Silent Scream by Angela Marsons

Silent Scream (2015)

by Angela Marsons

2622066,987 (3.82)27
Even the darkest secrets can't stay buried forever. Five figures gather round a shallow grave. They had all taken turns to dig. An adult-sized hole would have taken longer. An innocent life had been taken but the pact had been made. Their secrets would be buried, bound in blood. Years later, a headmistress is found brutally strangled, the first in a spate of gruesome murders which shock the Black Country. But when human remains are discovered at a former children's home, disturbing secrets are also unearthed. D.I. Kim Stone fast realises she's on the hunt for a twisted individual whose killing spree spans decades. As the body count rises, Kim needs to stop the murderer before they strike again. But to catch the killer, can Kim confront the demons of her own past before it's too late?… (more)

English (19)  Italian (1)  All languages (20)
I absolutely love everything about this series...from the plot to the characters. I am really impressed with how they support one another. There's no bickering or back stabbing in the police force. Not everyone necessarily agrees with everyone but they respect their right to say it or believe it. I have read so many of these books... both British and American... that the entire story is taken up with fighting in the ranks and not enough investigating and solving the crime. If you want real down to earth police work...this series is diffidently your "cuppa tea". ( )
  Carol420 | Aug 1, 2019 |
DI Kim Stone is called to a scene of a crime. A woman has been found murdered in a bathtub and the murder seems to be linked to a body that is discovered a little while later buried at a former children’s home. Kim Stone and her team must figure out who is behind the killing and why before more people die.

I had some trouble getting into the story, mostly because I felt a bit weary when the cops were introduced, they seem to be the usual bunch, a wish cracker, best friend, and the technical one (well surfing FB and finding clues in emails) and the gruff boss. Also, Kim Stone, the main character is a woman with a dark past in foster homes, she doesn't obey orders and has an attitude problem. And, Kim is one of my main problems with this book. The thing with orders and regulations is something that is there for everyone and every time she does something wrong in this book she is called in to see her boss, but she doesn't get suspended or taken off the case. I'm sorry, no matter how good you are as a cop. you have to obey orders. I'm having a hard time seeing how this would work in the real world. And then towards to end when she breaks into the former children’s home to look for something, All ALONE at night. Come on. She doesn't tell anyone and she goes by herself. There is a killer loose, but who cares, let's play recklessly.

Another thing that bothered me was how convenient everything was:

1. We have a former children’s home. Kim was a foster home child and has spent time in children's home.

2. There are two sisters in the story, they are twins. Kim was a twin.

3. Someone is mentally ill. Kim's mother is mentally ill.

So of course, this makes her the perfect cop to solve the crimes! Also, we have a killer that decided that Kim is the perfect adversary. That's new, never happens in books...

To the plus side. I had problems getting into the story, that's true, but it got better around 50% into the story. Things started to happen and the story got more intense. Also, I was totally blindsided when it came to the ending of the book. And, despite the fact that the cops felt a bit stereotypical. I did come to like them, including Kim. I just hope that next case hasn't any similarities with her life. ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
Silent Scream
4.5 Stars

Angela Marson's debut crime thriller is an excellent police procedural in the same vein as Lynda La Plante's Prime Suspect and Robert Bryndza's Erika Foster series. Despite the similarities, each author has created characters with their own unique backstories and personality traits, which makes it possible to independently appreciate the different nuances of the stories.

D. I. Kim Stone, like La Plante and Bryndza's heroines, is intelligent, resourceful and somewhat anti-social. She identifies with the victims and will stop at nothing to attain justice for them.

The plot revolving around the discovery of several corpses near and abandoned children's home is riveting yet it is possible to figure out the twists if one is paying attention to the small clues interspersed throughout the narrative. In this sense, perhaps the story is a little on the predictable side or perhaps I've simply read too many crime thrillers.

All in all, a fantastic read and I will be continuing the series ASAP. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
Book Description:
Even the darkest secrets can’t stay buried forever…
Five figures gather round a shallow grave. They had all taken turns to dig. An adult sized hole would have taken longer. An innocent life had been taken but the pact had been made. Their secrets would be buried, bound in blood … Years later, a headmistress is found brutally strangled, the first in a spate of gruesome murders which shock the Black Country. But when human remains are discovered at a former children’s home, disturbing secrets are also unearthed. D.I. Kim Stone fast realizes she’s on the hunt for a twisted individual whose killing spree spans decades. As the body count rises, Kim needs to stop the murderer before they strike again. But to catch the killer, can Kim confront the demons of her own past before it’s too late?

My Review:
This is an excellent debut by Angela Marsons. The characters are all very interesting. I especially enjoyed the characters of D.I. Kim Stone and D.S. Bryant. They make a great team. The plot was intricate with many twists and turns which made it a real page-turner. The book took off from the very beginning and held my attention until the very surprising ending. I look forward to reading the 2nd book in the series very soon and highly recommend this book to those who love mystery thrillers. ( )
  EadieB | Oct 9, 2017 |
I'm pretty late coming to this series and I'm really glad I finally got around to it.

DI Kim Stone is likeable, flawed and driven. She was one of the highlights of the book and I'd be happy reading more in the series because she's so different and interesting.

The storyline is multi-layered and that's what gives this book the edge. There's a complex story which is rooted in terrible crimes against girls/children in the past, which took place at a Children's Home. Then there are murders in the present and present day conspiracy. Wow.

The solving of the crime in the past was well done by the author but what made it great was the solving of the crimes in the present - that came as a fantastic twist.

My only negatives in this book were the 'coincidences' which were, at times, a bit difficult to swallow - Kim was brought up in a Children's Home, Kim was a twin and there is a twin main character in the story. Plus Kim seems to be the only police officer with any intelligence.
Also, it was a quick read, which, for me, is not always a good sign.
Still, it's a great police procedural, and you can't have it all. ( )
  AnnGirdharry | Aug 21, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,086,561 books! | Top bar: Always visible