A Fistful of Fig Newtons by Jean Shepherd

A Fistful of Fig Newtons (1981)

by Jean Shepherd

Shepard is such a great storyteller. This collection is one you could easily read again and again. I found myself having to stop and jot down great turns of phrase. Most memorable for me was the story about KP duty on the sealed troop train, during which "I became conscious, dimly through the hullabaloo ... that someone in my immediate vicinity was snoring fitfully... After fifteen or twenty minutes of this irritating, phlegmy sound, I realized that it was me." Classic Shepard. ( )
  tgraettinger | Jan 28, 2010 |
I find the movie 'A Christmas Story' annoying. (I don't know -- maybe it is because one channel airs it for 24 hours straight.) So I'm not sure how I ended up picking up A Fistful Of Fig Newtons by the same writer. Reading this, I was constantly laughing out loud. I wasn't even alive in the 50s (when this takes place), so you can imagine how hilarious Shepherd's writing is. If you need to laugh, read this. ( )
  booklove2 | Dec 13, 2008 |
A Fistful of Fig Newtons is another collection of short stories about the life and times of Jean Sheppard. Sheppard is also the author of In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash and Wand Hickey's Nigh of Golden Memories. Those two books were compiled into the screenplay for the film A Christmas Story.

For those unfamiliar with Sheppard's previous works, he writes humorous accounts of ordinary life in America. For the msot part, he focusses on his own life experiences as a child in Hammond, Indiana, a yound adult in the US Army, and as an adult in New York City. In A Fistful of Fig Newtons, the short stories are portrayed as reminiscences while he drives through the Lincoln Tunnel into New Jersey.

Deeply hilarious, Sheppard's stories are laced with cutting wit and a candid viewpoint of Americana. I have read three of his books, and I have found myself laughing out loud at all three of them. He describes characters and groups of people that any American can relate to, which only serves to add to the humor. A Fistful of Fig Newtons is very insightful and very, very funny. ( )
  fuzzy_patters | Mar 14, 2008 |
No one reminisces like Shepherd does. Wonderfully funny, poetic endings, too. ( )
  tzelman | Feb 18, 2008 |
You let other women make a fool of you...

Contents:

Opening
A Fistful of Fig Newtons or The Shoot-out in Room 303
The Light at the End of the Tunnel
The Mole People Battle the Forces of Darkness
Marcel Proust Meets the New Jersey Tailgater, and Survives
The Marathon Run of Lonesome Ernie, the Arkansas Traveler
Sociology 101 (Hip Division)
Lemons on the Grass, Alas
The Whole Fun Catalog of 1929
Lost at C
Ellsworth Leggett and the Great Ice Cream War
The Barbi Doll Celebrates New Year's
Closing

From the wild and wacky world of a favorite funnyman, a dozen truer-than-life tales of tailgating on the Jersey Tumpike, infuriating infants, and other everyday catastrophes, defeats, and humiliations that are the familiar fate of Americans everywhere.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:48 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,319,896 books! | Top bar: Always visible