep on feeling with your tongue after you lose a tooth.

Because of Winn Dixie by Kate Dicamillio is mostly about friendship and compassion. Opal is close to being a preteen girl living with her father. She takes in this uncared for dog who changes her life forever. She meets unusaul people who become her best friends in life.She is soon to find that one little thunder storm will change her outlook on life.-Autumn Taylor

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763616052, Paperback)

Because of Winn-Dixie, a big, ugly, happy dog, 10-year-old Opal learns 10 things about her long-gone mother from her preacher father. Because of Winn-Dixie, Opal makes new friends among the somewhat unusual residents of her new hometown, Naomi, Florida. Because of Winn-Dixie, Opal begins to find her place in the world and let go of some of the sadness left by her mother's abandonment seven years earlier.

With her newly adopted, goofy pooch at her side, Opal explores her bittersweet world and learns to listen to other people's lives. This warm and winning book hosts an unforgettable cast of characters, including a librarian who fought off a bear with a copy of War and Peace, an ex-con pet-store clerk who plays sweet music to his animal charges, and the neighborhood "witch," a nearly blind woman who sees with her heart. Part Frankie (The Member of the Wedding), part Scout (To Kill a Mockingbird), Opal brings her own unique and wonderful voice to a story of friendship, loneliness, and acceptance. Opal's down-home charm and dead-on honesty will earn her friends and fans far beyond the confines of Naomi, Florida. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:57 -0400)

Ten-year-old India Opal Buloni describes her first summer in the town of Naomi, Florida, and all the good things that happen to her because of her big ugly dog Winn-Dixie.

Candlewick Press

6 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763607762, 0763625582, 0763625574, 0763644323, 0763651850, 0763650072

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,483,185 books! | Top bar: Always visible