Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

Because of Winn-Dixie (edition 2000)

by Kate DiCamillo

Member:debbyherring
Title:Because of Winn-Dixie
Authors:Kate DiCamillo
Info:Scholastic (2000), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 185 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:pets, friendship

Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

English (402)  Japanese (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All (405)
BLURB: Kate DiCamillo’s beloved, best-selling debut novel is now available in a paperback digest edition.

Kate DiCamillo’s first published novel, like Winn-Dixie himself, immediately proved to be a keeper — a New York Times bestseller, a Newbery Honor winner, the inspiration for a popular film, and most especially, a cherished classic that touches the hearts of readers of all ages. It’s now available in a paperback digest format certain to bring this tale’s magic to an even wider circle of fans.

The summer Opal and her father, the preacher, move to Naomi, Florida, Opal goes into the Winn-Dixie supermarket--and comes out with a dog. A big, ugly, suffering dog with a sterling sense of humor. A dog she dubs Winn-Dixie. Because of Winn-Dixie, the preacher tells Opal ten things about her absent mother, one for each year Opal has been alive. Winn-Dixie is better at making friends than anyone Opal has ever known, and together they meet the local librarian, Miss Franny Block, who once fought off a bear with a copy of WAR AND PEACE. They meet Gloria Dump, who is nearly blind but sees with her heart, and Otis, an ex-con who sets the animals in his pet shop loose after hours, then lulls them with his guitar.Opal spends all that sweet summer collecting stories about her new friends and thinking about her mother. But because of Winn-Dixie or perhaps because she has grown, Opal learns to let go, just a little, and that friendship—and forgiveness—can sneak up on you like a sudden summer storm.

RATING: 5 stars for Because Of Winn-Dixie By: Kate DiCamillo
STARTED: APRIL 21,2014
FINISHED: APRIL 21,2014

REVIEW: I really enjoyed Because Of Winn-Dixie as it told a story about a girl name Opal who finds a dog, and takes it home from the Winn-Dixie grocery store. I really enjoyed the plot, and the constant activeness of the writer in this book. I really enjoyed the characters, and how everything played out in this book. I read this book when I was younger, and now it is even better! I enjoyed reading this book again as I am about 3-5 years older since the last time I read it. I also really enjoyed how the main character Opal explained, and gave us a back story of her, and her life as the preacher's daughter. I was definitely hooked again as soon as I read the first few pages! This book is for more an age group of 3rd-6th graders, and is a very wonderful book that I think anyone of any age should read! It was definitely a goodread! ( )
  christopher.kyle1706 | Dec 8, 2016 |
Summary

Because of Winn Dixie tells the story of a little girl, Opal who lived with her father who she referred to as the preacher. One day while shopping in the Winn Dixie supermarket. She found a dog that was obviously a stray and brought him home to her father. Opal was new in her town and did not have many friends. Her mother had left when she was very young and so her greatest friend became her dog Winn Dixie. Throughout the book, Opal's list of friendships and relationships grew as a result of encountering someone whose attention she got because of her dog. They ranged from little girls, to old women to mischievous boys and even one ex-convict. Opal found a way to bring all these people together with all their faults and failures and had a grand party where everyone was able to fellowship with each other and had a great time. She believed that all these turn of events came about because of her dog, Winn Dixie.

Critique

I enjoyed reading this book and watching Opal share love and friendship with everyone she met regardless of their past and present circumstances. Opal possessed the ability to look beyond people's failings and see something else that no one else would have noticed. Although she accredited those things to Winn Dixie, it really was because of her. Even Winn Dixie was not the prettiest dog when she found him but she looked beyond that and just saw a dog that was in need of love and care. I think the book communicates to us the readers to look beyond what people present on the outside and try to see them from what is o the inside - a message that we all need to take into consideration.

Prompts

P.25 Opal said she saw the preacher "thinking about pulling his head back into his shell." What did she mean by that?

p.169- 170 What were some of the changes that took place in the town because of Opal?

