Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

Because of Winn-Dixie (edition 2000)

by Kate DiCamillo

Member:debbyherring
Title:Because of Winn-Dixie
Authors:Kate DiCamillo
Info:Scholastic (2000), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 185 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:pets, friendship

Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

English (314)  Japanese (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (317)
Summary of Book: This book is about a little girl named Opal and her father, a preacher. They move to small town where Opal does not know anybody. One day Opal happened to be at a local grocery store and this is where her life changed. She rescued a dog, that caused a lot of trouble in the store. She tries to keep the dog a secret from her dad because she knew the preacher would not let her keep him. Having Winn Dixie in her life, Opal meets new friends and starts to enjoy her life in this new town.

Personal Reaction: This book is heart warming. I can relate because when I was growing up, my dad was in the military. We moved around a lot state side and over seas. It was hard leaving my friends and having to move to new places, and having to start all over again.

Extension Ideas: 1) Have students do a compare and contrast of Opal's life versus their own life.
2) Then have students write about what they would do if they were the new student in school and list some ideas of how they would try to make new friends.
  ah932109 | Mar 20, 2015 |
Opal moves to Florida with her father, and she feels lonely. She does not have any friends, relatives, or a good relationship with her father. The father of Opal is a preacher, and she feels that she cannot talk to him about certain stuff, so she decides to hide her feelings. Opal’s mother abandoned her with the father when she was small, and when she moves to Florida she feels more connected to her mom. When Opal thinks about her dad she thinks and refers to him as the preacher, but when she talks to him, she calls him daddy. One day when Opal goes to Winn Dixie the grocery store, there is a lot of produce on the floor, and she wonders why? Then she sees the Winn Dixie employees trying to catch a dog, and the dog smiles at her. Opal feels so good when the dog smiles at her, and once the Winn- Dixie employees caught the dog, the employees asked who it was. Opal says it is her dog, and she says Winn- Dixie come, and the dog comes to her. Opal takes the dog home, and convinces her father that the dog stays. Winn-Dixie brings Opal and her father together, and it also brings many new adventures for Opal. Winn- Dixie needed a collar, so Opal goes to the pet store, and wants to get a leash but the leash is too expensive. Opal asks the guy, if she can work to pay off the leash and the guy agrees. Soon she meets new kids and grownups, and she decides to give a party to unite her friends. The night of the party, there are thunderstorms, and Winn Dixie gets scared and hides. Opal cannot find him, and she goes out on the road with her father to look for Winn Dixie. She cannot find Winn Dixie, so she goes back to the party. Opal finds Winn Dixie at the party, and she feels better. The book is well organized, but the ending was not great. The ending leaves readers in suspense. The book reflects the relationship between a dog and a lonely girl. The dog helps Opal become social. ( )
  memaldonado | Feb 28, 2015 |
In my opinion, this is a great book for elementary school children. Many children can relate to the character in the book because they don’t have many friends and they are lonely, or maybe they have experienced a move to a new town recently. Since Winn Dixie becomes a friend to Opal, she is able to get through her days with the dog by her side. This shows friendship and having a companion. Life is not always easy, but having a friend helps heal the pain and misery. The girl in the book is also 10 which is around the same age as the children who would be reading the book.

Some readers may also relate because Opal does not live with her mother and her father, she only lives with her father. If a student has the same home situation, they may be able to relate to the character. This book shows that even if someone mother walks out on their lives when they are young, there is no need to have a hatred towards them.
The book shows students that they should be helpful and a friend to those who are less fortunate. This makes students think deeper about their lives and evaluate if they have ever helped someone who is less fortunate. If a ten year old girl is doing it in the book, I can as well.

The language in the book is simple so most readers will be able to understand the text. Students will not have a hard time trying to read the book. Since it is told about a 10 year old girl, the vocabulary is not very advanced. The plot is very problem solution because she is lonely and she gets a dog to help her make friends and keep her company.
  jbarro3 | Feb 16, 2015 |
How is it I haven't read this book yet ?
Absolutely loved it !
My 3rd grader came home telling me about this dog story they were reading in school and we needed to get this book. Lo and behold we had a copy in our stash and started reading it right away. She read aloud every spare moment we had and it was finished in no time.
A great story for all ages. ( )
  ginger72 | Feb 10, 2015 |

Kate DiCamilloprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bliss, HarryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Tracey and Beck because they listened first
My Name is India Opal Buloni, last summer my daddy, the preacher, sent me to the store for a box of macaroni-and-cheese, some white rice, and two tomatoes and I came back with a dog.
“…But in the meantime, you got to remember, you can’t always judge people by the things they done. You got to judge them by what they are doing now.”
“What truth?” I asked her.

“Why, that war is hell,” Miss Franny said with her eyes still closed. “Pure hell.”

Hell is a cuss word,” said Amanda. I stole a look at her. Her face was pinched up even more than usual.

War,” said Miss Franny with her eyes still closed, “should be a cuss word, too.”
I didn’t go to sleep right away. I lay there and thought how life was like a Littmus Lozenge, how the sweet and the sad were all mixed up together and how hard it was to separate them out. It was confusing.
“There ain’t no way you can hold on to something that wants to go, you understand? You can only love what you got while you got it.”
Thinking about her was the same as the hole you keep on feeling with your tongue after you lose a tooth.

Because of Winn Dixie by Kate Dicamillio is mostly about friendship and compassion. Opal is close to being a preteen girl living with her father. She takes in this uncared for dog who changes her life forever. She meets unusaul people who become her best friends in life.She is soon to find that one little thunder storm will change her outlook on life.-Autumn Taylor

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763616052, Paperback)

Because of Winn-Dixie, a big, ugly, happy dog, 10-year-old Opal learns 10 things about her long-gone mother from her preacher father. Because of Winn-Dixie, Opal makes new friends among the somewhat unusual residents of her new hometown, Naomi, Florida. Because of Winn-Dixie, Opal begins to find her place in the world and let go of some of the sadness left by her mother's abandonment seven years earlier.

With her newly adopted, goofy pooch at her side, Opal explores her bittersweet world and learns to listen to other people's lives. This warm and winning book hosts an unforgettable cast of characters, including a librarian who fought off a bear with a copy of War and Peace, an ex-con pet-store clerk who plays sweet music to his animal charges, and the neighborhood "witch," a nearly blind woman who sees with her heart. Part Frankie (The Member of the Wedding), part Scout (To Kill a Mockingbird), Opal brings her own unique and wonderful voice to a story of friendship, loneliness, and acceptance. Opal's down-home charm and dead-on honesty will earn her friends and fans far beyond the confines of Naomi, Florida. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:14 -0400)

Ten-year-old India Opal Buloni describes her first summer in the town of Naomi, Florida, and all the good things that happen to her because of her big ugly dog Winn-Dixie.

Candlewick Press

7 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763607762, 0763625582, 0763628441, 0763625574, 0763644323, 0763651850, 0763650072

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,270,764 books! | Top bar: Always visible