Diary of a Haunting by M. Verano

Diary of a Haunting

by M. Verano

What's It About?
an American teen recounts the strange events that occur after she moves into a new—and very haunted—home with her family in this chilling diary that features photos and images of what she experienced.

Letters, photographs, and a journal…all left behind in the harrowing aftermath. Following her parents’ high-profile divorce, Paige and her brother are forced to move to Idaho with their mother, and Paige doesn’t have very high hopes for her new life. The small town they’ve moved to is nothing compared to the life she left behind in LA. And the situation is made even worse by the drafty old mansion they’ve rented that’s filled with spiders and plenty of other pests that Paige can’t even bear to imagine. soon, strange things start to happen around the house—one can of ravioli becomes a dozen, unreadable words start appearing on the walls, and Paige’s little brother begins roaming the house late at night. And there’s something not right about the downstairs neighbor who seems to know a lot more than he’s letting on. Things only get creepier when she learns about the cult that conducted experimental rituals in the house almost one hundred years earlier. The more Paige investigates, the clearer it all becomes: there’s something in the house, and whatever it is…and it won’t be backing down without a fight.

What Did I Think?
I was amazed that this was a YA book. I wondered if the author used that genre because he just couldn't bring himself to call it non-fiction.

Mr. Verano, the author, is an associate professor of history and curator of the North Idaho historical text collection. His research includes the occult and supernatural folk histories....so it was a bit of fiction and quiet a lot of truth involved in his writing of [Diary of A Haunting]. The house exists...the characters were actual residents of the house...and the psychologist testified at the trial of Paige Blanton...the main character. This all took some of the "it's just a story" out of the equation and turned it into "what really happened in that house?" Dr. Verano says he leaves it to the reader to form their own conclusions...but there are several events that just have no logical or scientific explanations.

I liked the book for what it was. An easy read with a element of goose-bumps. I would have liked for Dr. Verano to have expanded more on what he really thought had or had not actually happened. ( )
  Carol420 | Aug 31, 2017 |
This is a creepy book that definitely lives up to its incredibly creepy cover.

I love books that are the equivalent of "found footage". In this case, it is an online journal, photographs, old pamphlets, and letters.

Our main source of information is Paige, the teenage daughter of the family who has moved into the mysterious home. She begins to keep an online journal of what is occurring in the house, from spider and fly infestations, to disappearing and duplicated food. Her brother Logan isn't sleeping, and her mother dismisses everything offhand as spirits simply expressing themselves.

The downstairs neighbor, Raph, begins to provide Paige and her new friend, Chloe, with more information about who and what lived in the home previously, leading Paige on a desperate hunt to figure out what is going on and stop it before it gets any worse.

This book is really creepy. As someone with a fear of spiders, those sections were especially skin crawling for me. The tension builds and builds, until the terrifying ending, that comes with a shocking scary twist. ( )
  seasonsoflove | Oct 12, 2016 |
Though different from what I was expecting, I definitely enjoyed this book. The plot kept me on the edge of my seat and the characters were all very dynamic. This was a creepy story for sure, but I found it fell just shy of scary. Though there were horrific elements in Diary of a Haunting, I didn't feel like it ever crossed into horror. Except for all the spiders. I really hate spiders.
Also: A+ dust jacket design! ( )
  clear_tranquil | Sep 11, 2016 |
Truly, don't judge this book by its cover. Yes, it was creepy and I kept expecting the erratically inserted photos to scare me, but overall it was not what I expected. I think the author got just on the verge of really scaring his readers and then just stopped. ( )
  grammarchick | Jul 10, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,648,617 books! | Top bar: Always visible