The Wrong Man by Kate White

The Wrong Man

by Kate White

insider trading gone badly wrong more than usual
8.16
  aletheia21 | Sep 2, 2016 |
Too Much Fluff I've read all of White's novels and she has had a couple of good ones but I thought even then some of those had a little too much fluff and not enough substance but this one went way over the top. 90% of it was about curtains, clothes, dating and food! If I wanted to hear about all of that I would call up my girlfriends! When I read a book, I want to read a good memorable story. I hope in the future, White spends alot more time actually researching and writing the story line so she scan drop all of the extra filler!! ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
While in the Florida Keys on business, Kit decides to take a risk romantically and finds herself smitten by the man she has met. So imagine her surprise when he invites her to dinner back in New York and she finds a different person by his name when she shows up at her apartment. The twists and turns of this thriller make it a page-turner with a satisfying conclusion. ( )
  sleahey | Dec 30, 2015 |
This book was not interesting at all - mostly because I found it boring and the characters stilted and unlikable. I was ready for an edge-of-your-seat thriller, and instead I got a sink-into-your-La-Z-Boy-and-fall-asleep story.

Protagonist Kit Finn is an interior designer - and apparently a very talented one at that, but when it comes to real life and her personal love life she is a clueless ninny. Determined to have a bold adventure while in Islamorada on business, she has a one-night stand with a man who gives the name of Matt Healy. There was absolutely no chemistry or heat between Kit and Matt. Instead of letting the reader feel the attraction that Kit has for Matt, author Kate White proceeds to describe every detail of what Kit likes about Matt and actually says, "Kit found him attractive." I'd rather just be shown how they feel, rather than told. If two people are going to fall into bed together right after meeting each other, there should be some serious chemistry going on, and instead it felt clinical. I couldn't figure out what they saw in each other.

Since the one-night stand was the plot element that sets everything in motion, I didn't have high hopes for the rest of the novel. I got about 1/4 of the way through the book before I was so bored that I shut it and returned it to the library. I think the book's biggest problem is in its writing. Kate White writes as if she's talking in monotone, B-O-R-I-N-G. It's as if she talks with no inflection and is writing the book as an afterthought, like she was thinking "Oh, let's just throw this in there. Who cares?"

I'll stick with Lisa Jackson, Lisa Gardner, Tess Gerritsen, Harlan Coben, and many other top-quality writers to get my mystery/thriller kicks. At least with them I know I won't be bored out of my mind. ( )
  niaomiya | Oct 26, 2015 |
I won this book in a FirstReads giveaway on Goodreads.

The Sixes was the first book I read by this author and I really enjoyed it. Since then, every single book of hers is a must-read for me. Her plots are intriguing and her writing style so engrossing that they draw the reader in from the start. This book was no exception.

Kit Finn is an in-demand interior decorator based in Manhattan. She owns her own business, in partnership with Baby, an older and more experienced designer. Dara, a stylish woman in her twenties, is their assistant. The business is conveniently located in the same building in which Kit lives. An adjoining door provides easy access between her apartment and office.

Although bold and innovative in her professional life, Kit's personal life is just the opposite. She resolves to change this while on a business/pleasure trip to the Florida Keys. She strikes up a flirtation with Matt Healy, an attractive stranger staying at the same hotel. Coincidentally, he also lives in Manhattan and invites her to his place for dinner after they get back in town. Excited and anticipating another romantic evening, Kit is shocked when another man, who she doesn't recognize, opens the door claiming to be Matt Healy.

The chapters are short and end with cliffhangers, making it very difficult to put it down. I enjoyed the vivid descriptions of the settings and characters.The plot twists kept me guessing throughout. Also, the glimpse into the world of interior decorating was informative and interesting rather than dry and technical.

Overall, I enjoyed the novel very much. Many times I had to stop myself from reading ahead. I just couldn't wait to find out what happened next. I loved the surprise ending and am very much looking forward to her next book. ( )
  kulmona | Sep 8, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006235065X, Paperback)

New York Times bestselling author of Eyes on You and The Sixes delivers a compelling thriller of mistaken identity and psychological suspense about an accomplished career woman who thinks she’s met the man of her dreams—but instead he turns out to be her worst nightmare.

Bold and adventurous in her work as one of Manhattan’s hottest interior decorators, Kit Finn couldn’t be tamer in her personal life. So, while on vacation in the Florida Keys, Kit resolves to do something risky for once. Flirting with Matt Healy—the rugged stranger she literally bumps into at her hotel—is one thing. Going back to his room after their date is another.

Instead, Matt offers to cook her dinner when they’re both back in the city. But when Kit arrives at his luxury apartment ready for the date of a lifetime, who is the man who opens the door?

Kit’s usually so good at reading people. How could she have been taken in by the deceptions of a con man? And why has he targeted her? Piece by piece, Kit realizes that this treachery goes a lot deeper, and gets a lot deadlier. Now the only way out is to expose the vicious puppet master who’s turned her life upside-down.

Adrenaline-charged and filled with harrowing twists at every turn, The Wrong Man will leave readers guessing until the final page.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:06 -0400)

Kit's usually so good at reading people. How could she have been taken in by the deceptions of a con man? And why has he targeted her? Piece by piece, Kit realizes that this treachery goes a lot deeper, and gets a lot deadlier. Now the only way out is to expose the vicious puppet master who's turned her life upside-down. Adrenaline-charged and filled with harrowing twists at every turn, "The Wrong Man" will leave readers guessing until the final page. Kate White is the former editor-in-chief of Cosmopolitan magazine. Print run 60,000.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,741,171 books! | Top bar: Always visible