Craft Element for Mini Lesson

In a lesson on similes use the author's comparisons of some of the characters to animals. Ex. Opal's dad being compared to a turtle p.25 and Otis being compared to a wild animal p.149. Discuss these similes and find other examples throughout the book.
  deeprincess | Dec 7, 2016 |
This book would be great for students to read as a class as it can teach children about real-life situations such as family problems. With the help of comprehension strategies such as literature circles children can be able to discuss the book with their classmates. This is an opportunity where they can talk about parts of the book they found interesting and maybe bring up parts in their life related to the plot of the story.
  ChloeFukuda | Nov 28, 2016 |
Genre: Newberry
Summary: Opal Buloni is a ten year old girl. Her mom left when she was three, and her dad is a pastor. Opal is lonely, and very much takes care of her and her father. One summer she goes to get groceries. Only to find her soon to be beloved dog Winn-Dixie. She names him right then and there in the supermarket. This dog pulls the girl out of her shell and helps her make friends in this small southern town. As well as nudge her towards questioning about her mother.
Personal Reaction: This book shown that beautiful things come to an ungaurded person. When Opal's dad lets down his wall at the end of the book her and him develop a better relationship. Opal is left ungaurded by Winn-Dixie, then she is more open and meets new people. This book shows the tentativeness of making friends, and the lonliness of a girl without a mother.
Classroom Lesson: I would put students in pairs. Then they would have to ask the other person questions about themselves and write down the answers. After that they would present eachother's facts in front of the class. ( )
  cosmodad16 | Nov 27, 2016 |
A story of a young girl who has been abandoned by her mother at age three and she and her preacher dad have moved to a small town in Florida where she feels alone and experiences the abandonment more acutely. She finds a stray dog at the grocery story and that is the beginning of healing for her and others as well. As one of the characters tells Opal, you have to enjoy what you have while you have it. A good story for young people. ( )
  Kristelh | Nov 17, 2016 |

Kate DiCamilloprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bliss, HarryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Tracey and Beck because they listened first
My Name is India Opal Buloni, last summer my daddy, the preacher, sent me to the store for a box of macaroni-and-cheese, some white rice, and two tomatoes and I came back with a dog.
“…But in the meantime, you got to remember, you can’t always judge people by the things they done. You got to judge them by what they are doing now.”
“What truth?” I asked her.

“Why, that war is hell,” Miss Franny said with her eyes still closed. “Pure hell.”

Hell is a cuss word,” said Amanda. I stole a look at her. Her face was pinched up even more than usual.

War,” said Miss Franny with her eyes still closed, “should be a cuss word, too.”
I didn’t go to sleep right away. I lay there and thought how life was like a Littmus Lozenge, how the sweet and the sad were all mixed up together and how hard it was to separate them out. It was confusing.
“There ain’t no way you can hold on to something that wants to go, you understand? You can only love what you got while you got it.”
Thinking about her was the same as the hole you keep on feeling with your tongue after you lose a tooth.

Because of Winn Dixie by Kate Dicamillio is mostly about friendship and compassion. Opal is close to being a preteen girl living with her father. She takes in this uncared for dog who changes her life forever. She meets unusaul people who become her best friends in life.She is soon to find that one little thunder storm will change her outlook on life.-Autumn Taylor

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763616052, Paperback)

Because of Winn-Dixie, a big, ugly, happy dog, 10-year-old Opal learns 10 things about her long-gone mother from her preacher father. Because of Winn-Dixie, Opal makes new friends among the somewhat unusual residents of her new hometown, Naomi, Florida. Because of Winn-Dixie, Opal begins to find her place in the world and let go of some of the sadness left by her mother's abandonment seven years earlier.

With her newly adopted, goofy pooch at her side, Opal explores her bittersweet world and learns to listen to other people's lives. This warm and winning book hosts an unforgettable cast of characters, including a librarian who fought off a bear with a copy of War and Peace, an ex-con pet-store clerk who plays sweet music to his animal charges, and the neighborhood "witch," a nearly blind woman who sees with her heart. Part Frankie (The Member of the Wedding), part Scout (To Kill a Mockingbird), Opal brings her own unique and wonderful voice to a story of friendship, loneliness, and acceptance. Opal's down-home charm and dead-on honesty will earn her friends and fans far beyond the confines of Naomi, Florida. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:57 -0400)

Ten-year-old India Opal Buloni describes her first summer in the town of Naomi, Florida, and all the good things that happen to her because of her big ugly dog Winn-Dixie.

Candlewick Press

7 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763607762, 0763625582, 0763628441, 0763625574, 0763644323, 0763651850, 0763650072

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,789,990 books! | Top bar: Always visible