Silent Scream by Angela Marsons

Silent Scream

by Angela Marsons

2091979,206 (3.76)12

English (18)  Italian (1)  All languages (19)
Silent Scream
4.5 Stars

Angela Marson's debut crime thriller is an excellent police procedural in the same vein as Lynda La Plante's Prime Suspect and Robert Bryndza's Erika Foster series. Despite the similarities, each author has created characters with their own unique backstories and personality traits, which makes it possible to independently appreciate the different nuances of the stories.

D. I. Kim Stone, like La Plante and Bryndza's heroines, is intelligent, resourceful and somewhat anti-social. She identifies with the victims and will stop at nothing to attain justice for them.

The plot revolving around the discovery of several corpses near and abandoned children's home is riveting yet it is possible to figure out the twists if one is paying attention to the small clues interspersed throughout the narrative. In this sense, perhaps the story is a little on the predictable side or perhaps I've simply read too many crime thrillers.

All in all, a fantastic read and I will be continuing the series ASAP. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
DI Kim Stone is called to a scene of a crime. A woman has been found murdered in a bathtub and the murder seems to be linked to a body that is discovered a little while later buried at a former children’s home. Kim Stone and her team must figure out who is behind the killing and why before more people die.

I had some trouble getting into the story, mostly because I felt a bit weary when the cops were introduced, they seem to be the usual bunch, a wish cracker, best friend, and the technical one (well surfing FB and finding clues in emails) and the gruff boss. Also, Kim Stone, the main character is a woman with a dark past in foster homes, she doesn't obey orders and has an attitude problem. And, Kim is one of my main problems with this book. The thing with orders and regulations is something that is there for everyone and every time she does something wrong in this book she is called in to see her boss, but she doesn't get suspended or taken off the case. I'm sorry, no matter how good you are as a cop. you have to obey orders. I'm having a hard time seeing how this would work in the real world. And then towards to end when she breaks into the former children’s home to look for something, All ALONE at night. Come on. She doesn't tell anyone and she goes by herself. There is a killer loose, but who cares, let's play recklessly.

Another thing that bothered me was how convenient everything was:

1. We have a former children’s home. Kim was a foster home child and has spent time in children's home.

2. There are two sisters in the story, they are twins. Kim was a twin.

3. Someone is mentally ill. Kim's mother is mentally ill.

So of course, this makes her the perfect cop to solve the crimes! Also, we have a killer that decided that Kim is the perfect adversary. That's new, never happens in books...

To the plus side. I had problems getting into the story, that's true, but it got better around 50% into the story. Things started to happen and the story got more intense. Also, I was totally blindsided when it came to the ending of the book. And, despite the fact that the cops felt a bit stereotypical. I did come to like them, including Kim. I just hope that next case hasn't any similarities with her life. ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
Book Description:
Even the darkest secrets can’t stay buried forever…
Five figures gather round a shallow grave. They had all taken turns to dig. An adult sized hole would have taken longer. An innocent life had been taken but the pact had been made. Their secrets would be buried, bound in blood … Years later, a headmistress is found brutally strangled, the first in a spate of gruesome murders which shock the Black Country. But when human remains are discovered at a former children’s home, disturbing secrets are also unearthed. D.I. Kim Stone fast realizes she’s on the hunt for a twisted individual whose killing spree spans decades. As the body count rises, Kim needs to stop the murderer before they strike again. But to catch the killer, can Kim confront the demons of her own past before it’s too late?

My Review:
This is an excellent debut by Angela Marsons. The characters are all very interesting. I especially enjoyed the characters of D.I. Kim Stone and D.S. Bryant. They make a great team. The plot was intricate with many twists and turns which made it a real page-turner. The book took off from the very beginning and held my attention until the very surprising ending. I look forward to reading the 2nd book in the series very soon and highly recommend this book to those who love mystery thrillers. ( )
  EadieB | Oct 9, 2017 |
I'm pretty late coming to this series and I'm really glad I finally got around to it.

DI Kim Stone is likeable, flawed and driven. She was one of the highlights of the book and I'd be happy reading more in the series because she's so different and interesting.

