The Oregon Trail: A New American Journey by…

The Oregon Trail: A New American Journey (2015)

by Rinker Buck

I didn’t finish. I got bored. This guy is telling about the history of the Oregon trial intermixed with a modern-day trip with his brother in a covered wagon on the Oregon trail, including their fights and family drama. I think if it was just the history and stories from that time I would like it more- but I don’t really care about this dude’s personal journey. I also think it’s tainted for me because when I got a damaged copy from Brazos while looking through stuff, Augusta was like “you’re definitely not going to read that.” So lol FINE- you were right-ish. ( )
  nheredia05 | Jun 12, 2018 |
While I love the idea of the book, he spent way too much time on things that just didn't interest me, and not enough on their actual adventure. Taking pages and pages to rip on the Mormons (and all other religions) was disrespectful and out of place. Also, I realize that the brothers probably swore a lot while on the trail, I didn't need to read it all. This was a book club book, that was the only reason I didn't give up on it, where after 100 pages, they still hadn't hit the trail. ( )
  Lisa5127 | Jun 2, 2018 |
An enjoyable read about two brothers setting off on the Oregon Trail in modern times. Rinker and his brother did the trail with their father when they were young children. Now they are grown men and are setting off again in their covered wagon. The brothers are enjoyable characters as are many of the people they meet along their journey. ( )
  bnbookgirl | May 14, 2018 |
A wonderful book written about 2 brothers' modern day journey on the Oregon Trail. It is full of history and personal stories that they experienced along the way. I felt like I was rolling along with them in the covered wagon. What a treat to read this book. I would recommend it to all interested in America's pioneer history. I wish it was available when I was taking American History classes in high school and college. ( )
  Katyefk | Apr 10, 2018 |
I knew going in this was part memoir, part history. I figured I could put up with the memoir stuff for some good Oregon Trail history. Unfortunately I find the history part too dry and tedious to continue. I know more about the breeding of mules than I can stand. Then an entire chapter devoted to the building and technical development of wagons in the 18th century. And it looks like the upcoming chapter is all about the technical details of hitching up the mules to the wagon. I can't take this for another 300 pages, at least when I've got piles of other, hopefully more interesting books to get to! If this kind of history and detail is interests you, you may enjoy this. If you do, I do recommend getting a hold of the book, for the pictures and diagrams.
  catzkc | Mar 23, 2018 |
When I strike the open plains, something happens. I'm home. I breathe differently. That love of great spaces, or rolling open country like the sea, it's the grand passion of my life.
--Willa Cather
This book is for my brother, Nicholas McMahon Buck, who got us there with rare gumption and skill. Among New England horsemen, he has long been known as one of the great team drivers of his generation and he affirmed this - and more - crossing the Oregon Trail.
I had known long before I rode a covered wagon to Oregon that naivete was the mother of adventure.

Buck's epic account of traveling the length of the Oregon Trail the old-fashioned way-- in a covered wagon with a team of mules, an audacious journey that hasn't been attempted in a century-- tells the rich history of the trail, the people who made the migration, and its significance to the country.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,979,182 books! | Top bar: Always visible