The Symbolism and Sources of Outlander: The…

The Symbolism and Sources of Outlander: The Scottish Fairies, Folklore,…

by Valerie Estelle Frankel

208515,329 (3.89)None

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is an academic look at the fabulous Outlander series. While the Outlandish Companions speak more to the characters and storyline, this book focuses on the lore and meaning behind the choices that Gabaldon has made with the series. While I wouldn't call it a must for fans, I would say that it's worth a perusal if you are obsessed with the series and all things Scottish. ( )
  StefanieGeeks | May 7, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a great addition to the collection of any Outlander fan. Intelligent and insightful, the author adds new layers to her readers' understanding of the story in a way that is both educating and entertaining. It adds extra depth to a story that is already incredibly rich, casting light on the background of the world in which the story takes place and the sources of this world that Outlander fans have come to know and love. ( )
  NicoleCenteno | Apr 29, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As a late arrival to this series (first read Outlander in 2014) I've been loving how popular it has been getting. I love the books and the show. I have only read books 1-5 though and that caused a bit of a problem when reading this book. So when I first started reading this book, I did see a few spoilers. There isn't anywhere in the beginning that mentions that it is a book about the entire series. So word of advice to those who haven't finished reading the series yet, wait until you've finished BEFORE reading this book. I really enjoyed the obvious research and detail that went in to writing this book. It is really interesting to see certain things pointed out that one might not have noticed or know about before hand. Overall, it was a really interesting book but I just was not happy about the spoilers. That is probably my biggest pet peeve. ( )
  pennma05 | Apr 18, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As a 20+ year fan of the Outlander series, and someone who enjoys research and background information, this book was very enjoyable. I liked the detailed presentation of all the details and small references, and the insight into a time and culture so different from my own. Any fan of the series, or even someone interested in Scottish history would enjoy this book...but if you are just beginning the books you may want to wait until you have read them the first time, to be sure nothing is spoiled for you. ( )
  EscapeReader | Nov 17, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was so glad to receive this book as an early reviewer. I have been reading Outlander series since it started over 20 years ago. I have reread so many times I have needed to replace several of them. This is a great addition to your library. I found it informative and interesting. So much information, in one place. I will enjoy using as a reference when reading the series again. Thank you Ms Frankel. ( )
  stacey68 | Oct 7, 2015 |

Outlander is much more than a television romance about a World War II nurse and a Jacobite soldier in a fetching kilt. The massive book series has been categorized as a period drama, adventure saga, military history, and fantasy epic. Further, those who look deeper will find an extraordinary amount of symbolism and mythology from around the world. Enter the world of myth behind Outlander , from the Fair Folk and the Loch Ness monster to the magic and lore of standing stones and the pagan Sun Feasts that control them. Reach into the original legends of culture hero Fionn Mac Cumhaill and the prophecy of the Brahan Seer that inspire parts of the saga. Discover the meaning behind popular Outlander symbols: heather and white roses, the dragonfly in amber, Claire's blue vase and shining wedding gown, her wedding ring and pearl necklace. Throughout Claire and Jaime's journey, they're surrounded by the literature and music of the time, which likewise offer a deeper significance. Claire quotes the English romantic poets of her childhood but also the anachronistic Robbie Burns and Sir Walter Scott. Later the characters encounter wendigos and ghosts, zombies and Vodou ritual, succubae, acupuncture and astrology, and much more. All in all, the Outlander , world has much more behind it for the discerning fan to discover.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 14 Apr 2015 01:16:02 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Valerie Estelle Frankel's book The Symbolism and Sources of Outlander was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Valerie Estelle Frankel is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,403,384 books! | Top bar: Always visible