dismiss

Handmaidens of Rock by Linda Gould

Handmaidens of Rock (edition 2014)

by Linda Gould

It is the late 1960s, and Jimi Hendrix is at the height of his career, America is undergoing political and social upheaval, and a rock and roll band is shaking the rafters of its suburban Maryland high school. As Preston, the founder and lead guitarist of Homegrown cranks out the tunes with keyboardist, Neal, and drummer, Brad, three girls appoint themselves as the band?s official groupies without any idea of what lies ahead for any of them. After the band members sign with a management company and make the controversial decision to replace popular Brad with another drummer, they decide to pursue a dubious lead in England, accompanied by the girls who love them: Candy, an aspiring journalist; Hope, wannabe model and fashion designer; and Theda, a thespian with big dreams. As their journey takes them to Europe and back again, the girls?challenged by love rivals, partying lifestyles, and the growing stardom of the musicians?remain determined not to be mere ?handmaidens of rock.? But it is not until Brad embarks on a vengeful quest at a festival that the three finally have the opportunity to prove their worth as grown women. Handmaidens of Rock is the compelling tale of three high-school girls who attach themselves to a rock and roll band in the late 1960s and embark on a wild adventure across the world.… (more)
Member:lgould171784
Title:Handmaidens of Rock
Authors:Linda Gould
Info:iUniverse (2014), Paperback, 290 pages
Tags:rock music, chicklit, festivals, antiwar demonstrations, groupies, rock bands

Handmaidens of Rock by Linda Gould

I received this book for free though LibraryThing's Member Giveaways.

I liked this book but I didn't love it. Out of the three girls I liked Theda the best. I did like how it explored the world of rock n roll, antiwar radicalism and free love. My favorite part was went they stayed with Flanny on his compound. ( )
  jessicadelellis | Dec 29, 2015 |
This is not the way I remember those years. Nothing in this book made me understand the tiny minority who may have been involved in this kind of thing.

Having said that, the plot was consistant, the characters well developed, the writing was good. But I didn't get the loud music, the alternative religion, the drugs, the free sex then, and I don't get it now. And when it turned violent I really disliked it. ( )
  MarthaJeanne | May 10, 2015 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Linda Gould's book Handmaidens of Rock was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,094,911 books! | Top bar: Always visible