Leila's secret by Kooshyar Karimi

Leila's secret (2015)

by Kooshyar Karimi

911,403,003 (3.38)None

I found this to be a very moving story but I did have reservations.Whilst horrified by the Taliban's treatment of women in Iran , I found story of Leila's seduction a little far fetched. I could understand why she acted like a 12 year old because of her secluded existence but even so could not believe that she would succumb to having sex with a stranger so easily. Likewise the story of the doctor Karimi. I do not believe that he would have been able to perform illegal operations for so long without the authorities finding out and then when he was arrested he seemed to get off so lightly. Surely he would have been executed for his crimes. Nevertheless it is a story written in the first person by the doctor who now lives in Australia. and well worth reading. ( )
  lesleynicol | Oct 13, 2015 |
To my wife, Misha Karimi, who has the spring of Tasmania in her eyes, the innocence of Leila in her heart, and the warmth of home in her voice
The heavy silence in the room is interrupted now and then by the sounds of a television cartoon trickling in under the locked door.

A kind of People Smuggler of the medical profession, Kooshyar Karimi's memoir tells the true story of a young Iranian woman for whom pregnancy means certain death. In working to save Leila, and countless like her, Doctor Karimi risks the lives of himself and his family.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,417,373 books! | Top bar: Always visible