The storyline is multi-layered and that's what gives this book the edge. There's a complex story which is rooted in terrible crimes against girls/children in the past, which took place at a Children's Home. Then there are murders in the present and present day conspiracy. Wow.

The solving of the crime in the past was well done by the author but what made it great was the solving of the crimes in the present - that came as a fantastic twist.

My only negatives in this book were the 'coincidences' which were, at times, a bit difficult to swallow - Kim was brought up in a Children's Home, Kim was a twin and there is a twin main character in the story. Plus Kim seems to be the only police officer with any intelligence.
Also, it was a quick read, which, for me, is not always a good sign.
Still, it's a great police procedural, and you can't have it all. ( )
  AnnGirdharry | Aug 21, 2017 |
I received an ARC copy in exchange for an honest review. Many thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture.
I would like to begin by apologising to friends and family for completely ignoring them for the last two days, blame Angela Marsons. It’s not often that I find a book so compelling but Silent Scream just ticked every box for me. Gruesome killer, mysterious goings on at a children’s home, strong but honest and caring police officer and (important for me) no irritating love story stealing attention from the crimes.
This book is immensely satisfying. The characterisation is great, the dialogue is convincing and sounds genuine (I’m not overly familiar with this part of the world). Kim has a back story that is revealed slowly and ties in nicely with the crimes that are being uncovered. My only possible criticism is that with all the awful things that have happened to her she seemed almost too well adjusted!
At one point I thought I had it all figured out, I was completely wrong and then the author threw another twist into the tale. I am usually quite good at spotting clues in crime novels but in the end I just sat back and enjoyed the ride.
This is a cracking debut that I enjoyed immensely and I look forward to more from this author impatiently.
  angelaoatham | Feb 21, 2017 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 190949092X, Paperback)

Even the darkest secrets can’t stay buried forever…

Five figures gather round a shallow grave. They had all taken turns to dig. An adult sized hole would have taken longer. An innocent life had been taken but the pact had been made. Their secrets would be buried, bound in blood … Years later, a headmistress is found brutally strangled, the first in a spate of gruesome murders which shock the Black Country. But when human remains are discovered at a former children’s home, disturbing secrets are also unearthed. D.I. Kim Stone fast realises she’s on the hunt for a twisted individual whose killing spree spans decades. As the body count rises, Kim needs to stop the murderer before they strike again. But to catch the killer, can Kim confront the demons of her own past before it’s too late? Fans of Rachel Abbott, Val McDermid and Mark Billingham will be gripped by this exceptional new voice in British crime fiction.

Watch out for more from D.I. Kim Stone

A Detective hiding dark secrets, Kim Stone will stop at nothing to protect the innocent. Silent Scream is the first book in the series – watch out for EVIL GAMES coming soon.

What people are saying about Silent Scream

A superb debut by an assured new writer. Blending sharp wit with emotion, I thoroughly enjoyed the ride alongside DI Kim Stone and look forward to the next outing.’ Mel Sherratt ‘I started reading ‘Silent Scream’ thinking I would just read a few chapters. I ended up reading it all… I love it when an author chooses a dark topic and does it incredibly well… An excellent read and one I would happily recommend.Northern Crime ‘This is a fantastic debut novel by Marsons. The blurb said that if you were a fan of Val McDermid and Mark Billingham you would love this book and being a huge fan of both I thought I would give it a go and I was pleasantly surprised… With lots of twists and turns this is a real page turner and I would highly recommend it.’ The Laughing Librarian

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:46 -0400)

Even the darkest secrets can't stay buried forever. Five figures gather round a shallow grave. They had all taken turns to dig. An adult-sized hole would have taken longer. An innocent life had been taken but the pact had been made. Their secrets would be buried, bound in blood. Years later, a headmistress is found brutally strangled, the first in a spate of gruesome murders which shock the Black Country. But when human remains are discovered at a former children's home, disturbing secrets are also unearthed. D.I. Kim Stone fast realises she's on the hunt for a twisted individual whose killing spree spans decades. As the body count rises, Kim needs to stop the murderer before they strike again. But to catch the killer, can Kim confront the demons of her own past before it's too late?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,963,774 books! | Top bar: Always visible