Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

Because of Winn-Dixie (edition 2000)

by Kate DiCamillo

Member:debbyherring
Title:Because of Winn-Dixie
Authors:Kate DiCamillo
Info:Scholastic (2000), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 185 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:pets, friendship

Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

English (326)  Japanese (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (329)
Very sweet children's story - I loved it! It made me cry. I think the cover said that every chapter was like a wonderful short story. I think the same and they add up to a wonderful tale of a young girl and a dog. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
I chose to review Because of Winn Dixie by Kate DiCamillo, a 2001 Newbery Honor Book, for this first edition of the Middle Grade Voice for three reasons:

1. It's famous—everyone into middle grade literature has heard of this novel.

2. It represents lower-middle-grade almost to the point of defining it.

3. It’s short and inexpensive, so you can go right out and buy a copy if you’re interested in studying it as I have.

The story is about a 10-year-old girl named Opal, who goes to live in Florida when her father moves there to pastor a small church. Unfortunately, Opal’s mother has abandoned the family, so it is just she and her dad.

One day she goes to the grocery store, and there’s a dog running around the place that no one can catch. She catches the dog and takes it home and names it after the store where she found it—Winn Dixie.

That summer, Opal makes new friends and comes to understand that people are not always what they seem to be. The rumored town witch is really a nice old lady, and an ex-con, pet shop owner turns out to really be a warm-hearted, animal-loving, guitar player.

When Winn-Dixie runs away during a storm that interrupts the town picnic/party, Opal is nearly unglued because she can’t find him anywhere. She and her father search in the rain, but to no end. The climax of the story is when Opal confronts her father after he tells her that they have to give up looking for the dog. She then confronts him about not trying hard enough to find her mother after she left them. He breaks down and says that he did all he could.

When they get back to the party, they find that Winn-Dixie had been hiding in the house all along. In this denouement, we learn that those who truly love us don’t abandon us. We learn that real friendship means self-sacrifice and never giving up on the ones you love.

What’s great about this book is the way it deals with hard issues and life lessons as they affect a child, but at the same time sticks to the middle grade criteria:

The book is approximately 22,000 words in length. There is no swearing, romance, or violence. There is a middle-grade-age main character who solves the problems in the story, and it has a positive ending.

Because of that classic middle-grade format, Because of Winn-Dixie is a great book for new middle grade authors to study. It’s well written; it’s good storytelling; it’s very popular, and it’s easy to obtain in a variety of formats. It should be included in any serious consideration of what constitutes quality middle grade fiction.

Reviewed by Edward J. Gordon, MGWA ( )
  Gordoncomp | Jul 18, 2015 |
Special features: This book was made into a movie in 2005.
Kate DiCamillo is the author of several award-winning novels for children. This one is a Newberry Honor Book. She is also the Library of Congress National Ambassador for Young People's Literature for 2014-2015.
  Jquimbey | Jul 17, 2015 |
I'm not entirely sure of the time period Winn Dixie is set in, possibly contemporary, but possibly a generation (or so) back? The small town, semi-rural, everyone-knows-everyone feel of the "neighborhood" makes me wish I lived there! I love how this young girl and her adopted pet bridge people of diverse backgrounds together and the voice in the story makes me feel nostalgic. The protagonist has such heart! I especially loved the shop-keeper and the scene where he plays music for the animals and they all sit there nice and calm, out of their cages, I can just picture it in my mind.
  Amyinalaska | Jul 12, 2015 |
A story about being abandoned and feeling lost and alone, but finding hope and friendship regardless. Opal finds her friend in a dog that she names Winn Dixie. It is such a cute story about how friends do not have to be other humans, they can simply be those who make us feel good about ourselves and that give us hope from day to day. Because of Winn Dixie, Opal is able to push through her struggles in life and overcome issues with her father. ( )
  lriver5 | May 14, 2015 |

Kate DiCamilloprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bliss, HarryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Tracey and Beck because they listened first
My Name is India Opal Buloni, last summer my daddy, the preacher, sent me to the store for a box of macaroni-and-cheese, some white rice, and two tomatoes and I came back with a dog.
“…But in the meantime, you got to remember, you can’t always judge people by the things they done. You got to judge them by what they are doing now.”
“What truth?” I asked her.

“Why, that war is hell,” Miss Franny said with her eyes still closed. “Pure hell.”

Hell is a cuss word,” said Amanda. I stole a look at her. Her face was pinched up even more than usual.

War,” said Miss Franny with her eyes still closed, “should be a cuss word, too.”
I didn’t go to sleep right away. I lay there and thought how life was like a Littmus Lozenge, how the sweet and the sad were all mixed up together and how hard it was to separate them out. It was confusing.
“There ain’t no way you can hold on to something that wants to go, you understand? You can only love what you got while you got it.”
Thinking about her was the same as the hole you keep on feeling with your tongue after you lose a tooth.

Because of Winn Dixie by Kate Dicamillio is mostly about friendship and compassion. Opal is close to being a preteen girl living with her father. She takes in this uncared for dog who changes her life forever. She meets unusaul people who become her best friends in life.She is soon to find that one little thunder storm will change her outlook on life.-Autumn Taylor

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763616052, Paperback)

Because of Winn-Dixie, a big, ugly, happy dog, 10-year-old Opal learns 10 things about her long-gone mother from her preacher father. Because of Winn-Dixie, Opal makes new friends among the somewhat unusual residents of her new hometown, Naomi, Florida. Because of Winn-Dixie, Opal begins to find her place in the world and let go of some of the sadness left by her mother's abandonment seven years earlier.

With her newly adopted, goofy pooch at her side, Opal explores her bittersweet world and learns to listen to other people's lives. This warm and winning book hosts an unforgettable cast of characters, including a librarian who fought off a bear with a copy of War and Peace, an ex-con pet-store clerk who plays sweet music to his animal charges, and the neighborhood "witch," a nearly blind woman who sees with her heart. Part Frankie (The Member of the Wedding), part Scout (To Kill a Mockingbird), Opal brings her own unique and wonderful voice to a story of friendship, loneliness, and acceptance. Opal's down-home charm and dead-on honesty will earn her friends and fans far beyond the confines of Naomi, Florida. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:57 -0400)

Ten-year-old India Opal Buloni describes her first summer in the town of Naomi, Florida, and all the good things that happen to her because of her big ugly dog Winn-Dixie.

Candlewick Press

7 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763607762, 0763625582, 0763628441, 0763625574, 0763644323, 0763651850, 0763650072

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,410,041 books! | Top bar: Always visible